Mega Road Trip (US)

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Hello Tom

Hello there!

My partner and I are theme park / coaster enthusiasts and are planning a mega road trip for our honeymoon later in the year - it’s going to be absolutely MEGA!!! Most people couldn’t give two hoots but I have to share my excitement somewhere... with fellow UK enthusiasts seems a good idea!

Parks we are going to visit (if this doesn’t get you pumped up as a theme park fan I don’t know what will):

Dollywood
Carowinds
Kings Dominion
Kennywood
Kings Island
Cedar Point

Top anticipated rides (which I guess is really me just showing off - sorry):

Lightening Rod
Fury 325
Twisted Timbers
Intimidator 305
Phantom’s Revenge
Orion
Mystic Timbers
Steel Vengeance
Millennium Force
Top Thrill Dragster
Maverick

Was thinking of maybe doing a trip report in due course if there’s enough interest. I’ve done Florida a few times, a few European parks and the Uk parks to death. Shambhala at Port Aventura is by far away the best coaster I’ve ever been on, nothing comes close (my only hyper coaster credit) and that is like an ant compared to Fury 325. I’m buzzing already!

Anyone have any thoughts / tips? Cheers all.
Swarm Chris

Looks like you've planned out an amazing trip! There are certainly people here who have been to all of these parks, so should be able to help if you have any specific questions.

And yes, photos and reports are always enjoyable to see! :)
Ladyofthelake

That looks like an amazing trip, I've no doubt you will have a great time! Make sure you do post a trip report when you're back :)

A couple of tips for you as I've been fortunate enough to visit most of those parks.

As you plan to visit four Cedar Fair owned parks (Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Kings Island, and Cedar Point), I would suggest buying a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. This will give you unlimited entry to all Cedar Fair parks, as well as free parking, and discounts on food and merchandise. You can buy the passes online in advance before you go (it's a really easy system), just make sure you buy them through the website of the Cedar Fair park you're visiting first (as you cannot pick up a pass purchased through the Kings Dominion website at Carowinds for example).

Make sure you do a bit of research to see how many days you'd need at each park. Some will be able to be done in one day, especially if it's quiet, however, others will need more than one day. In particular, I'd recommend a minimum of two days at Cedar Point, ideally three to get the most of it. Speaking of Cedar Point, I'd also recommend keeping an eye on Top Thrill Dragster as it can be a bit temperamental so if you see it operating I'd advise jumping on it, just in case it then decides to go down for the rest of your visit! Dollywood is also worth spending a couple of days at it is simply a stunning park. Also, you HAVE to try the cinnamon bread at Dollywood - it is probably the best theme park food offering I have ever tasted!

I'm not sure what your budget is, however, if the funds do allow then I can recommend Dollywood's Dreamore Resort. It is a stunning hotel, and well worth staying t if you can. Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point is also very good and perfectly located next to the theme park and the beach so you get the best of both.

Hopefully those few things help out, and if you have any other questions I'm happy to help if I can :)
Hello Tom

Thanks both - appreciate the tips! :D

Yes, we’ve booked a platinum pass :) My e-ticket says I can get the photo ID processed at any cedar fair park, which is pretty handy since it turns out some of the parks are closed mid week in August so I’m rejigging my route to hit Kings Island first rather than Carowinds! I clearly assumed that they follow UK school holiday times but evidently not.

Cinnamon bread is on the list for sure and I’m very tempted by the Dollywood hotel... looks very plush :)

Hotel Breakers is already booked!

I think my eyes might be getting the best of me as I’m really tempted to go to Holiday World too. Both of us want to go but that then becomes 7 parks in 11 full days (with two half days) with about 34 hours of driving.... that’s not going to be pretty. Ahh, FOMO, you are very cruel indeed!!

Anyone have thought on ‘down days’ generally. Basically I always try and max out after one year we opted to go to a mall rather than Typhoon Lagoon and we realised it was a terrible plan - we could have gone shopping anywhere and missed out.

@ladyofthelake did you ever make it to Holiday World?

Thanks again all! :D
Chris
Admin
Admin

Holiday World is a beautiful park with wonderful hospitality, and free soda refills!

I have not been since they installed Thunderbird, but the woodies are all fantastic.