On-Ride Breakdown Experiences

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
TheDuke

I've posted this somewhere else on here before, but apart from phones on Oblivion, I've had to be walked out of Duel by staff.
Piplup2003

I've had a couple of near misses at Alton, the people in front of us on Galactica were stuck in the position for about 20 minutes and the car behind us on Wicker Man was stuck in the brakes for about half an hour.

The only personal stories I have to share is when me and my mum were stuck on Th13teens lift hill for around 10 minutes (right at the back as well), and the obligatory Skyride stop.

Typically, I also seem to be the only person here who's not been stuck on Duel :(
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.
Mikw

Got stuck on the Skyride for ten minutes a few weeks ago, Was hugely relieved it started again.  Bearing in mind how long a full evacuation takes....
vikkimoo

I can't imagine anything more terrifying than being evacuated from the Skyride. I have to close my eyes whenever I'm on it!
Swarm Chris

A SeaWorld Orlando break down, Antarctica Empire of the Penguin. Our car stopped rotating really early into the ride, meaning by the time we arrived at the station we were facing the wrong way and the car refused to dock. Being stuck for about 15 minutes wouldn't be so bad, but the exit station is in the Penguin habitat and is kept at about 0c. Eventually they rescued us with a step ladder.

The rescue team:

Oyr broken vehicle, so close to the station:

Plus bonus second near break down experience. Pirates of the Caribbean, the boat in front of us was weighed down a little too much. I could see the back of it extremely low down. Well, not long after the drop, it got beached next to the pirate ship. Took our boat and then the one behind it to clear it. Glad it did, otherwise people would have had to wade out as it's the only part of the ride not next to a surface.
Cobby

I don't think I ever posted it on here but earlier this year I got evacuated from Big Thunder at DLP. It stopped on the second lift and so we had the furthest to walk to get off but it was one of the best break down experiences ever. You have to walk along a path across the side of the mountain and into the rock facade itself. Once inside it turns into a warehouse with florescent lighting and metal staircases obviously with it being Disney the rock work starts well before where it needs too. Then you walk out onto the first lift down the stairs into the tunnel underneath the river and back up the other side into the station. It must've took a good 10-15 mins to walk it out but it was absolutely amazing. It also made me have such an appreciation of how much planning must've gone into the ride and the layout as it was so well connected
Whataday

As a child I got stuck on the Haunted House (pre-Duel) next to that ugly screaming thing near the end (a pillar rotates to reveal it).  It froze and loomed over us for at least 15 minutes.

Also, once rode a Pinfari dragon coaster (like Beastie) at a place called Luna Park in France, which they couldn't seem to stop, and it went around again and again and again for at least 15 minutes before it stopped away from the station and we were eventually slowly brought in (by them pushing it... I think).  That might sound like a dream come true to coaster enthusiasts but 15 minutes is a LOT of circuits of such a simple ride which ended up quite distressing, particularly each time we passed the station and could see the panicked look on the operator's face.
michael.boyd

I have gotten stuck on Duel twice on my visits to Alton Towers trips.
1) 2009 for the first time in the Spiders Hall, the car was just about to turn and then it stops.
2) In 2015 at the Sinister Garden the car again stopped in front of the Undertaker, I was held for a minute and then it started up again.