Th13teen Preview Weekend: CANCELLED

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Islander

[quote=""cmpunk771""]I can almost hope we get to ride 1 ride because the whole point of the weekend is to show off the ride to us before the public so if we dont get to ride AT will put on some extras for us[/quote]
Well... no. That's entirely why they've put the clause up on their website that a ride isn't guaranteed. You signed up in full knowledge of this, so there's no reason why they should put any extras on if we don't get to ride.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

I hope they will offer a ride now seeing as though this "boot camp" night gives people the chance to ride. This is a month before the preview weekend. No excuses Alton! :P
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Craig

Mentioned this in the marketing topic as well but will do in here as well. The site only advises:
Applicants must be over 18 and will need to sign a disclaimer regarding physical and mental health. Applicants must be available on 2nd and 3rd March 2010 to attend the assessment and boot camp at the Alton Towers Resort.
That only says that the "boot camp" will be on that weekend, not the ride itself. I would imagine that those who are chosen will need to head back down to Alton at some point either on opening day or in the days before to attend a press launch. It'll no doubt happen in much the same way the SAW launch went with press and media days etc being held.

I'd by no means take the boot camp as a guarantee that a ride will be given for the preview weekend at the moment. As far as that goes, everyone is in the dark as much as they were before this competition was launched.
cmpunk771

No i think we will be getting a ride!

They are testing now with just theming to go so if there is no problems then there is no reason why the ride should not be up and running in a month and a half!

Now im exited!
fitchy

Just so everyone is updated... the alton towers website now also states that a ride is not included in the package. http://www.altontowers.com/default.aspx ... en+weekend

I had high hopes of being able to ride but anyway will still be a great weekend
Spike

Seriously? That's ridiculous!

There are people riding it before we go that are there purely for marketing bull and we're paying £300 to be shown the secret and not get to experience it. I'm seriously considering bowing out of the tour purely on cod's point, fair enough if the ride is not ready but it is by that date seeing as there are many people riding it before hand, and as for this part...
Photographs will be allowed during the event however due to the top secret nature of this event we would kindly ask that photographs are not published online until March 20th 2010.
You're having a laugh aren't you? We scratch your backs and you scratch your own eh Alton?

Well there is one un-happy customer already Alton, dangle a carrot by allowing others to ride and then refuse those paying a shed load for the preview weekend. I will be seriously re-considering this weekend now as I'm now questioning the nature in which Alton have created this weekend. [-X
*Honest Cint!*
evil cod

[quote=""Spike""]Seriously? That's ridiculous!

There are people riding it before we go that are there purely for marketing bull and we're paying £300 to be shown the secret and not get to experience it. I'm seriously considering bowing out of the tour purely on cod's point, fair enough if the ride is not ready but it is by that date seeing as there are many people riding it before hand, and as for this part...
[/quote]

You do realise the "boot camp" you speak of almost certainly wont involve a ride on thirteen, that will be done at a later date. The boot camp is just to decide who has that ride.
Big Dave

Seems like people are making judgement on things before even looking at what was originally posted by Alton Towers. It had always stated that who ever wins will need to be able to come back at a later date to actually do the ride, I believe it was March the 2nd and 3rd. Also note how it says nothing about even seeing the ride! It says that they will attend a boot camp at the resort. Nothing about the ride. The only ride they are likely to see is Air as Ride endurance test is going to be done on that.
Spike

[quote=""Big Dave""]Seems like people are making judgement on things before even looking at what was originally posted by Alton Towers. It had always stated that who ever wins will need to be able to come back at a later date to actually do the ride, I believe it was March the 2nd and 3rd. [/quote]

When's the preview weekend Dave? Seems like people aren't reading what I first put. We're there a whole 10 days after that. :?
*Honest Cint!*
evil cod

[quote=""Spike""][quote=""Big Dave""]Seems like people are making judgement on things before even looking at what was originally posted by Alton Towers. It had always stated that who ever wins will need to be able to come back at a later date to actually do the ride, I believe it was March the 2nd and 3rd. [/quote]

When's the preview weekend Dave? Seems like people aren't reading what I first put. We're there a whole 10 days after that. :?[/quote]

Yes, preview weekend is 10 days after the BOOT CAMP. Not the boot camp winners 'thirteen' ride. Since they wont be riding 'thirteen' at the boot camp its timing is of little significance.

March the 2nd and 3rd is the Boot camp, NOT their 'thirteen' ride the date for that is not yet announced.

Some people who attend the 2nd & 3rd bootcamp which will include riding air among other challenges will then be chosen to return to the park at a later as yet unconfirmed date (probably 1 or 2 days before season starts) to ride 'Thirteen'.
Dormiens-Dave

I have to agree with Cod, i don't think we will get a ride on Thirteen on preview weekend as they will want to save the first ride tag for which ever idiot is sad enough to embarrass themselves on youtube.

It is a shame but it was never guaranteed, and if you made the booking with the intention of getting a ride on the coaster you where probably being slightly misguided, as it was never confirmed as part of the package. It’s hard to complain because you "didn't get to do" what you where told you where "probably not going to get to do" anyway.

To be honest i booked because i wanted to hear John Wardley speak about the ride and see it in person, also the price of the weekend is quite good value for money just in the evening meals, swimming and golf with backstage access to Hex and Rita not taking into account thirteen at all.

