YourDay

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Henry

How did the YourDay DVD work, i never got one and i am wondering, how did it find out the rides you got on? and how did it film you, or did it at all?
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
cybermen39

We got 1 and it only worked on rita but still have both wrist bands and dvd box is nice to keep.
cybermen39

Sorry it showed footage of the ride then just taking off with you on the ride but its very quick it was more filmed footage than of yourself really.We went on most of the rides but it did not work on them but i remember we only payed for what it filmed.
Kenzie2012

Basically, as you entered the park you were handed Yourday Velcro wristbands which had chips in them. These chips were read by radio beacons around the park in certain areas. Most of which are actually still in the same place they were when it first tried to launch.

As you walked down Towers Street for example, your band was read by some readers next to the trees near the coke kiosk, this then activated the camera on top on towers trading that recorded you. At the end of the day, you took your band back to the Your Day office and your footage was assembled.

Air is a prime example of a ride in motion, as your leave the station and enter the tunnel, the readers are on the floor and this then activated cameras on the lift hill!

It was a fantastic idea and truly a great shame it did not work.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Vladimir Bobinski

The original RFID sensors for the wristbands I don't believe have every been removed from anything, the river rapids and air are two big examples of them being prominent.

That being said I think Rita had them removed since they were just clipped onto the railings.
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukparknews

They were/are very messy looking.
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

www.ukparknews.co.uk
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

They were taken off Rita this winter
LiamC

A small element of this is still available on Air where you can buy a DVD of your ride and the cameras are still active.
Kenzie2012

alex tyler wrote: They were taken off Rita this winter
They were only partially removed from Rita this year. The ones that were on the far side of the station attached to the railings..... To show the pure laziness of the resort, the ones attached to the air gates that cover the queue side of the station are still there!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

The resort are in the process of taking them all down but it takes quite a while because they have to remove all the wiring and everything else as well and they have a lot more important things to concentrate on, as you all keep pointing out.  I believe the current target is to have the infrastructure all gone by 2016.  Rita was meant to be fully removed but it took a lot longer to take them off than they thought and 9/10 of guests won't notice the ones in the airfares anyway! The really horrible ones have gone!  Luckily 13 was never ruined with them in the first place, whoever thought they were a good idea needs sacking, they ruined every ride they were put on!
ryanlovesaltontowers

The ones in the Oblivion station are most noticeable to me, they look really ugly and take away the simplicity of the inside walls of the station. If your sitting under them waiting to be dispatched you can barley see the TVs as they're blocked by the scanners. Rip them down, along with the cabling, then while they're doing that, put some big TVs in the Oblivion station.
Tryst

I like the idea of YourDay. It's a nice piece of electronic engineering; pity it didn't work properly. I'd certainly like to see something like it return, but with better concealment of the RFID readers.