Tree Top Quest [SBNO]

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Alex

As DanN pointed out in the SB last night AT have submitted planning permission for a high ropes course. The application can be seen here

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... PKID=69394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was pointed out that it could be in Cbeebies Land however due to height restrictions around that area I dont see it being there.

I reckon it's more likely to be by the hotels as there is more woodland and it would blend in nicely. As described in the application there is also a corrugated metal building there.

Credit to Kurtis Rodgers on TS for the photo

Last edited by lewis97 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

Having thought about it some more since last night, I agree that it is more likely to be near the hotels.

With the Enchanted Village opening next year the resort needs something else to keep kids entertained. Also isn't the CBeebies/Adventure Land area under a GDO so they wouldn't have to submit specific plans for those areas? As Alex also mentions the height restrictions would also come into play.

There's very little to go on at the minute but it'll be interesting to see what comes of this.
jjoverrun

Sadly it says that the application was invalid :(

Credit to nemesis rider for this awesome pic :D
pleaty

The application being invalid means that further information is required before the planning process can start (this takes 13 weeks) it does not mean that the application will be refused or withdrawn, although of course both of those things can happen.
jjoverrun

Sorry didn't know :)

Credit to nemesis rider for this awesome pic :D
sw7nutter

You mean stating they want a high ropes course isn't detailed enough. Anyone could tell you that it was invalid. You need to state location and some dimensions.
mark_h

sw7nutter wrote:Anyone could tell you that it was invalid.
The planning portal linked above does not show any of the supporting documents supplied with the planning application. These would include location plans, elevations etc. These will only become publicly visible after the application is validated.

The system allows the public to comment on the application which would seem odd on an invalid application (if the submitter never supplies the extra information the application will not proceed and the comments would be worthless).
daveclarkedaveclarke

I think this is exactly what would add to the resort as long as it's done well. As details are very few and far between I hope this doesn't fall through. Ideally locating it near the new village would seem logical.
mark_h

A high ropes course would seem to be too low capacity to have in the park itself, assuming it is the type that guests have to wear harnesses, so it would fit better into the resort.
Dan

In a further development, the application now has numerous attachments which can be viewed by clicking the link in the original post.
Sr88

Yeah, I doubt it will be a part of the park if it is built. More likely something separate which people travel there to use that, for some money.
Altontowersbarlow

If I remember correctly there were plans for a children play area to be included within the development of The Enchanted Village accommodation. Could these further plans for a high rope course just be an expansion of the original idea of an adventure course within the Enchanted Village?
TheBeast

Yeah, im with ATB here. It's probably just an add-on to the new area
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Danny

My guess would be a play area for the enchanted village or a new route replacing the woodland walk.

However, could this not just be the rope walkways used to enter the luxury tree houses?
Kirsty25

I've just read that it is in the woodland near the hotels by the overflow car park and is set to be like a Go Ape kind of attraction. (read on TS facebook)
mark_h

The location plan is available on the planning link above, as are proposed layout plans.

From the noise assessment:
it is understood that the High Ropes Course will attract between 250-300 people per day during peak times. This number would be reduced during other times of the year, particularly the winter season. It is further estimated that 60-80 persons would be using the course at any one time.
From the transport statement:
It is anticipated that tickets for the High Ropes course will be available either in combination with the theme park entrance or, as with the Extraordinary Golf attraction, separately.
Ladyofthelake

TowersTimes have summarised the full plans over on their news page. The full article is available here: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2014/ ... rs-resort/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dom

I'm unsure if this is a very good idea from AT or a not so good idea. On one hand it is something different and unexpected from them but then again Go Ape! seem to be in quite a lot of locations now a days. But i will be following this as i think it could be very interesting to see how this progresses.
JustWill

It seems that Alton Towers is now trying to compete with all other attractions in the UK
•The high ropes course and lodges are clearly competing against Centre Parcs.
•The Waterpark is kinda competing against the Sandcastle in Blackpool.
•The theme park is competing against every other theme park in the UK.
•And the beautiful, beautiful gardens.

In my opinion, they're trying harder and harder to become an all-around resort.
Sr88

Which in my opinion is a good thing!