Also the cats going to probably be out of the bag with regards to what happens in the building by then so i doubt we will have anything "spoiled for us".
nickn5

I'm not *too* bothered about the ride or not on the preview weekend, but I do think it's a bit naughty of Alton to imply there might just have been a chance: "ride not guaranteed", when obviously now there isn't at all. Seems (and I could be misjudging the situation) that Alton wanted to gauge reaction to the new ride first, got the Preview Weekend organised with an implication of a possible ride, then, realising just how much interest there was, decided to go ahead with a bigger publicity stunt which unfortunately results in us Preview Weekend lot rather taking 2nd place.

Which, like I said, for the money involved is a tiny bit naughty, but it should still be a thoroughly interesting couple of days, and I am looking forward to the backstage bits.

Islander

[quote=""nickn5""]I'm not *too* bothered about the ride or not on the preview weekend, but I do think it's a bit naughty of Alton to imply there might just have been a chance: "ride not guaranteed", when obviously now there isn't at all. Seems (and I could be misjudging the situation) that Alton wanted to gauge reaction to the new ride first, got the Preview Weekend organised with an implication of a possible ride, then, realising just how much interest there was, decided to go ahead with a bigger publicity stunt which unfortunately results in us Preview Weekend lot rather taking 2nd place.

Which, like I said, for the money involved is a tiny bit naughty, but it should still be a thoroughly interesting couple of days, and I am looking forward to the backstage bits.[/quote]
Hmm, I'd definitely agree with that. Granted, we all signed up with "ride not guaranteed", but I'd have much preferred "Ride won't be given".

The former suggests that, although not guaranteed, there's a chance, so naturally most people get their hopes up. Much better to state 'ride not included', and then if things change turn around on the day and go "Oh, by the way, situation's changed - who wants a ride?". Kinda like an added bonus.
AstroDan

Fundamentally, it is incredibly odd that Alton have had to take this path of not offering a ride when, by all accounts, it sould be ready to operate by the preview weekend as staff will have been training etc.

However, that said, as much as it is bizarre, Alton never claimed a ride was included and it was made perfectly clear on the website. However, the changing of the wording is a little poor, as it now states "it is not" included as opposed to "we don't guarantee". Seems they have made their mind up!

That said, I trust Alton Towers will do the honourable thing and offer ever guest at the Preview Weekend some sort of Fastrack/Exit Pass for Thirteen valid in March/April so that they can at least ride and avoid the queue. This would be a nice gesture.

I am sure something may operate at the preview weekend, albeit not Thirteen - perhaps Rita and/or Hex etc.
Big Dave

Im hoping that they will have a few rides open. Its a 3 day event and if its all talking about the rides and no actual going on rides, then it might be a tad boring.
cmpunk771

I am going to call them up tomorrow as i am seriously considering canceling! I am not going to moan because we are garnered not getting a ride but its annoying because its a 3 hour car journey and i wont go back to alton till the summer so i am going to call if and they say 100% NO on i ride i will cancel,

Its annoying because they did lead us to believe that we where the first and we where possibly going to get a ride! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""cmpunk771""]

Its annoying because they did lead us to believe that we where the first and we where possibly going to get a ride! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote]

I don't want to sound like i am getting at you in particular, because there are many who have said the same thing, and i can see where the disappointment comes from but i have to ask: at what point did Alton Towers ever lead anyone on to believe a ride on Thirteen was part of the package?

It could be that the wording has changed not because of the first rider comp, but because they know they won’t have it finished in time and they don't want to lose a day on theming for the preview weekend.

As can be seen the back of the building doesn’t seem to have been themed yet and that part is close to track, which would require scaffolding to come very close to the ride path, they would therefore have to remove all these obstacles to put them up again after the preview.

Most of the rumour suggests that it only made its first complete circuit at the end of last week, i think the snow has probably put the whole project back and they have likely realised they just can’t get it ready in time.

If they wanted to they could have run the first rider competition as well as given the preview weekend guests a ride by giving the first riders a go on that sat morning, they haven’t which suggests to me its due to a delay in the project rather than an evil marketing team.
fredward

well I'm not bothered about riding, I'm likely heading up with my friends soon after opening.

But when I first read about the weekend I got the idea that Alton Tower's was going to try their best to open the ride, but there not confirming it since theres a chance it may not have passed it's test's.

I'm now getting the impression that they never were going to give a ride and that was just clever word play in order to get more people to come to the weekend.

I've alway's wanted to go behind the scenes and it sounds like we will be among the first guests to stand in the area, so in my opinion it's still worth the money.

but i suppose some people may feel a bit conned right now and i can see why.
Mankey

It said "...and a CHANCE to ride th13teen..." on the web page before so... everyone getting upset should have realised that this could have been a possibility.

Tbh, £150 is still stupidly expensive even if the ride on it was thrown in. I'm going up the first weekend of feb opening. It's costing me £60 for the hotel for 2 nights and half the park is open. It's far better value for my money here. :|
Back from hibernation!
Islander

[quote=""Mankey""]It said "...and a CHANCE to ride th13teen..." on the web page before so... everyone getting upset should have realised that this could have been a possibility.[/quote]
I think everyone's getting upset about the fact that there's a chance we won't be allowed on because of publicity reasons.

If the ride isn't finished, or hasn't passed it's ADIPS, or there are technical issues, or anything like that, then no one can complain at all - we signed up knowing that might be the case.

If, however, it's sitting there ready to be ridden (so to speak), but we're not allowed on because of a publicity stunt (i.e. others are earmarked to ride it first), then that is a bit off, considering that we've paid a fair whack.