Thorpe Park MAP Day 8/3/15

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Danny

So for the first time ever, my family brought Premium MAP in the sale, and we thought what best way to break them in than to attend the TP annual pass weekend! We went on the Sunday, after hearing some pretty bad stories of the day before, but chose to go nonetheless.

We arrived at 9:45 and headed straight to the Anuual Pass building to collect our passes. We were served straight away and the guys on the desk were very helpful. The park opened at 9:50 and we got in he queue. The queue was very long, but we were in within 8 minutes to be presise ;)

The main boards were all advertising Saw, Quantum and Rush to be open, although it didn't surprise me they weren't. Queues reached 1 hour for X and Storm Surge, with the coasters staying at 15 minutes or lower. Most were a walk on.
The sight of Slammer is rather concerning, covered in scaffolding with no work taking place all day, GS do not think it'll be open by Thursday.
Rush had Cherry pickers and so did quantum and of course we're closed all day.
A source told me what they knew about Saw, and that it was looking unlikely, though possible, that it would open on Thursday. They also spoke of a new family ride for this year (whether he was hinting at IMC maze or not I didn't ask) but sounds like something Merlin would do, they love a late opening! :roll:
He also told me that over the next two years they are reviewing their change on target market, which at current is families. They may opt to target young adults again if this doesn't work. This probably means the dark ride will have a low height restriction, that could be good or bad I suppose.
ANYWAY...
We had a fairly good day with this ride count:
The Swarm F x3
The Swarm B x4
Stealth x 7
AB4D
NI x3
Colossus x 1
Zodiac
Vortex
Detonator
Flying fish
Now some changes I've noticed, I'm not sure if anyone's reported them here:
Nemesis Inferno Photo shop has gone and will be part of IAC maze, which means a longer walk around in to the shop, but they have some great jungle merchandise ready!
The remote control card oppersite Rush have gone, with the figures and mini buildings removed and fresh concrete laid.
Rumba Rapids boats all sitting along the access road, minus the inflated tyres.
Colossus still running on 1 train so very lengthy queues for this.
From detonator and NI you get amazing views of the dark ride site, I never realised how huge it was! The Carousel has been boarded up with the rest of the site, and the ground work is well underway with it all smooth and level now.

The days breakdowns:
The Swarm opened at 10:30 for technical issues. Then at 3:45 for 20 minutes whilst I was right at the front of the queue.
Nemesis Inferno went down for half hour in the afternoon for tech issues, I was at the front ofthe front row queue and we got evac'd.
Vortex ceased operation as someone left their lunch all over the seats and faces of those oppersite while riding. I was at the front of the queue...
Stealth broke down for about 5 minutes, front row.

I think that's it. But it was also very obvious it was the newbies testing day as some rides were horrifically operated, Detonator guy was leaving some up for at least two minutes, others 10 seconds. He found it funny, but when people are just jumping in the queue for a quick go, it wasn't working.

Overall it was a nice day on park. We wasn't aiming to squeeze in lots of rides, but just enjoy the day with no rushing. Thorpe seem to have an issue with breakdowns, it seems to be incredibly consistent with something going down every day without fail. But we knew this so expected it, and made the most it, and for the breakdowns, The Swarm stayed open until 5! Stealth we was riding alone and they just kept sending us round and the staff sure know how to look after their guests.
Well done Thorpe, and a huge applause to the two engineers that seemed to be constantly going round to the broken down rides, as well as trying to prepare the closed ones for season! :lol