Fun Facts and Social Media

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
Chris
Admin
Admin

As you all know, the closed season period can be a little boring, and for us it is the most challenging time of year to keep social media as exciting as the open season, so we need your help.

Have you ever wondered what was originally planned for where Nemesis now resides at Alton Towers Resort? Or perhaps you want to know how many bricks make up the models in Miniland at Legoland Windsor Resort? Maybe you already know the answer to these and other facts about the many rides and attractions across the Merlin theme park resorts. If so, this is your chance to share your knowledge.

We know our community has a wealth of knowledge about Merlin rides and attractions both past and present and we’d love for you to share what you know. Maybe you have a fun fact about one of Thorpe Park Resort’s thrilling coasters, or perhaps you can share something about one of Chessington World of Adventure Resort’s animal residents? Whatever it is, no matter how big or small, share it below.

We’ll be selecting some of the most fun, quirky, and interesting facts to pair with one of Paul's fantastic photos, and then to share on TowersTimes and SouthParks’ social media channels. So, get thinking and we can’t wait to see what you all have to share.
Dom

This is a really random fact that I only just found myself, but in 2006 Stealth was actually blessed by a minister
Morgan

I've got a DBGT one so I've put it in spoiler tags
Spoiler
When exiting the live-action scene into the platform you can see the logo for Trick or Treat painted onto the wall- one of Derren's earlier TV shows.
NemesisRider

Did you know that the shells used to mould The Swarm's cars were used on another Merlin coaster, Flug Der Daemonen at Heide Park?

Not the most unique fact ever, but pretty interesting. I also checked: Raptor didn't use the same ones :P
theparklifekid

The Guinness World Record certificate for most naked people on a rollercoaster is sitting in the ride operators booth in Nemesis Inferno.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Burniel

On Beanoland's last day of operation at Chessington World of Adventures before its 2010 re-theme to Wild Asia (20th September 2009), they had a massive pie fight in the area where visitors were invited to lob pies at each other across the area.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Great stuff, keep them coming!
Burniel

Detonator was originally rushed in after the original plans for a ride to replace those damaged in the fire were shelved. Being over their ceiling height at the time, it was granted permission to run for one season only to buy some time for a permanent ride to be designed. Since then, it has received two extensions to its planning permissions due to its popularity and now has permanent permissions.

Good luck getting that one in a Tweet :P
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
theparklifekid

Derren Browns Ghost Train wasn't the first time VR was present at Thorpe Park! The Virtual Reality Centre was an arcade that was located somewhere near Detonator and opened in 1993. Inside were 4 VR pods where you'd play a WW1 Dog fight game and a sword fighting one.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
TheDuke

Galactica also wasnt the first VR in alton towers either in the early 2000s there was a good a virtual reality game that multiple people took part in situated in Merrie England
Morgan

In 2016 Vampire's announcements were merged with the sound of an organ- that organ SFX was actually used in the original Hex in 2000.
Tom

TheDuke wrote:Galactica also wasnt the first VR in alton towers either in the early 2000s there was a good a virtual reality game that multiple people took part in situated in Merrie England
I'd actually completely forgotten about that, I'm not sure what it was called but something like Knights Challenge sounds familiar? If I remember rightly you had to pay about £4 to go in.

We have a photo of where it once stood in our archives:
[align=center]Image[/align]
At this point it had obviously been removed and was replaced with some other game stall.
TheDuke

Tom-TT wrote:
I'd actually completely forgotten about that, I'm not sure what it was called but something like Knights Challenge sounds familiar? If I remember rightly you had to pay about £4 to go in.

At this point it had obviously been removed and was replaced with some other game stall.
Thats the one unfortunately I cant actually remember what the VR was like or what you did but I do remember everyone laughing passing by as they watched people playing it
Adz
Admin
Admin

TheDuke wrote:
Tom-TT wrote:

Thats the one unfortunately I cant actually remember what the VR was like or what you did but I do remember everyone laughing passing by as they watched people playing it
Chessington also had a similar addition, it was inexplicably in Mexicana opposite the entrance to Rattlesnake. :)
Luce

Probably a well known one, but thought I'd put in in anyway just in case. The Magic Mill boat ride which used to be at Thorpe Park, had an indoor section that had singing frogs and they sang the Frog Chorus by Paul McCartney (otherwise know as We All Stand Together).