MINI MEET: Thorpe Park: 17/18 March 2012

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Islander

I've finally heard back from Legoland, and unfortunately they won't be taking restaurant bookings for non-residents on the first night (somewhat predictably), so that plan won't be possible.
AstroDan

Ok. Will be up for Twynnersh!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
fredward

I'm definitely there on Sunday. Which is the day most of you won't be there, I will be with Ross and (possibly) his girlfriend, so Its going to be more of a if I bump into you that's great! (Which is very likely considering Thorpe and your on park).

But from what I've heard a lot of you are in London or Chessington, so may completely miss you!
AstroDan

fredward wrote: I'm definitely there on Sunday. Which is the day most of you won't be there, I will be with Ross and (possibly) his girlfriend, so Its going to be more of a if I bump into you that's great! (Which is very likely considering Thorpe and your on park).

But from what I've heard a lot of you are in London or Chessington, so may completely miss you!
I have no plans to be at Chessington or London. I may pop to Legoland in the morning for 3-4 hours maximum, but will definitely be at Thorpe for the bulk of the day!

:)
SpinballEdders

Is anyone getting a train from Waterloo to Staines or Chertsey? or am I the only one? :)
Hark

I shall be there and stopping in T5
sheepie

Hey guys. I realise I'm not such an active member on these forums as such but I would absolutely love to come and say hi! I realise a lot of forums will be there on the 17th and I'm already meant to be part of two forum meets/ mini meets. It's crazy but also awesome that so many people with shared passions are in the same place.

So if some hyper, ginger, "stocky" dude randomly approaches you... that'll be me. Ha. I look forward to seeing you all even though nobody has a clue who I am! :P
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.
SpinballEdders

to those staying in the travelodge at Terminal 5; how are you getting to Thorpe from there?
AstroDan

By car :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
AstroDan

Looking forward to seeing people on Saturday.

The plan is to be at Thorpe's Entrance Plaza for around 9:30am.

:)
Benedique

Me and Craig are definite. T5 Friday night and then Thorpe Saturday :).
SpinballEdders

If you lot happen to see a tall skinny pale blond kid heading towards you, that's me :P
Jonny.F

It looks like I'll be on the park on Saturday now, so if I come across the group at some point in the day I'll make sure I come up and say hi. :)
Rocket

Hey guys
I might be coming tomorrow (18th march)
Can someone send me a number or someway of finding out if anyone's is around tomorrow.
Dan77

SamJ wrote: Hey guys
I might be coming tomorrow (18th march)
Can someone send me a number or someway of finding out if anyone's is around tomorrow.

Sam, I'm around tomorrow! I think you still have my number lol
Rocket

Thanks dan!
Stuart has given me his as well :)
SpinballEdders

Just a massive thanks to Everyone who made me feel welcome to my first TTF meet (even though I joined you lot at 4PM :P) but you are all very friendly people and I can't wait to see you again at the South Meet in June :)
John

TR time!

I had an absolutely amazing weekend at Thorpe - most of my recent trips there have been pretty good and this was no exception.  Saturday was moderately busy but not as bad as I'd expected and Sunday was very quiet with all rides practically walk-on by mid afternoon.

Arriving at just after 9.30, we found the park already open with rides running.  Swarm was naturally our first port of call, I'll be posting a full review in the relevant topic, but for me it's a solid if unspectacular ride and not my favourite coaster at Thorpe by any means.  UK top 10 for me, and probably top 25 overall.

Reliability was a slight issue across the two days, with Saturday the worse of the two.  I was affected by breakdowns on Swarm, Stealth and Detonator and also spotted downtime on Samurai and Storm Surge.  Rush is still in bits (one arm has no restraints).  Looks like it'll be closed for a while yet...

Sunday was the better of the two days - the weather was much more pleasant and the place was deserted allowing for a huge ride count - if you've got time to do Depth Charge you know you're doing well.

Highlights:

+ Park opening early both days
+ Moderate queues on Saturday and virtually none on Sunday
+ Rapids not being a complete snooze-fest, the waves seem much more lively for some reason
+ Inferno front row - best place to ride!
+ Colossus team doing a great job on the Saturday - the queue was to the shop but only took around 20 minutes
+ Stealth whoring Sunday night - thanks to the station gate being left open I was able to ride on more than half the trains launched in the final 10 minutes :D
+ finding out Miro from Europa was on-park (shame I missed him though)
+ Words Totally Fail: the ride
+ meeting Oli "BENCH"
+ MINE! MINE! MINE! in Swarm queue
+ fun times at T5 Sat night
+ I WANT THE WING!

Negatives

- No Rush (no Saw Alive either, but I couldn't really care less about that TBH)
- Frequent breakdowns
- X having no effects at all (the 'rave' lights are still there but switched off, audio is extremely patchy)
- Not getting front row on Stealth due to loads of people using FR fastrack  :x
- General maintenance: large parts of the park are very down-at-heel, Colossus' station stinks of rot and Inferno's is a shadow of its former self

I'll be back there in a couple of weeks before heading off to EP - I can certainly see myself making a lot of visits this year
Last edited by John on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.