Which Theme Do You Prefer?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.

Which area theme do you prefer?

UG Land
37%
Dark Forest
63%

Total votes: 121
Corkscrew Lover

:D
gaz1313

Ug Land, preferably before Rita.
DavidRock

gaz1313 wrote: Ug Land, preferably before Rita.
Agreed deffinately  :D
TheBoyWithOneEye

Ug land looked cheap  :lol:
Liam-AltonTowers

Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
CoasterCrazyChris

Liam-AltonTowers wrote: Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.
Th13teen station aside the Dark Forest is as good as devoid of any theming at all.
gaz1313

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Liam-AltonTowers wrote: Almost certainly Dark Forest, I never went to the park when Ug Land was around but I've seen pictures and videos and stuff and like what TheBoyWithOneEye said it did look cheap. The theming wasn't as good and the Dark Forest has better rides in my opinion. We all loved the Corkscrew but it was getting old, it's something a lot of theme parks have where as with Thirteen it is unique in many ways. Plus Rita looks better with all it's new theming and I love how they've wrapped vines around the Rita tyre to show it's old and decayed. The Dark Forest in general is just better themed and has better rides. Saying that though I would like to see some kind of thrilling flat ride in there in the future as the area won't be as successful as the Forbidden Valley without good flat rides like Ripsaw and Blade.
Th13teen station aside the Dark Forest is as good as devoid of any theming at all.
Agreed. Dark Forest is good, but a lot of it is the Thunder Rock Ug Land stage but darker with vines.

Ug Land had a certain magic that the Dark Forest doesn't really have.
Last edited by gaz1313 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZozMeakizz

Ug Land. I loved the Flintstones feel of it all, and the water splashy thing. I just think the Dark Forest is too sparse to be a forest.
R.I.P. Beastie!! You were my first terror!! :')
http://zoztpg.blogspot.co.uk/
dominoes

I never particularly liked Ug Land, as it didn't really make much sense. Drag Racing Cavemen. But now that there are vines and stuff, the idea of Theme Park area taken over by evil Vines sort of makes sense.
rossdeadmanz

I've voted for Ug Land (Pre-Rita Era).

I find Dark Forest far too sparse to be immersive or convincing. I do prefer the concept of it to Ug Land but the reality of it isn't quite so successful
oliviamae

Dark Forest but Ug Land is fluttery-excitement-nostalgic for me. More because I associate it with happy times:) Dark Forest's theme is much better thoguh
Kenzie2012

UG Land for sure... The theme from start to finish was excellent.
All of the rides looked superb when they were kitted out before Rita came along. The area felt electric as you entered under he Bone archway and down towards he Corkscrew queue line.
This is absolute twoddle..... Dark Forest has next to no theming or atmosphere. If you turn your back on The Crypt and station you'd be forgiven to think you were in a field rather than a forest.

Best feature of UG Land - Cave House!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Marcus

Kenzie2012 wrote: UG Land for sure... The theme from start to finish was excellent.
All of the rides looked superb when they were kitted out before Rita came along. The area felt electric as you entered under he Bone archway and down towards he Corkscrew queue line.
This is absolute twoddle..... Dark Forest has next to no theming or atmosphere. If you turn your back on The Crypt and station you'd be forgiven to think you were in a field rather than a forest.

Best feature of UG Land - Cave House!
Yeah I agree the Dark forest isn't really a forest as such, on the outskirts of it yes.
Heisenberg96

I know I'll be biased seeing as how I only visited the towers once when Ug Land was around, but I much prefer the Dark Forest. The whole mysterious feel has been really well marketed
clayj

Honestly dont know how to vote on this one.... Technically UL was better themed as by definition, it was themed. As many have pointed out, there is very little to no theme in DF... However, i feel the DF has the potential to be better themed !! I'd love to see a couple of flat rides to compliment the two coasters alongside more re-themeing to Rita... Although, i cant think of a relatively good retheme for a launched car coaster lol
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
DrReeve

clayj wrote: Honestly dont know how to vote on this one.... Technically UL was better themed as by definition, it was themed. As many have pointed out, there is very little to no theme in DF... However, i feel the DF has the potential to be better themed !! I'd love to see a couple of flat rides to compliment the two coasters alongside more re-themeing to Rita... Although, i cant think of a relatively good retheme for a launched car coaster lol
other than a race car for a launched coasters their isnt much else.
Image credit to Lewis97
clayj

DrReeve wrote: other than a race car for a launched coasters their isnt much else.
Exactly, that's where i'm stuck... Although they could replace with standard cars (not themed) and build a church like building over the station to make it fit more with the crypt of 13... Have the Large church doors closed over the station exit... doors fly open & train shoots out ? If they wanted to go all out the could change the buildings around the edge to be themed more like a run down ye olde England creepy cottages kinda theme (they might have some of merry old England lying around lol) then throw in a couple of flats to complete the DF & potentially link it in with Hex across the courtyard ? This way it could be themed as the village over shaddowed by the towers & also include Hex in the lineup ??

An idea I've always had would be to extremely heavily over theme a Huss Jump2 to that of a tree, say covered in chains @ the far end of the DF.. Would fit in with Hex in DF

http://www.hussrides.com/giant-rides/jump2.html
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
JonoD

Tricky one, but I have to go with Dark Forest. Even before Rita came about and gave Ug Land an identity crisis, the area to me seemed very... cheap. Walking into Ug Land in those days kind of felt like walking into surreal adventure playground (with all the multicoloured boulders and stuff) than an actual themed land. The absolute bare bones theming ( :lol: ) around Corkscrew didn't do many favours for me either. It always felt kind of like another Cred Street to me.

When Dark Forest arrived on the scene, the area had a much better identity and a I believe a better atmosphere as well. The Th13teen crypt still stands as one of my favourite set pieces on the park and even Rita kind of feels more at home now.
SamSimkin

Personally I think alton have missed a trick not relating the dark forest to hex, they could have been so good together!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Tom.B

Ug Land - As much as I like Dark Forest, the whole park has turned into more of a dark thrill park. If only Alton brought back the magic and more family rides. Rollercoasters, but not really intense, dark, scary story lines ones  :twisted: