Th13teen Preview Weekend: CANCELLED

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Mankey

Well, they need to get their money somehow! :P Haha!
Back from hibernation!
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Islander""][quote=""Mankey""]It said "...and a CHANCE to ride th13teen..." on the web page before so... everyone getting upset should have realised that this could have been a possibility.[/quote]
I think everyone's getting upset about the fact that there's a chance we won't be allowed on because of publicity reasons.

If the ride isn't finished, or hasn't passed it's ADIPS, or there are technical issues, or anything like that, then no one can complain at all - we signed up knowing that might be the case.

If, however, it's sitting there ready to be ridden (so to speak), but we're not allowed on because of a publicity stunt (i.e. others are earmarked to ride it first), then that is a bit off, considering that we've paid a fair whack.[/quote]

Nail, Hit, Head :clap:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""Mankey""]It said "...and a CHANCE to ride th13teen..." on the web page before so... everyone getting upset should have realised that this could have been a possibility.

Tbh, £150 is still stupidly expensive even if the ride on it was thrown in. I'm going up the first weekend of feb opening. It's costing me £60 for the hotel for 2 nights and half the park is open. It's far better value for my money here. :|[/quote]

No part of the website said you have a chance of riding thirteen, the new version of the site is a carbon copy of the origional website with the exception thats at the bottom it used to say:

"a ride on thirteen is not guarenteed" and it now says:

"a ride on thirteen is not included"

So i still see no reason why people can complain, the can be dissapointed but again if you booked with the intention of getting a ride you where taking a big risk, seen as the park where very clear about not promoting a ride on the coaster.
Spike

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]

No part of the website said you have a chance of riding thirteen, the new version of the site is a carbon copy of the origional website with the exception thats at the bottom it used to say:

"a ride on thirteen is not guarenteed" and it now says:

"a ride on thirteen is not included"
[/quote]

That makes no sense :? They are two very different statements.

"The chance of sunshine today is not guaranteed"
"There will be no sunshine today"
*Honest Cint!*
Dormiens-Dave

The point i'm trying to make is that yes the first statement doesn't exclude the possibility of a ride on the coaster, it also doesn't say you will get one. So how can we now complain about the lack of a ride when we where never guarenteed it.

The park never promoted a ride, all this was in the small terms and conditions at the bottom of the page, so we can hardly start bemoaning that they have conned us.
Spike

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]The point i'm trying to make is that yes the first statement doesn't exclude the possibility of a ride on the coaster, it also doesn't say you will get one. So how can we now complain about the lack of a ride when we where never guarenteed it.[/quote]

Islanders post says exactly what the issue is here, we all knew we we're not guaranteed a ride at the time.
*Honest Cint!*
Dormiens-Dave

I never dissagreed with islander or you, it was the comment made by Mankey that the website said there was a chance of a ride (not that i'm attacking mankey who i like and have a lot of respect for what he posts (PC moment! :D )interpreting the small print i don't think suggests the park promoted a chance of a ride. There was also a few on the previous page who seemed to have booked to get a ride and wanted to complain about the fact that they might not be getting one now.

I agree if the rides ready and we can't ride just because some people happily made a fool of themselves on you-tube and facebook then i will be as miffed as anyone.
Big Dave

At the end of the day no one was promised a ride. Therefore you have no grounds to stand on when making a complaint or having a moan. If a product, in this case a hotel/themepark package, clearly states you may not get a ride and or that other attractions maybe unavailable (see the park entry terms and conditions), then thats exactly what you get! You MIGHT get a ride, but if you dont then tough. You will only have a case against them if its false advertising and considering they said you might not get a ride right from the outset, you dont have a case against them.

*Awaits abuse*
Spike

*sighs*

Never mind, some people don't seem to get the point here so I'm not going to say it for a forth time or point out 3 other peoples posts again who clearly get the point. :roll:
*Honest Cint!*
Big Dave

I understand you might be upset that others are might be able to ride it before you and that the ride in theory is ready, but so what? If you booked this just to get a ride before anyone else then you made a mistake, not the park.
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""Spike""]*sighs*

Never mind, some people don't seem to get the point here so I'm not going to say it for a forth time or point out 3 other peoples posts again who clearly get the point. :roll:[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing funnily enough, however, i am as always happy to agree to disagree. :D
Islander

[quote=""Big Dave""]I understand you might be upset that others are might be able to ride it before you and that the ride in theory is ready, but so what? If you booked this just to get a ride before anyone else then you made a mistake, not the park.[/quote]
Lawd you're being dense :roll:

Everyone booked the weekend fully in the knowledge that a ride on Thirteen was not guaranteed. Not that is wasn't included, but that it wasn't guaranteed.

Now, if people aren't allowed to ride 'cause of technical difficulties, that's fine, fully understandable, and such is life.

If we can't ride because of a publicity stunt, technically, by their terms, that's also fine. You're spot on - technically we signed up in the full knowledge that we might not be able to ride, and they've turned around and said as much. Technically no one can complain. However, what you're being blind to is that it would be a complete smack in the face. It would be the equivalent of saying "Yes, we know you've paid a lot, and are clearly hard-core enthusiasts who give this park a lot of custom, but because we've done a somewhat crass marketing campaign, you can't ride".

In that situation, of course no one would have a leg to stand on if they complained to the park - no one (or at least no one with sense) disagrees with that. However, it would be perfectly legitimate to be completely p*ssed off by this.

