Corkies opening day

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Ritair_nemmivion

Hey all my first thread in the archive, was just wondering how many of you were at alton on the day the corkscrew opened for the very first time? im presuming it would have been immense as back then it would have been what nemmy was to '94 blivvy to '98 etc. if so has anyone got any pics? forgive me if this has already been mentioned, i was just curious
Nightfall

It's a good question. I can't answer for opening day (or anything specific before 2004) but my dad visited in the opening year.

From what he told me It wasn't really comparable to other rides because Alton wasn't a theme park back then. The gardens were the big draw and the rides an extra. Plus the queues were apparently so long he never actually went on any of the rides.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Hurri

My mother visited early on in Corkscrew's life, it was a pretty big deal, the fact it had inversions was really hyped up.
Themeparksandy1981

I Watched the Alton Towers story and they said on the first bank holiday after the ride opened the corkscrew was getting 6 to 9 hour queues. The motorways were grid locked
bensaund

It is such a shame that a ride which was so popular is now gone  :cry:
If you go down to the woods today