The Smiler

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
getothing

Nemesis vs the smiler.

To start with, nemesis, with is great forces, is fast, very fun and very intense. The theming is very good and rather comfortable

The Smiler is twice what Nemesis is, even the second bunny hop is very intense, moreso than Nemesis

The station is spectacular, with 3D projection mapping and the shop having a glass floor to see a part of the indoor section.

In general, The Smiler gives much higher thrills than Nemesis, with The Smiler, you smile and you don't know why. Nemesis is fast and intense... But I am not going against those who defend Nemesis, The Smiler is more forceful than Nemesis during the second part of the track, say those who would give the crown to The Smiler.

I have been on Furious Baco, Dragon Khan, Shambhala, Gordurix, Colossus and Saw: The Ride; for me the best at the side of The Smiler
It is a coaster that has surpassed all of my expectations, its incredibly long and when you get off, it seems that it couldn't possibly have been real with how big it is!!

The effects, which I felt, are:

The Disorientater -Heartline roll in a dark room, with flashes - a great sensation!

The tickler-You don't notice it but it is impressionable from the queue line.

The flasher-It looks like you are going to hit it. When the train passes underneath it, it lights up, it's cool!

The giggler-Smoke with a strange smell

The inoculator- It is brutal, it squirts water at you and when you go by, you notice a coolness.

The hypnotiser-I didn't have time to see it lol.

Overall, hurray for John and his new coaster, which is quite possibly the best coaster in the world!!
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
MatthewR1990

You want my review...

THAT'S IS ALL!

Seriously though, it is undeniably amazing. No point with an in depth review to be homest we all know what happens. The only downside was It was a bit rough near the end of the day (not painful, but rough). And the restraints are a little roomy. They hold your thighs great, it's your shoulders that take a bit of a knock here and there. Also after my first go they stopped the smoke and flasher on the Inside drop. But nothing can take away the experience with this thing.
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Ben-TT

As some people will know, and you can read above, my opening day review was not good. I didn't like the banging and the roughness. People were surprised that I didn't like the ride. So I returned today to see what all the hype was about...
Today I had 3 more rides - each one was different.

1st ride - back row. Ride was ok, slightly rough, but on the whole ok.

2nd ride - front row - I was blown away. The ride was smooth and I really was smiling. The speed that you enter some of the inversions is awesome. I really did enjoy the ride, and I can now see what the hype is about.

3rd ride - where do I start? I could tell even before the 1st lift hill that I was on the rough train. Jesus christ, I am surprised the thing didn't shake itself to pieces. The vibrations were causing the floor to rattle the whole way around. The ride was so rough. The vibrations were insane. I really really did not enjoy this ride. I literally couldn't wait to get off. Going up the second lift hill I was dreading the last three inversions: coming out of the second cobra roll, christ, that 12th inversion is so badly profiled it's more painful than the corkscrew. The two twists/corkscrews after are not much better and frankly really hurt.

So, in conclusion, I think the quality of the ride depends on which train you get on. Front row (or any row) on a smooth train then awesome - you will have a great ride. Outside on a rough train = bad news.
Hopefully over time, through bedding in the wheels and some adjustments, the trains will smooth out, and The Smiler really will be an awesome ride. However, I won't be riding for a while because that final ride of the day was absolutely dreadful.

Smile - sometimes!
swfcjambo

WOW!!!! WHAT A RIDE.

Been today, 2h15mins queue....but worth every minute of waiting.

I've not seen one picture that does it justice - nothing captures the size of the ride, the height or how compact it actually is... (bit of a contradiction there), it really does take your breath away when you walk into X-sector. The cattlepen queue is ok, you constantly have different views of different parts of the ride. The ride itself is a bit rough at times, but you just can't help to come off smiling....

I came off, unable to queue again, but went straight to customer service and bought return tickets, so I'll be back agin later in the year (month...)

ITS WICKED!!!!
NemmyJunkie

Amazing - the amount of air time, twists & turns and different elements it has is immense ! :)
SonicChips

[Stttrrrrreeeeeeeetttccchhh] Been a while since I've posted........

I was supposed to be going on Wednesday this week but had to delay it by a day, very ironically due to having a new washing machine delivered! Anyway, time for a review; where to begin....

Queue - It was long. I didn't find the queue as entertaining as I expected. It might be worth noting that I get bored as easily as an ADD sufferer who's watching paint dry. For me, it was just a queue - although much thanks to the guy who managed to start a queue long mexican wave! Overall, it was worth it because.....