Analogy: if you paid full price to get into the park, and Oblivion, Nemesis, Air, Spinball, Hex, and Rita were all out of action, would it be reasonable to be pissed off at the way the park is run? Absolutely. Could you make a valid complaint? Not really, 'cause they "...may, however, without prior notice and without refund or compensation, change the operating hours of ... attractions, [or] close any part of it temporarily...".

I'll pre-empt your reply, as I know you'll just point out the clause we all agreed to again. We know we agreed to it. Doesn't mean we can't, under certain circumstances, be upset about being refused a ride. If you still don't get my point of view, such it life :).
Dormiens-Dave

To be fair i don't think Big Dave was attacking your point and calling people dense is rude and not needed.

I don't recall anyone actually having an issue with your point, we will all be annoyed if that is the reason. My (and as far as i can see daves) comments where aimed at the people who seem to have suggested that they had a right to ride and that the park has decieved them as was Big Dave's comment.

In fact about 3 posts up i said i agreed with your point.

Anyway i think that this has gone on enough.
Vik

The problem seems to stem from the original wording of a ride on Thirteen cannot be guaranteed. From a personal point of view, as I've said earlier on in this topic, I never expected to ride Thirteen on the preview event, but if I did, then it would be an added bonus.

Trouble is, using the words 'Cannot be guaranteed', has probably given the impression to some people that they are just covering their own backs and we are going to really get one. Thus have probably booked a place based on that notion.

So now you have a double edged sword. Do you stick with the original wording, and have lots of people on the event weekend disappointed, because they wrongly assumed that no guarantee really means guaranteed, or do you alter the wording to make it crystal clear that there will be no ride?

It is a tricky one, and I think Alton Towers have done the right thing by altering the wording. But in all fairness, that should of been there from the offset. Changing the wording mid course, even though it is just to clarify things, does come across as a bit unprofessional.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Islander

Gah, perhaps I overreacted. Just strikes me that some people are being too full-on with the "you signed up with no ride guaranteed, so you shouldn't be disappointed if you can't ride". In the same way that some people are saying "I paid good money for this, I expect to be able to ride".

Faults on both sides.

Sorry Dave for calling you dense. I'm a bit highly strung from a number of things - bad time to post :oops:

Anyway, moving on...
Benedique

I too was hoping a ride would be included, but all of us signed up knowing it was very unlikely, you only have to look at the title to realise this i.e. 'preview' weekend. the definition of preview is: 'anything that gives an advance idea or impression of something to come'. I really don't mean to sound patronising if thats how i'm coming across but i don't really think its fair people suggesting cancelling their places which is going to cause Alton to loose out on money, it's been in the terms and conditions all along that a ride may not be included.
rcopus

[quote=""Dominique""]I too was hoping a ride would be included, but all of us signed up knowing it was very unlikely, you only have to look at the title to realise this i.e. 'preview' weekend. the definition of preview is: 'anything that gives an advance idea or impression of something to come'. I really don't mean to sound patronising if thats how i'm coming across but i don't really think its fair people suggesting cancelling their places which is going to cause Alton to loose out on money, it's been in the terms and conditions all along that a ride may not be included.[/quote]

I don't think you could say its unfair that people are suggesting they may cancel their places.
Alton Towers is a business and this is supply and demand, if you're not offering what people want then people aren't going to buy it!

If Alton Towers loose out on money then thats tough!
Benedique

what i meant was its unfair for them to blame Alton Towers by cancelling their place, it's not Alton Towers fault, they have said all along its a preview weekend. Whether you meant to or not, you have agreed with me by saying if they aren't offering what people want then people aren't going to buy it.

People shouldn't have bought a place on the weekend on the basis of getting a ride because that isn't what Alton Towers were offering. I'm not trying to cause an argument, i just don't see how people can start getting so worked up about not being able to ride, it isn't as if Alton have promised a ride and are now taking it away, when people booked they knew a ride 'wasn't guaranteed'.

Don't get me wrong I understand how people are feeling, I was hoping we would get a ride and I was slighlty gutted when Alton confirmed we definitely weren't getting to ride. However I was aware from the start that i possibly wouldn't get to ride thirteen on this particular weekend and so I don't feel Alton are in the wrong in anyway at all and, as i previously mentioned, i don't think its fair for others to blame them, they have done nothing wrong. As others within this topic have mentioned, they haven't falsely advertised or gone back on a promise. People can't blame Alton Towers for their own ignorance towards the terms and conditions.
AstroDan

I pretty much agree 100% with the above. I booked, knowing it wasn't guaranteed, but secretly hoped that the ride would be available as it would be good customer service. Now that they have said it definitely isn't included, I am let down and dissapointed by that but can't really get worked up about it because at the back of my mind I always knew there was a chance of no ride.

It's still bad planning though in my view! However, perhaps the weather has held them back.
Dean

[quote=""Alton Towers""]We are busy preparing TH13TEEN and the surrounding area to ensure everything is ready for the official opening on March 20th 2010- this is our number one priority. With tight schedules and days of planned training and finishing touches we decided not to include a ride on TH13TEEN as part of this package when the package went on sale last year.

With current booking levels for the weekend we will already be taking a whole day out of the handover schedule to complete behind the scenes tours on the ride.

We will of course do everything in our power to ensure that the TH13TEEN Preview weekend lives up to expectations and provides excellent value for money. [/quote]

I've had some information about the Th13teen Weekend which i thought I would share with you, which is direct from Alton Towers.