The Haunted House (Rethemed)

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Adam

This is the official TTF Haunted House topic!
Last edited by Adam on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Tom M

I think The Haunted House was one of the best dark rides ever created, The effects and music put together helped to make riders think they were trapped and there was no way out of this creepy house.
The effects in the queue line also helped to build up tension to the actual ride such as Emily Alton singing and Sir Henry Alton's head talking in the fire. Since the HH has been demoted to Duel a lot of the effects have stopped working such as the hand in the bell jar that used to flinch every so often. The pages of the book on the big leather chair would turn. I think AT should pull themselves together and fix these, Yes I know they will say they cant have the head in the fire on because the speech talks over the audio of the video, so why not just put the head in the fire on without the speech like you did with Emily Alton?

Tom.
ShadowTD

TBH the Duel q walkthrough is shocking. There was a large drinks cup by the rocking horse for most of this year. I noted its presence every time I went. I think it had finally disappeared by fireworks.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see Duel as well maintained as the HH ever was. It's got to the point where they're just keeping it going until it gets replaced.

Come to think of it, can *anybody* name a time when themeing was added to a ride after it opened? And I mean added, not fixed or as part of a ride 're-vamp'? I suppose Black Hole is probably the only example.
Doopy Dan

The Haunted house had quite a few effects changed/moved and new ones added over its years and the last new effect The Haunted House saw before it changed to Duel was the face that opens up thats now at the end of the tunnel, and that was on the floor near the end of the ride when it was The Haunted House
Beaver Dude

I think The Haunted House was one of the best dark rides ever created, The effects and music put together helped to make riders think they were trapped and there was no way out of this creepy house.
Obviously you've never been on Hex then. Haunted house was only scary the 1st time I rode it every other time it was just OK. It was corny and lacked a story line and relied on cheap scares and lame models jumping out at you.

Now it's Duel it's fun every time you ride it although they really need some more models and a few smoke effects would also be nice.

Tbh I don't think I've ever been on a really great Haunted House ride even Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris is a bit pants although way better than HH ever was.

Yeah so Duel is way better in my oppinion.
Doopy Dan

Yea if you go on a ride like Phantom Manor and just ride it not actually knowing any background about it you wont really appreciate it as much as people who will. As the effects and scenes in The Haunted House were whipped up in a couple of months, but the effects and scenes used in Phantom Manor orignally date back from the 1960's and took upto about 8 years to develop, and all the effects and illisions used in Phantom Manor were orignally created in the 1960's and thats groundbreaking for that time. For me its when you really start to 'see behind the scenes' shall we say that i really start to appreciate a ride like that.
Kraken

Who remembers late on in the 2002 season when the Haunted House was in it's last weeks before the re-vamp to Duel. someone snapped off one of the fingers of the undertaker by the hearse in the Haunted House. The missing finger was promptly re-instated by putting a glove on the undertakers hand - it looked very comical as the glove was a completely different colour. I am sure I have seen a photo of this somewhere online.
Tom M

I wonder where this finger is now unless they got it and glued it back on.

*Will buy it is anyone has it* ;) :P
Doopy Dan

Its probably long gone, and ild say they would have just made a new hand for the undertaker.
UltimateDingbat

This place used to scare the hell outta me, still does actually lol but i dont like haunted houses in general, i dont even keep my eyes open on dual and i hated going on the phantom manor in disney land i was terrified. I manage blackpool like but still i hate hate hate haunted houses , but the hauntesd house was still better than dual
Don\'t like me learn to put up with me
Jnewcombe

Hi

Just wondering has anyone got any construction photos of the haunted house please

thanks in advance

Jon
42% of Statistics are made up on the spot!
Tom M

Da daaaa!

HH Construction Photos

Enjoy mr Jnewcombe sir. :P
Lozza

wow they are some good pictures, it looks massive!
also that is one amazing site with brilliant details :mrgreen:
:D
Hauntedone

:evil: Tom, I believe you have been looking at my site and using images from it, I don't mind you doing this but please credit the images to my site. I have credited people on my site for their images and help. Anyone interested in the Haunted House can see more photos and details at [link removed].

Personally I find that Duel and the haunted house could work together if the ride is updated and if the zombie story line is removed. This is something that I have spoken to AT about and submitted ideas for change.
:oops:

[Kaycee: There's a place for advertising and that's in the Traffic Boost forum. :)]
nemesis_nut

The Hanted House was old and had to go. You could see by the outside of the ride.
Apparently Dual is great though i havnt been on it yet :oops:
jordanw

Duel is good, but the Haunted House was slightly better. I can rememeber when i first went on it and i was terrified, the part with those monsters bursting out of the windows with the really sharp teeth (now replaced with zombies) was so good. I would really like to go on it when it firts opened to see all the effects when the were all working really well.
welshemz89

I agree with jordanw. I think it was good having the haunted house, especially when I was younger, I was always scared! I have an on -ride photo of me with my hood up and all you can see are my eyes looking around haha. But the loud screaming of the woman thingy used to annoy me a bit!
sammie04

For all those Haunted House fans I was on duel yesterday morning and it was just an ordinary ride. Got to the spider part and then suddenly i heard an Old Haunted House sound effect used "Are you scared of Spiders?" I know it's the same sound effect because it's on the old onride video of the Haunted House. Although when I went on in the afternoon it was gone.
stokywolf

"are you scared. . . . Of spiders" :D Oh and also the zombies that come out in that area had a new sort of scream.

I Loved the spiders sound bit :D Made me feal scared which is weird! :|
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Ant

Ahh Good old 'Are you scared of...... Spiders' sound effect wonder how the hell that managed to get on is there like a special speakers for that sound effect :-? Strange. I diddn't get to hear it due to going on in afternoon hope it makes a come back as it sounds freaky.