Were you ever scared of the Haunted House ?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
doom+sons1988

A girl at College recently said she wouldn't go in Hex because the entrance looked to imposing. I can understand that infact Hex's entrance looks way more scarier than The Haunted House/Duel's.

I think Hex should have a exterior theme tune outside like a quieter version of the main theme.

Also I was listening to Duel's Soundtrack and have noticed that the exterior music has similar hooks to the interior. Just a bit of useless information but there you go.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Dom1991

Let's just say I'm reluctant to go on Duel! :oops:

That gives you an idea how scared I would be on HH! well, anyway, i'm going on this year. (hopefully!!!)
Lozza

i'm a wimp!! :oops: i used to get really scared on the HH!!!! :P my dad and my two sisters used to tease me by tapping me on the shoulder!!! i thought it was a really scary effect until i saw the photo! (my dad tapping me on the shoulder) but that was years ago when i was really young, the last time i remember going on it before the revamp i kept my eyes open allll the way round! 8) but the photo was hilarious!!! (i had a white face with the look of shock on it!!)
yer i think that it's not as good as duel (then again....i only say that cos i get a rubbish score alllll the time! :P )
:D
doom+sons1988

That gives you an idea how scared I would be on HH! well, anyway, i'm going on this year. (hopefully!!!)

I used to have this problem after I first went on HH. I never went on anything that was remotely scary or enclosed for two years but then I gained some courage and went on HH with my eyes open. After it never bothered me and I began to love the ride.

Dom C go on it you'll really enjoy it, and think about it's not as scary as it used to be.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Mankey

:lol: i remember every time i went on it, it broke down! i went on it about 6 times :P
it was so funny cuz i remember once we stopped right in front of that uge spider for about 30 mins... i was about 7 and i dont think i slept well that night :mrgreen:

but i remember the first time i went on it i was 5... and seriously i dont think i opend my eyes until i entered Forbidden Valley! :lol:
Back from hibernation!
Anonymous

Hell yes.

I was terrified, even in my twenties!

I was glad when it became Duel, because I was filled with most incredible sense of revenge...

But then, I'm odd.

~Sarah~
(New to Forum)
ukool

the spiders really scared me, it was so good before they changed it
Soph

I was petrified of it when I first went on it
Richie

I never went on it untill it turned into dual and I always regret that fact everytime I go there now
bazzatuk

Gotta admit I bricked it the first time I saw it. So much so I sent my mate in ahead to ride it first, then I went on it with him, but didn't want to go on it at all and made out I thought Ghost Train rides were just rubbish in general so I didn't look like a wimp.. I was 12 at the time.

Anyhoo, can't say I feel the same these days. However I hated that walk through Ghost maze at Blackpool Pleasure Beach with the real actors... now that is something everyone will jump out of their skin at some point. They just have everything well timed and you don't really see kids go on that ride.

Back when the HH was the HH it was superior. I only went on Duel for the first time this year and was really disappointed. I was looking forward to reliving my memories of old. Shame... Alton ditch the guns and completely renew the themeing... a sit back ghost train is better than the black walls of tiny leds and absolutely nothing happening at all. Those screaming heads used to be awesome as well, the ones that just appeared above your heads and kinda flickered... oh the memories.
MikeB

Before the start of last year i had not been to AT for years, so i cannot really remember what the haunted house was like. I'm sure i did go on it years ago when i was about 12 and i was slightly nervous if i remember correctly.
plasticboy

The Dinosaur at the end used to get me every time! Thats until the strobe light stopped working!
Cobra_Roll

Went on it when I was about 4 years old(1994),

The ghoul that comes flying out at you near the beginning (This 1- http://www.ukrides.info/col/alton/duele.JPG )was enough to scare to be shut eyed & crying for the rest of the ride. From then on I never went near another hauned themed ride again.

I only rode a haunted house again earlier this year (Duel) & I guess Im glad I did. It cured me of my fear of haunted attractions.
<3-roll. Geddit?
Beaver Dude

Tbh I was only scared of the HH on my 1st time of riding. It got worse and more boring every time you rode it. Duel was a massive improvement as you can now actually ride it more than once. It is well overated as it could've been so much more like Phantom Manor at Disney but the failed to add any story line and tbh the ride was pretty corny. Duel is still corny but this now adds to the ride as it isn't really meant to be scary.
Stevie_Cee

Well, i remember riding it before it became Duel, although like many others before me, i was a chicken and didnt have the nerve to open my eyes once i had sat down in the cart! (I was 12 when i first rode it!) But after that, on the same day, i rode it with my eyes open a futher 3 times! I have a pic of the Haunted House taken last year, and there is a blaintant ghostly figure on it! :!:
CoasterCrazyChris

The ride is no match to phantom manor at disney or even the haunting at Drayton manor; the theming has always beh fairly bad and tacky even before it became duel, and then they add laser guns and hundreds of dots to shoot at, what is this suppost to be; the haunted house at the country top theme park......or laserquest?!!!!!!!! :no:
Ollie

[quote=""BOGGY""]The ride is no match to phantom manor at disney or even the haunting at Drayton manor; the theming has always beh fairly bad and tacky even before it became duel, and then they add laser guns and hundreds of dots to shoot at, what is this suppost to be; the haunted house at the country top theme park......or laserquest?!!!!!!!! :no:[/quote]

Major Lol!

The Haunting has to be the worst Dark Ride I have ever been on. Im sure many people will agree.

The story is lame (ghostbusting - how original!) and theming is awful. Tbh, I prefer the Duel Queue as a Ride, compared to 'T3H Haunting'...

Sorry about this rant...:P

I just really loathe 'The Haunting'.
Rush

^ I cannot agree more, The Haunting is utter shambles.

As for the haunted house, I have to say I hated it as a child. The whole thing used to scare me from entering the house in the queueline to leaving. I only rode it the once before it became Duel, and I was about 6 so I was allowed to be scared :P . Can't say I remember much of it though...
Doopy Dan

I first visited the towers in 1999, and yes The Haunted House scared the living life out of me, i can only really remeber the undertaker and spiders from that visit.

Saying this though, back in the day the now demolished Crypt at Drayton Manor used to also scare me sensless, and that wasnt much of a ride!
nemesis_nut

Can i just ask, when did they remove the ivy? Or have i just miss read.