Were you ever scared of the Haunted House ?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
doom+sons1988

The Haunted House early 90s

Duel: The Haunted House Strikes Back ! 2003-

I can remember riding The Haunted House on it's opening year and finding it maybe the most bone chillingride experience of my life, this is probably because I didin't dare open my eyes from the front doors to the shop. All I could hear was hisses and hitch pitched screams my imagination went into overdrive and my screaming mum didn't help things. Though two years later I wasn't bothered at all I found it quite enjoyable.

Most my friends said that they wouldn't even go on the ride and just sit outside (my younger brother did this too) being disturbed by eeire music.
Though now with the revamp Duel it pulls in more riders because of the laser gun feature of the ride but do you think that shows that Duel has taken away the menace it once had ?
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
fanm

My dad took me into the queue and I got so spooked that I just starting crying and we left before we got onto the ride. I was only 4 and was an easily scared 4 year old at that!
Argh! REVISION
Ant

Yes I did back in 1994 I was terrorfied first time went on it I had my eyes closed through the whole thing and came off nearly crying got the photo of it and wouldnt go back on it that day everything about it scared me the music the atmosphere the scary portraits in the entrance room and dolls house and talking fire .
Dave

i was a little unerved by it when i went on it when it opened. i remember queueing through the graveyard for hours to get in there. how things change.

i dunno what to think abot the removal of that ivy though, i think it looked more spooky when that was there...
Satch

The Haunted House used to be such a unique experience back when it opened. I remember being fascinated by everything, comfused by the tunnel and scared of the spider. The holograms flying above were also amazing. But Duel, its completely taken away the ethos of the ride, and replaced it with a C-grade attraction that distracts entielry from the original theme.

Its turned Bram Stokers Dracula into Shaun of the Dead
fontdude

I was very scared. The first time I had my head hidden under my jumper! But I vowed the next time that I rode it I would be brave. Then the next time I visited, it was Duel....:x
2005 trips: 8th April (Best visit... ever!)
1st June (Even better...Nemesis 7 times!)
Wes

Well, The first time I visited Alton Towers my dad forced me to go on it but I was so scared .. I screamed and cryed not to! ... And I think after that it left a lasting impression and I never did ride the haunted house!

But last year I did get a ride on duel after I saw 7 year olds doing on :oops:
Lizbeth

I was scared when i first went on it - well i was a little girl! The spiders were the worst in there. I loved the tunnel bit and was always fascinated by it. Now, the most scary part is when a member of staff hides round a corner and jumps out at you! Duel has turned a good experience into just a battle of who can get most points. noone i know takes any notice of what is actually in there anymore.
\"It\'s not about winning or losing; it\'s about how drunk you get\"!
abbylei

It was so long ago that i went on it that i can barely remember my reaction or what was inside. I remember the dolls house with the little girl and a spider falling on my mom when we were in the tunnel, thats about it :( I was really young though so i probably cryed :lol:
doom+sons1988

The holograms flying above were also amazing
I wish they were still there and it all seems that you were scared by the Spider chamber scene (it's a classic use of general fear). Would you say The Haunted House was a benchmark in UK dark rides ? and why ?
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Altonator

I used to like the bit at the end because to get ride photos in those days you were given a voucher with a number on and you would take the voucher to the counter and your pic would match the code on the ticket on most rides the staff would hand you the ticket when you got out of the cars but on Haunted House one of the monsters had the tickets in it's hands and you had to take the ticket off it and I hated this so I always tried to sit in the other side of the car so I didn't have to get the ticket. :lol: :lol:
anyone else renember this?

I think it was this monster
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2n51k6
and it was near where the TV screen which shows you the ride pics these days
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Satch

Would you say The Haunted House was a benchmark in UK dark rides ? and why ?
Yes, because it was one of the first to create a real sense of atmosphere and really take you into the scenario, right from the queue through the graveyard, to the walkthrough of the house with the dolls house, rocking chair. Everything was so original, and I cant honestly believe its now Duel, thinking back
phillipvass

It was quite spooky when it first opened, but now you don't even realise it's suppose to be scary. All you see is green lights everywhere! :)
Last edited by phillipvass on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitchell

I never actually went on it when it was the Haunted House. I was far too scared. The eerie noises outside scared the poo out of me. I went into the first bit with all the scenery and I just held my dad's hand (I was little at the time by the way!) and stared. Then went out.
The year I finally thought, "right, this is the year!" it was turned into Duel. When I actually went on it I was disappointed because I thought there would be a big climax and loads of scary stuff but it wasn't! Tomb Blaster in Chessington's more scary in my opinion!
Luke excell

I only ever went on the haunted house 1 and my family Loved scary rides i was eyes shut covering my ears and screamin come on (i was only 7 years old) so i never saw wat was making them errie sounds my favorite part of the ride was gettting off running out (it wasnt my fault i begged the oporator to say it as broken) :mrgreen: :lol:
kalvaza

I remember going on it when i was 11 or something and was scared s**tless :oops:
I've still got that picture of me covering my eyes!

The new theming is pretty comical compared to the Haunted House. The music for Duel is pretty good with the guitars but it's like a mainstream song that would be in the charts for 2 weeks. Not scary.
Just put up pictures of Gwen Staphani, the smiling dog from the DFS adverts and play Britney Spear's "Toxic". (The keyboard solos over and over again! ARGHHH!)
Bring up more scares than a couple of flashing lights :wink: .
Anonymous

Just put up pictures of Gwen Staphani,
<-- whats wrong with the Gwen?! I love the Gwen.

I cant say it scared me, but I used to love the tension as you walked through the house part, the eyes were just lightbulbs but they were cool, and I liked how you could hear the girl in the doll house and the head in the fire, now you see those random tv screens with a news reporter which basically takes your attention away from the actual surroundings which I still think are good.
I did hate those little uv jellyfish type things that had a stupidly high pitched noise and jumped up and down, i had sensative ears the first time i rode it and they hurt so much.

The new version is just poor, they put in some LEDs and guns and for me ruined it.
Anonymous

I chickened out in 2002!

I just can't stand the spiders in there!

*Shivers*

Falcon... :nervious:
Tom M

I dont remember being really scared but as soon as the first devil thing pops out my brother had to hide in my mums coat for the rest of the ride!

By the way i was slightly scared... :shock:
Makusu

To tell the truth I never rode it until it turned into Duel because I was scared.. :P