The ride - It was good. I knew and know the track but looking at it and playing the game et cetera can only prepare you for...... well, nothing! The physical feeling of the ride is one of "unfeelingness" (yes, that IS a real word). Upon the gate opening I was in my seat, strapped in and ready to go within seconds. Slapping my knees like a 7 yr old on his way to Disney World. The inside bit was a nice little teaser, then climbing the first lift I recall looking to my right and declaring, "Meh...... Meeehhhh. MEH! MEH!" At the half way point I was a little dizzy, more so than at the end. (I'm not sure if this is because I was "warmed up" for what was to come in the second half.) I'd read that the last couple of inversions are a little brutal. I rode it twice and on the former ride, the penultimate inversion crushed my right testicle. Yes they are a little brutal. (You'll be pleased to know that for my second ride I took a moment to re-adjust my seating position before leaving the station. This prevented any further castration.)

One thing to note (and I think this may have been mentioned already too); if you are insistant on having your arms waving in the air like one of those whaky whailing inflatable arm flailing tube men, then you might get a few bruises. If like the other 15 people on my train and you wish to hold on to a harness, you will escape without any battle wounds.

I got two rides on it - one on front row and one on the back. I'm not sure what others think but personally I found the back much more entertaining.

Also, the staff are really great! At one point, just after getting off the ride, I was being followed and laughed at by one memer of staff. When I turned round, she ran off! Just a little touch, but it's these little things that make the difference.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'd like to publically humiliate the person who asked a member of staff where the X Factor was. "Do you mean X Sector?" asked the staff. "Yes". "You're in it!"

Tool.
ManiaMuse

SonicChips wrote: [Stttrrrrreeeeeeeetttccchhh] Been a while since I've posted........

I'd read that the last couple of inversions are a little brutal. I rode it twice and on the former ride, the penultimate inversion crushed my right testicle. Yes they are a little brutal. (You'll be pleased to know that for my second ride I took a moment to re-adjust my seating position before leaving the station. This prevented any further castration.)

One thing to note (and I think this may have been mentioned already too); if you are insistant on having your arms waving in the air like one of those whaky whailing inflatable arm flailing tube men, then you might get a few bruises. If like the other 15 people on my train and you wish to hold on to a harness, you will escape without any battle wounds.
Succinct advice.

And yes, whacky wailing inflatable arm flailing tube men deserve any bruises they get while riding coasters.
SonicChips

ManiaMuse wrote:
SonicChips wrote: [Stttrrrrreeeeeeeetttccchhh] Been a while since I've posted........

I'd read that the last couple of inversions are a little brutal. I rode it twice and on the former ride, the penultimate inversion crushed my right testicle. Yes they are a little brutal. (You'll be pleased to know that for my second ride I took a moment to re-adjust my seating position before leaving the station. This prevented any further castration.)

Succinct advice.

And yes, whacky wailing inflatable arm flailing tube men deserve any bruises they get while riding coasters.
..... Worth it though  8)
bbooth2

at no moment during my ride was I uncomfortable and I didn't get bashed around in anyway, I could of slept on it I found it that smooth.
Dan

The first ride I had on it was front row:

Unbelievably smooth, intense, and above all, fun!

The second ride was on the back row:

It felt as though the corkscrew had come back to life. The cobra roll and subsequent inversions nearly took my head off, it was that rough!

On the whole though, The Smiler is by far the best coaster I have ever ridden. I never thought that anything would dislodge Nemesis as my #1 but this has managed it.
mikey_mcl

SonicChips wrote: [Stttrrrrreeeeeeeetttccchhh]
Queue - It was long. I didn't find the queue as entertaining as I expected. It might be worth noting that I get bored as easily as an ADD sufferer who's watching paint dry. For me, it was just a queue - although much thanks to the guy who managed to start a queue long mexican wave! Overall, it was worth it because.....
Was this around park close time? There was a Mexican wave in the overflow queue - but apart from that the queue was quite tedious.

Loved, The Smiler - definitely worth the wait. I managed to get 2 rides in in total. Was originally planning on doing The Smiler first, but went to FV first instead - which was a good move as the queue's got higher through the day.

The projection mapping in the queue line wasn't lined up fully, and on the last ride one of them was down.

Didn't find The Smiler that rough, apart from 2 inversions in the last half. It was having problems earlier on, where a train got stuck on the vertical lift - we got to watch it reverse back down the hill which was good.

All in all, a great ride, with a good theme. Can't wait to do it again!
Owen

Tbh
The only reason you are all moaning about 'roughness' so much is because its a gerst,this is because past models have been rough so you people try a call any tiny wobble your head makes a 'huge horrid jolt', I would put money on the fact you would completely ignore the so called 'roughness' if this was B&M

Rant over.
Danny

Completely agree with thrillmad, gerstlauer are personally my fav. I can see a large amount of you prefer b&m but there's no need to put the oppersitions down just because of past issues
MatthewR1990

Those wondering if the innoculator works by the way?

