Europa-Park: Trip Planning, Questions and Advice!

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Jem8472

I like the idea of going on the eurostar, but its all the messing about with other trains and buses at the other end that would put me off going that way.
AstroDan

The connections upon arrival at Strasbourg are very easy.

I would just select the best option based on cost vs hassle.

:)
Ramius

When you want to travel by train to Europa-Park then you should also look at the site of the german railway

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Type your starting station e.g. Strasbourg and the ending station Europa-Park.
There you get all connections and all the details.
Jem8472

The link for the transfers from basel to Europa park comes up with a 404 page.
BULBOUS

If you are looking at train travel as an option, check http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml carefully. I know it's been mentioned already, but you might not know that you can input any UK station (as well as pretty much any station in Europe and any German address) as a starting point to find good connections. (How clever!)

It's also often worth checking to see if you can book differing parts of your journey through Deutsche Bahn, as they *could* be cheaper than Eurostar, who are often mega rip-off merchants. :)
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
AstroDan

It's often cheaper booking through SNCF (www.voyages-sncf.com) than Eurostar, also. Eurostar and Rail Europe do seem to rip you off a bit.
Mike

Direct link to UK version of voyages-sncf.com: www.tgv-europe.com - seems to be connected to the exact same database price-wise, just different language! :)

IGNORE it when it tries to redirect you to Raileasy though - they are rip-off merchants as previously mentioned! :)

Thanks to Ian for the sig!
Charlee

I actually went to Europa Park with my school a few weeks ago, i went with them last year and we went to Phantasialand.

Don't know why i pointed this out to be honest, but oh well, it was a damn good experience :lol:
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
gforcejoe

Does anyone know what provision they have for traveling with children with autism?  At Disney/UK parks we are able to get an exit pass on showing our hospital/doctors letters and so we do not queue in the main queue, either using the disabled entrance or given a time to come back.  Or do they do a Fastpass type thing - I cannot find anything on their website.

Still trying to work out if this is do-able, the kids will love it but my son does not travel too well on either the Eurostar or plane and I think it maybe too far to drive (10 hours showing on Google), it may be that this will have to wait until he is old and can cope with traveling better.
gforcejoe

Also, can you tell us a bit about the hotels please.  The El Andaluz seems like a nice hotel and well priced too but, as it is the cheapest, is it like the Santa Fe at Disney which is just horrific to stay in?

What are your views on the hotels please.
John

I don't think they operate any form of exit pass system (though I could be wrong) and there is no fastrack at EP.  All coasters and water rides at EP have a no disabled rider policy in accordance with German H&S, and whilst strictly speaking this probably wouldn't apply to you I'd be surprised if they were allow use to use the exits (many of which have turnstiles in them anyway).  For most of the major rides, anyone unable to use the regular queue won't be able to ride.

You might want to contact them directly to make sure (possibly explaining the policy at other parks), but I wouldn't get your hopes up - in all my trips to EP I can't recall anyone ever accessing a ride via the exit.

As for the hotels, I've only stayed in Colosseo to date, I don't think there's a huge difference in quality between them though and they're all very close to each other anyway so you can use the facilities of any of them.
gforcejoe

OK, many thanks, I might just drop them an email and find out what their policy is.  I did wonder why wheelchair users were free - I guess that is why, because they cannot go on anything except the train.  There is no way he would be able to wait in queues of that many people and for that length of time.  We are tied to school holidays and it's a long way to go to find we cannot go on anything, so I'll give it a  miss until he is older and more able to deal with it.  15 minutes is the max we manage at the moment but even that comes with tuts and stares.  We'll get there eventually.
AstroDan

As John said, Europa-Park offer very little by way of special access to their attractions for guests with disabilities. There is no form of queue jump available. Simply put, all guests must queue in the regular queue. Obviously, because there is no fastrack/exit passes, the queues do move very, very quickly - with throughputs for most major rides over 1,500 guests per hour.

That said, if you have family who are unable to wait more than, say, 15 minutes - it probably wouldn't be advisable to visit during peak season.
taggy

Very interested from what I have seen just been on the website and seen some of the rides they have on offer they look unbelievable but will have to do a bit more research to see the best way for me to get over there is.

But hopefully see you guys over there
Ramius

@gforcejoe
The best way to find out what EP can offer in your case is to write EP an email.

EP has no exit pass, but guests with disabilities can use the exit when they are allowed to use the attraction.
They don't have to wait in the normal queue.

The normal height and age restrictions are also valid for guests with disabilites. 

The reason why wheelchair guests are not allowed to use an attraction is that they can't use the emergency route in case of an accident.
gforcejoe

Thanks for the replies, I emailed EP just after I posted and no replies as yet.  I sent from my business email so wondering if has been picked up as spam due to the address, I've just emailed again from my personal email to see if they reply to that.  As soon as I hear back I will post a reply here.

I dare not risk it to be honest, I'd rather not go than get there and find there are just too many people there for him.  Everything we tend to do is out of season or on inset days but this would mean a few days holiday which would have to be in term time.

I know that people say they are for queue jumpers but I am happy to get given the ride time and come back in a virtual queue kind of way so we are waiting but away from other people, people do not understand when a child looks 'normal' on the outside.  This is what Chessington, Universal and Disney does and I think it very fair.  Have not been to any other parks since he was born time as he needs 1:1 care and it's difficult when you also have another child to care for.  Days out can only be when hubby is not working and it is not too busy.
gforcejoe

Update: I got a reply from Europa Park this morning, this might be useful for others:

thank you for your e-mail. Please show your son’s autistic pass at the exit of each ride and your child and one accompanying person can do the ride without queuing. Please note that some roller coasters require a certain minimum height and minimum age.

Have a nice day in Europa-Park

Kindest regards

Gabi Gut
Sekretariat Attraktionen

I am not sure what the Autistic Pass is, I do have a card from the council that show he is registered disabled with them and a doctors letter I can take with me so I assume it would be that.  I have told them in the email he does not have a blue badge so it is not that.  Before anyone asks why:  the LA have taken the BB from all Autistic Children in this area because their legs are fully functional - even though their brains aren't which stops their legs working properly - you really do not want to get me started on that today tho!!  :x
Ramius

In Germany people with disabilities get a handicapped ID from the german health care system.

I would assume that this is similar to the card you have from the council but i don't know it for sure.
I would write EP an other email and explain what kind of card you have and ask if this is sufficient.
Evikyp

We are going to visit Europa park for only one day next week. I 'm wondering if it's best to buy the tickets online or to buy from the entrance there. Because we are going to be only one day there, we have to make the best to earn time. Also, do you know if they have fast pass that I can buy?
Thanks