Haven Holidays Rockley Park New Improvements 2010!

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
maguire245

Hello all :D

Recently for easter we all went down to Rockley Park in Dorset, Poole, run by Haven Holidays company!

It is fantastic if you have children as they pride themselves on their various mascots for entertaining the children with various shows and performances in the 'show bar'.
As for adults & teenages alike, there's the amusements arcade, bowling, pool, tennis, football for activities & more! For the drinking part theres a brand new refurbed bar/diner with open terrace for those hot summer months overlooking the outdoor pool. With that they have installed a new sound system (by the name of bose) indoors and outdoors so you can listen to the music whereever you are! The music playing was surprisingly varied as 2 years ago we went and it was just oldies playing on VH1 music channel (not that there's anything wrong with that). The food selection is really great (it's had it's named changed to Mash & Barrel) and the quality of it is superb though prices can be quite pricey. £4.59 for jacket potato! :shock:

One of the major redevelopments has been with the outdoor pool area, ba r& grill, & a funky new waterslide with a large tower you walk up, which links into the main indoor pool. You'll see from the pictures the tower from the outside is still being finished off with some panelling and exterior work to be finished. The outside pool will also be refurbed as it's looking a bit tired now. Bits of scenery will be placed around it for effect too!

As for the entertainment it was generally very good! They have invested for this year £200k into the showbar (goodness knows how they spent that much!), which has mostly gone into the new sound system and lighting. It has definitely payed off too because the voices and speech are very clear whereever you are in the room so you do not feel left out in any of the music & shows!
As for the lighting it looks visually stunning with the smoke machine. DMX moving head technology helps create the 'dazzling' light shows which were combined with the different cabaret entertainment which was put on, so well done for that haven! :clap:

The weather was 'ok' for the most part. On the friday we had a cloudy but sunny sky, saturday tipped down, but sunday the sun came out again!

All in all it's a great holiday if your looking for somewhere to take the family, or with mates for a laugh and enjoy the general Haven Holidays atmosphere! They pride themselves on their entertainment and it was very good this time around! They hire different acts from around the country to come and perform, do nightly discos and the cabaret staff do in-house shows to represent their acting & singing abilities. I spoke to one of them and they have nearly all come from Drama educational programmes.

We are thinking about going back in the not too distant future maybe for the summer if it's hot enough, but we'll have to be quick because easter bookings there sold out this year!

Hope you enjoyed my review & here are some highlight photos below, enjoy! :)

Mash & Barrel terrace looks over outdoor pool
^ Sound system fitted around back area of pool so everywhere the music is covered!
New Mash & Barrel Entrance
Inside and around Mash & Barrel
Amusement arcade, which is very big (bowling to right of photo just out of shot)
Showbars new lighting & sound system
Last edited by maguire245 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
Deleted

I spy... with my little eye... something beginning with ... S

#-o

Speakers! :lol:

Good report none-the-less. Cheers ;)
Vik

Ok, quite a few childish posts have been removed from this thread and it has been reinstated to the original post. Can I remind the ones involved to keep personal issues off the forum and also to refrain from using personal insults and abusive language. Thanks..

:D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

richdirk123

I went on a holiday to a Haven park last Easter and had a great time! We stayed I Norfolk, just down the road from Gt. Yarmouth. We didn't use their restaurants/clubs etc. because we were too busy shopping/going on days out to Gt. Yarmouth. We did, however, decide to have a game of crazy golf. I can't describe how funny it was watching my Nanna trying to get a ball into the middle hole for a free game! We also hired this pedal car thingy. Everyone had them, they were great fun! And the best bit, the site was right next to a lovely, sandy beach, we spent a day there.

The caravan was a silver and was very nice, comfortable and well layed out.

The only downside to the holiday was that there were a rough bunch in the caravan two doors down. They got asked to leave for being noisy, so they trashed the caravan, smashed windows, televisions, pulled everything out in the bathroom and threw it out the window, threw nappies everywhere, pulled doors off, etc.. They got banned from coming to any other Haven park and I'm sure they warned Park Resorts too!
maguire245

Well that sounds terrible! Sorry to hear you had to put up with seeing that. All of the time we've been going to haven it's been fine so lets hope it stays that way.
One thing to note was this time around there was a lot of bouncers & security in the show bar & at the entrance doors making it feel more like a night club than anything, which is slightly daunting.. but as long as you feel safe (which they make you feel) then I guess it's alright.

As for crazy golf, we too did have a game! It is hilarious watching people who haven't got very good golfing skills :mrgreen: I came third out of 6 people so not too bad! :D

The location of the Havens tend to be mostly near beaches anyway as that's what they are good at, pleasing folks who want to stay on site or giving you the choice of a local sandy beach.
Needless to say it wasn't quite hot enough for the beach this time around :lol:
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
James

Personally I think that Haven has gone very downhill over the years. It was such a better company in the 90s.

Anyway, nice review Maguire, thanks for sharing. :) The sound system looks very nice and loud :P
maguire245

[quote=""James""]Personally I think that Haven has gone very downhill over the years. It was such a better company in the 90s.[/quote]
Do I sence the inner child inside of you still wishing he could dance with Rory the Tiger? :mrgreen: :P

I wouldn't say it's gone downhill as such, as they are investing a lot of money into their parks and general upkeep on their sites is excellent.

It could be that the entertainment side of things doesn't please you? I've found in the past it was better when they hired out more professional acts and entertainers from a wider spectrum. Now it just tends to be groups singing the oldies :? I remember watching magical shows with magicians performing very tricky acts!

One thing that has puzzled me, is that I've heard they might be axing the mascot Rory The Tiger, but I can't see why they really need to? After all if it wasn't for the creators of that character Haven wouldn't be what it is now. Sadly in 2008 the man who composed all the original music for the kids shows and cabaret theme tunes died of cancer at age 48 :| Very sad..

Anyway, I still think Haven are improving with their new investments for the sites, but entertainment wise they could do better.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
James

[quote=""maguire245""]
Do I sence the inner child inside of you still wishing he could dance with Rory the Tiger? :mrgreen: :P [/quote]

Damn, how did you know? :( :P

Yeah, it is the entertainment side of things that I think has gone downhill. It was the magic shows which used to do it for me, my favourite magic show was Bamboozled. But it is also the character shows, I'm not sure if there still like it now(my last visit was in 2007 at the Caister camp) but the character shows didn't have any backdrops and very little props. I can't see why they'd get rid of Rory, as he is Haven Holidays.

I've always found the Haven parks of a high standard and they are always adding new things to the different parks each year.
maguire245

[quote=""James""] But it is also the character shows, I'm not sure if there still like it now(my last visit was in 2007 at the Caister camp) but the character shows didn't have any backdrops and very little props. .[/quote]
Well I can confirm this year (at Rockley Park anyhow) that there was backdrops and props for each show :)

BUT, what I found very odd was on the first night we stayed on the friday, they decided to do a christmas show which I thought was highly rediculous.. what must the parents of been thinking? :shock:

It was a well performed show none the less! :mrgreen:
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat