Quiz nights improvements

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
QMi

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for taking part.

Secondly, if you have any constructive opinions on how to improve the running of the quiz, or indeed anything you think went particularlyw ell, please comment or PM me and let me know.

Don't use this to just have a go, if you saw an issue, please offer a solution if possible.

Thank you again!
Jack

one thing that i think needs improvement is the fact that the SB is used to have a good time and that the quiz stops people from doing that, not sure if this is possible, but maybe when the quiz is on have a seperate SB, apart from that, it was fun...although...spammers
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Well it certainly proved to be very popular last night, which is what essentially caused all the problems.

Somehow, more control needs to be established to minimise the amount of messages people send. Whether this be to only message when giving an answer or if there's an issue, I'm not sure. However, I feel being controlling like that in a part of the forum which is meant to be quite laid back, may be controversial. As much as I understand the reason for people being banned yesterday, in any ordinary scenario they wouldn't have been, and so that could be viewed as a bit of an exaggerated sanction for something which is relatively minor.

We could reduce the amount of posts by not allowing Team members to answer, seeing as they're not officially participating in the quiz, they are just contributing unnecessary messages which may make the difference between whether someone sees the question or not.

In a way, I feel the SB isn't the place for it, as some people just want to retire there to have a casual chat with fellow TT members, and not have there internet completely lag out as a result of 30 or so people, simultaneously messaging. This lag causes friction between participants as they see the question at different times, but I can understand that is out of your control. I'm not sure whether this a venture which should have been kept until TT Chat is available, as that may be better suited to such an event.

Okay, and now for some things which are perhaps a bit more in your control. I think the quiz should be earlier, 7pm maybe, as people started to leave towards the end. Somehow, the amount of time it lasts needs to be reduced, however that shouldn't be solved with changing the amount of questions, as I think that's just about right. Maybe, be a bit quicker with the questions, and try to discourage random comments in between the questions.

I would say that the researching rule is a bit pointless. As we saw, answers are almost immediate so anyone googling the answer or whatever is unlikely to get there first. Obviously, in the scenario when an answer is unknown, then people should be free to research, and whoever gets there first will get the points.

Although I had my doubts, the tiered point system seems to work quite well. It gave people a chance to get at least a few points, and it isn't flawed by people copying whoever answers first. However, I was unsure how the points worked when there were multiple points available, such as in the final round, so that is something which needs to be made clearer.

To conclude, it definitely improved towards the end, as announcing that the question was about to be said, did mean that it didn't get rapidly lost in lots of messages. I just don't think the popularity was predicted, and as a result caused some problems, whether or not it will be that popular every week, who knows?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Okay, only a single suggestion this time, unlike the last hefty post!

Overall, I would say the quiz ran much smoother this week, probably down to there being less people, and participants appreciating that it pays to be quiet.

All I would say, is that there needs to be some clarity on whether abbreviations are acceptable answers, as some members will take the time to write the answer out fully, and then be beaten to it because someone answered with only a few letters.

That is all, thanks to everyone who made it possible and see you next week (when I will attempt to claim the top spot).
Emma

Would like to say thanks for a very successful Quiznight. It was fun and ran really smoothly- much better than last week. I even manged to get some points, happy days!

I look forward to the quiz next week!
QMi

Hi there Lewis and thank you for your feedback.

Abbreviations like FV/GW/XS/CCL/SL/MB are acceptable for the park sections, other than that, all other answers must be given in full.

Spelling isn't that important, as long as I can understand the answer you're trying to give, I won't penalize people for typing errors.

However where countries are required, the full COUNTRY is needed, not state/city (but USA would be allowed as a common abbreviation).

If there are further questions about permitted answer forms, please feel free to ask.
Martin

How do you enter this quiz? :?
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
Kirsty25

Wilson10 wrote: How do you enter this quiz? :?
its at 7.30-8 pm Monday night in the shoutbox on the main page. Details of the exact time will be available later this week!