Back row = a light mist

3rd row = a heavier mist, nothing bad

2nd row = a quick run through a sprinkler

Font row =
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
XXBENNXX

just returned from 3 days on the park, it did not open until 11:30 to midday - EVERY DAY. and by this afternoon it felt horrible. like it was falling apart. personally it was a good ride. BUT not a great one. you kind of forget about it after about 5 minutes, well that's what we thought anyhow. Also to note if you are in a wheelchair ..... Good luck. they haven't built the lift it states they have in the accessibility guide, and climbing up and down all those steps is no easy thing to do.

overall quite disappointed to be honest.
SonicChips

mikey_mcl wrote:
SonicChips wrote: [Stttrrrrreeeeeeeetttccchhh]
Was this around park close time? There was a Mexican wave in the overflow queue - but apart from that the queue was quite tedious.
Yep! I realise it wasn't full queue length but that, to me, only poses as a challenge - que histerical (possibly Smiler induced) laughter, with a hint of evil.

To the point made about it being rough due to it being a Gerst.... Yeah, I kinda figured that. I hoped my comment on this didn't come across as a moan as I didn't intend it in such a way. Only pointing out my experience. My gf wasn't bruised by it, but she wasn't waving her hands about - I was essentially recreating the Maramalised Advocates from the game where they are waving! It makes for a fun ride and I'm a man so don't mind a few bruises in the name of fun  :P

I think as an addition to my review, I'd like to add that on reflection, I'm glad I was thrown about a bit. I like the harness not being too tight (something which the harness checker dude did to me on Oblivian), as I don't mind a bit of movement in my seat and I enjoy feeling the effects of physics, gravity and various forces pull and push me into the seat etc. All that can be deemed idiotic (self confessed) or just disregarded completely because after riding The Smiler I feel like I've EXPERIENCED a ride, not just ridden it. The "marmalising" effects and wot-not are superficial.

As a curiosity, rather then commenting to agree with this and clogging up the forum, can you "thanks" this post if you agree with the last paragraph? I don't expect many to agree as reading it back, it sounds silly. Just curious..... (By "last paragraph", I don't mean this one; it's the paragraph which directly precedes this one.)  :O
ToHereKnowsWho

SonicChips wrote:
if you are insistant on having your arms waving in the air like one of those whaky whailing inflatable arm flailing tube men, then you might get a few bruises. If like the other 15 people on my train and you wish to hold on to a harness, you will escape without any battle wounds.
I rode it twice yeterday (also once at the back, once at the front) with my arms in the air and have a cluster of bruises on my right bicep! Worth it though, it's an insane and disorientating addition to AT that really lives up to the hype this time! Truly a brilliant rollercoaster.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Well what an intresting first yeterday I was on the train that got stuck on lift 2 and the OTSR hurt my sholders apart from that a very good ride.
redpiggy

SonicChips wrote:
I am occasionally (when I'm not sat next to strangers) one of those whaky whailing inflatable arm flailing tube men, and I was on my first ride on The Smiler, which is unusual for me because I'm usually too scared to let go :P
Funnily enough, the only bit I got "hurt" on was during the indoor section when I was still holding on!
Krazycoaster

What can I say excpet,wow!! The Smiler exceeded my expectations. I went expecting great things and what was delivered was even better.
Got to the park at 8:45 and was amazed to see a filled plaza! Joined the annual pass queue and as soon as the gates were up, I headed for X Sector.
The make-shift queue was already filling up and by 9:45 it was at least a 2 hour queue behind me.
Unfortunately, we were told in the plaza that it would not open until 11; strictly speaking this was true. We were let into the main queue line (which must have designed by a three year old) at 11:20 ish and then we spent another 20 mins wataing for the final checks to take place and the dummies to be drained. The ride opened at around 11:30, so I had been queueing for a long time and hoping that the ride was going to be worth it.
Now we get to one of the only two critisisms I have about the ride experience. The optical procedure room is, well, a letdown. Yes, projection mapping is good but it just lacked tension and excitment and explained nothing about the Ministry of Joy. That said, the station is amazing and I was lucky enough to sit on the front seat!
The ride itself is genuis, start to end. I felt a tiny bit dizzy as the train stopped at the second lift hill but there wasn't enough time to think any more of it as we were soon off again. The innoculator is by far the best marmaliser effect, the others were missed in the excitment of the inversions. My last critisism is the roughness coming out of the cobra roll, it was much more painful that I anticipated and if the restraints are quite tight, they certaily bring an impact to the reproductive area.
The exit was great, loved the effects, it was hard to walk in a straight line. Came out into the shop which was also very impressive. For me, The Smiler is supreme to Nemesis, without a doubt. It'll take a lot for any coaster to top this. Nice one Alton!
10/10
(I'll be posting pictures later  :D )