Alton Towers Visit: 14th April - Review + Pictures (Many)

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Ythyslz

My Alton towers Visit 14th April 2009

So yesterday was my second visit to Alton Towers, let me tell you now that i did really have a great day so the slaggin off that is going to take place did not ruin my trip at all i just have a few issues that i would like to share.

Pro's:
- Oblivion was fantastic, as my first time, but better because everything was working properly and never broke down not even once the hole time i was there (of what I'm aware).
- Hex is just a great ride all round, really brilliant, i had been on it before but i could just ride it over and over and never get bored lol.
- Since my last visit was back in 2007 this was the first time i had seen Mutiny Bay, WOW! It's really great.
- All effects were working around the part even little things that random guests's wouldn't even notice (such as mist and music ect.) which was a huge bonus after reading all the complaints on the forums after past years.
- Sharkbait reef looked really good from the outside, unfortunatly becuase of the queues i didnt get to see the inside.

Con's:
- I don't think i can even begin to explain how much queue times annoyed me, every ride we queued for was at least 60 minutes, (i think bar hex which was a little less) but rita was 90 minutes!
- For the second time i haven't been able to ride nemesis because i ran out of time in the park which is a major let down.
- Queue TV's were not working, i've heard many complaints about it ruining the atmosphere ect, trust me, with queue's like yesterday i don't really think you would care...
- Spinball Whizzer was closed all day due to "Technical Problems" i would love to know what these were because every time i looked at it there was a carriage running around it. =
- Queue's meaning i only got to go on 4 rides... which is rather bad imo, i should note im not blaming Alton Towers for this, obviously from thier piont of view they want as many people as possible to go to the park, i just think things like Queue TV's should be working.

I think I'm done there lol, ill show you the "Many" photo's i took during the day... (I have slightly modified some picture's, it wasn't a very sunny day, luckily it didn't rain though.)

A Very Closed YourDay Building:

X-Sector:
Firstlyapproaching X-Sector, blivvy really looks terryfing when approaching this land. Yet this is still myfaverourite ride in the park:

More pictures of Oblivion:

Hex:
I Kinder figured i might get wrong for using my camera on the ride but i took the risk and yeah, this women came on the overcom (or whatver) and told me camera's weren't allowed. =

Ug Land:

SW6 Site:
Wow, i mean its coming along great, a pile of rocks! :P
Another Picture of "The Sign"

Mutiny Bay:
Battle Galleon's
SharkBait Reef

Gloomy Wood:
This also shows how many people were there.

Forbidden Valley:
This picture was actually just to to show that i really think air needs a touch-up lol.

I Do have alot more pictures but i cant possibly post them all, you can use any photo's you like i really dont mind. =]

Thanks,
Ythyslz
[Archive]

There are some great pictures there! Not sure about your editing on the picture of Oblivion's drop, though (unless it was foggy on the day you visited!). Its the first time I've seen a picture of the SecretWeapon6 site and it looks... strange! Glad your day was good.

ImageLook at all those people queuing to see me! :mrgreen:
Rob L

Trust me, you should be grateful that the queueline TVs were not working, all they do is blast out music and show adverts. If they were working then I'm sure it would have made the whole queueing experience worse.

Ythyslz

[quote=""Rob""]Trust me, you should be grateful that the queueline TVs were not working, all they do is blast out music and show adverts. If they were working then I'm sure it would have made the whole queueing experience worse.[/quote]

Maybe, but i was just so bored lol. I suppose i did kinder like the music that made the atmosphere more real but not on oblivion imo they sounded more like whale nioses lol, nothing like the ride at all xD
Nick

Moved to Trip Planning and Reports :)
AstroDan

The number of pics in this thread has crashed my browser.

:(
Ythyslz

[quote=""AstroDan""]The number of pics in this thread has crashed my browser.

:([/quote]

Im Sorry! :(
chr1s

Yep it caused my browser to crash too, my god it did a right number on mine! But thanks a million for uploading the pictures they look great.
Pepsi is better than Coke!!
xEmmax

Just be grateful the queues of were only up to 90 minutes.

In the Orlando parks this Easter many were shut at full capacity by 11 - and if you were lucky enough to be in you have to deal with queues of up to 3 hours :O
Anonymous

60 min queues!? Is that normal? or because it was just after the Easter period?

I remember going back in 2000 (yes a VERY long time ago) but cannot remember what time of year we went. I think it was in August, and the longest we had to wait (for Oblivion) was aout 30 mins.

I am planning on going for 2 days (if my 50% off code goes ok), otherwise it will just have to be the one day - if the waiting times are that bad then one day just ISN'T enough time.
xEmmax

Don't worry I've been many times in high season in the summer and rarely had many waits as high as 60 (just one i think due to the ride breaking down while we were in the queue )

I think the OP was just unlucky it being near the Easter weekend, over the summer I think it being a longer holiday people are better 'distributed' if that make sense!

That said this season I do think will be busier due to more people choosing to holiday here then abroad, but hopefully we won't see queues that long.