Scariest moments at Alton Towers

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
valhallaist

The first time I stood at the Nemesis queue at the age of 12. The sound of people screaming, the brooding music, the bloodfall and the monster in the middle were a terrifying combination. I could actually feel my knees trembling.  8-[ 
Luviico

When I went on the Corkscrew and actually got to sit at the front for once, I remember then they didn't mind you taking bags on which wasn't the best of ideas. We started to go up the lift hill, almost at the top when I suddenly thought oh no! I'm gonna lose my bag with my phone, other essentials in once we go upside down if I don't do something quick. So in the end I had a few seconds to spare so I managed to wrap the straps of my rucksack round my leg just in time!
My mate also realised she had left her glasses on so there was a mad scramble!
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig
jackgcse

When I was 12 waiting for Rita for the first time...it simply looked terrifying and nothing could ever go faster! I was terrified, and it made it worse because we went single rider for the first time because the main queue was hours and hours!
DrReeve

MinteButtons wrote: My first ever ride on Duel. I have a phobia of animatronics, and dark rides hugely un-nerve me.
I thought "Hey, it's a shooter, it won't be too bad." I spent the whole ride screaming and hiding.  <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->
I jump really easily when ever i go on i try and sprint in  front of my mates for the middle
Image credit to Lewis97
Marcus

First time being forced onto Hex with a 20 minute queue. I was so nervous I accidently said  '':censored: Off!''  to a staff member. But she was forgiving and finded it funny. :oops:
DavidRock

wayyyyy back in 1989 we were queing for Corkscrew i was only 8 at the time and scared of Rollercoasters. Got in the queue and dad gave me a Sugar Dummy i was so scared that just before the station i bit the sugar dummy snapped the top of it off and it fell to the floor.

I picked it up to put it in the bin and noticed one of my teeth was stuck in it. We got to the station and i quickly ran to the exit without going on it  :D ahhh the memories.

Safe to say thats all changed now the bigger the coaster the better  :D and yes i did go on Corkscrew years later and had all my teeth intact this time  :D
altontowerskid

Terror of the Towers, 2010.

After queueing for about 45mins for TotT, we got to the batching staff. Being the smallest (build and height) in the group, I had pre-selected my spot in the middle. As we were being given the usual spiel, one by one my friends bottled out and were moving round to the back. Before I knew it, the woman was shouting at us to move forward into the maze with myself at the front - absolutely terrified I walked on, but I still can feel how scared I was and how hard my heart was beating! :L

Heading back in under a month, with the same group. This time, i'll be getting them back :)
The Oblivious One

I'd have to say going on Sub-terra back in may, didn't read any spoilers, just bad reviews from the original experience. So I wasn't prepared/expecting all those actors at the end at all, in my personal experience there was loads of actors!
SamSimkin

amy0192 wrote: First time i rode oblivion was pretty scary haha. You know when you're just stood in the queue line, and you KNOW that the next carriage is gonna be for you and you're excited but real scared? Well i do, i had that so bad! And then when we hung over the edge for that split second, i had to hold my breath. Then we went down, and i continued to hold my breath. Then mist was sprayed in my face, so i still couldn't breathe hehe! I was fine the second time i rode it so i'm guessing it was a mix of first time nerves and oxygen starvation that scared the hell out of me haha;p I went on thirteen once too or the first time and that was scary. When we were outside queing i was just kind of sizing up the coaster, it looked pretty small, pretty manageable and not in the least scary. Then we gpt inside and the lightning volt thing scared me half to death (totally unexpected) and that kind of set me right up for the rollercoaster. Then we got in, i wasn't too fussed, didn't think it would be too bad. The rollercoaster was fine, until we went backwards in the dark into the vault. I had no idea what was happening and that was scary and then we dropped. I screamed SO loud. Almost banshee like. The people i was with had all been on it before and decided not to tell me about the drop! All i can say is my sincere apoligies to anyone on thirteen with me that day because man, i must have hurt your ears! It was totally unexpected however and in my defense; i was NOT prepared for that :oops:
Not quite on oblivion, but on any rollercoaster for me
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
TheInactiveMoth

My birthday, 2011. I was still something of a coaster coward at the time, and had yet to ride Oblivion. You'd think I'd seen a ghost by my face as I queued, and whilst I'm no screamer on coasters, I sounded genuinely terrified during the drop.
But now I know how much fun it is, all I wanna do is go on it again! :D
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Noah the carnivorous botanist - Arsenal 'til I die!
TropicKnight

I was stuck on Air once and you might think it's a comfortable position to be in. It is...for about 5 minutes and than you start to panic! OR at least I did! Problem was, the harness was causing a "compression" on my chest and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Worst bit, the blood started running from my Head to my Feet. And as if that isn't bad enough, I had a panicking sister beside myself! It got started again within 20 minutes but YIKES!

Also, Nemesis: Sub-Terra bearing in mind, I had NO idea of what was to come. The only thing that I'd heard prior to going on it was that it had been changed and was hell-scary! Loved it at the same time though, the rush of adrenaline was unbelievable!
Air lover

THE DUCK
DONT LOOK DOWN

Nemesis on my first ride.
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
bensaund

On sonic, now I'm a large guy and the bar didn't go down so the little arrows lined up, I got up crossed legs emptied pockets etc but the staff were not happy with it, they pushed, then suddenly the ride started and we went off, I didn't know if the bar was secure or not. I could clearly see the two arrows were not lined up as we were going up the lift hill.... was it going to hold... I held on tight, VERY tight

Obviously the ride should not go out if the bars had not been secured correctly, but the staff on this one occasion gave me little confidence that it had locked, didn't give me the ok they just let the car go out...
If you go down to the woods today
SamSimkin

The ghost story's
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Henry

Walking through the Gardens at night at Scarefest.
Awful
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Marie

Whilst on Air my vest came loose (not the plastic one) which was an awful panic for half of the ride!! But then to make matters worse when it eventually locked in my hair was caught in it! I haven't really been back on Air since.
It's not a purse, it's a satchel! Indiana Jones has one.
Kirsty25

TropicKnight wrote: I was stuck on Air once and you might think it's a comfortable position to be in. It is...for about 5 minutes and than you start to panic! OR at least I did! Problem was, the harness was causing a "compression" on my chest and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Worst bit, the blood started running from my Head to my Feet. And as if that isn't bad enough, I had a panicking sister beside myself! It got started again within 20 minutes but YIKES!

Not so much scary but related for def, Air was in the brake run for about 15 mins, not the best position, I got huge shooting pains through my lower half because of where the restraints was holding :(
Tom.B

Air lover wrote: THE DUCK
'nuff said
JonoD

My first ever ride on the Haunted house! My parents took me on it when I was 5 and it traumatised with nightmares that lasted for weeks afterwards and a fear of dark rides that went all the way into my mid-teenage years :P

Plucked up courage to ride it when it became Duel when I was 16 and I have to say I absolutely loved it. Always a must-ride whenever I'm on park now!