If You could bring back one past ride?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
extremis

Bring back toyland tours it has the most catchy theme tune ever, and more scenery to look at than blooming charlie which i dont like.
Also the corckscrew, should have been saved and moved to dreamland heritagepark margate
found in the depths of blackpool dungeons, being hung from extremis
doomey

[quote ]

No it's not it just hasn't been looked after very well. What has "renovation" or "retheme" got to do with anything the Forbidden Valley theme was added when Nemesis was build Thunderlooper was left untouched.

[/quote]

I maybe incorrect on this, but I seem to remember someone telling me thunderlooper was removed because local residents complained they could see the ride above the tree lines.  :?

Anyway, I would bring back black hole, all day long!
twitter : doomey
mrbrightside

doomey wrote:I maybe incorrect on this, but I seem to remember someone telling me thunderlooper was removed because local residents complained they could see the ride above the tree lines.  :?
And it disrupted cows breeding!
ImageImage
doomey

mrbrightside wrote:
doomey wrote:I maybe incorrect on this, but I seem to remember someone telling me thunderlooper was removed because local residents complained they could see the ride above the tree lines.  :?
And it disrupted cows breeding!
Llamas ;)
twitter : doomey
Big Dave

So want to ride a Vekoma corkscrew. Wonder if Staffordshire council will let me put one in the school field opposite? :P
stretchy

The ride i most missed was Gravitron.
Followed by Thunderlooper.

If you are too young to remember Gravitron go look at http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ol ... vitron.htm
Basically it was the most dangerous spiny wall of death ride ever. I personally remember coming off it bleeding. But apart from the sheer danger of the ride, it was one of those rides where you discover. You got to feel constant G forces. And basically i always came off it laughing (normally at one of my friends who had tried to do something daft). I Think they should put it in the new X sector. It would fit with the experiment theme, especially if it was spruced up a but to look like a downed space craft or something.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Chubba

I would have boneshaker back anyday! Such a fun ride!!
NastyPasty

It's all about Splash Kart Challenge tbh. :)
Keep on whistlin', folks.

Jak3 Mac

The black hole or corkscrew and Ug Land in general
RustyRider

I'd bring back the oblivion of yesteryear! Rather than the mouldy, half assed mist, patchy track, faded carts and no sound effects versionthat we have now..although it Is still the best ride on park!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Chubba

RustyRider wrote: I'd bring back the oblivion of yesteryear! Rather than the mouldy, half assed mist, patchy track, faded carts and no sound effects versionthat we have now..although it Is still the best ride on park!

Thats a bit harsh!! Coasters dont stay shiney and new until they day they are pulled down! Sometimes a bit of rough look can give the ride character ie nemisis!! It would be near impossible and very very costly for parks to keep rides looking like new for x amount of years, and to be honest i and many others would rather see the time, money and effort put into bigger things which will keep gate numbers up and allow the park to stay open for years to come!
RustyRider

Thats a bit harsh!! Coasters dont stay shiney and new until they day they are pulled down! Sometimes a bit of rough look can give the ride character ie nemisis!! It would be near impossible and very very costly for parks to keep rides looking like new for x amount of years, and to be honest i and many others would rather see the time, money and effort put into bigger things which will keep gate numbers up and allow the park to stay open for years to come!
Harsh, no. Harsh reality, yes. I tell you what keeps a park open for years to come... A park with top notch maintenance, and one that actually spends money on upkeep of the park, it's not all about adding a new ride.

Nemesis (not nemisis  ;)) has always looked that way even from opening day, except for the monster which is looking dire also. Oblivion is themed around a modern reasearch facility and is supposed to look sleek and clean cut...so yeah I don't think I'm being harsh at all, especially considering I said It was still the best ride on park, in spite of its now laclustre appearance.
Last edited by RustyRider on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chubba

Lol im sure thats the reason...i can see it now "mum dad, can we pllllleeease go to alton towers?? Oblivion has had a lick of paint and i realy want to go see it"  :P
RustyRider

Your not really seeing the bigger picture here..I'm not saying its the sole reason for a park staying open, but it does play a massive park, would you wanna pay £42 to go somewhere that was dirty, messy and go on rides that have slowly lost their effects and left to rot for 12 years? No, neither would I and neither would the general public.

Oblivion hardly gets a queue these days, ok partly because of the throughout, but mainly due to lack of anything in x-sector...dya see where I'm going with this? It all has massive implications on the publics perception of 'value for money and quality'.

To put it another way, you wouldn't eat in a dirty restaurant...no matter how big the menu is or how amazing the food is.
smudge.

Oblivion will get big ques again when SW7 opens though I guarantee.

Even if Oblivion had no paint whatsoever and had mould growing on the seats I would still ride it regardless, as would most I feel.

Lets face it - Alton would never let it get that bad, but a bit of faded paint... I really don't see how that would EVER stop any member of the public from going on it.

Comparing it to a dirty restaurant is ludacris too, if my food was cooked on Oblivion I would expect it to be clean - but to ride a, well 'machine' I guess, i would not expect it to be clean nor would I 'kick off' because it was dirty.

Although I do wish it was better - i do believe that the money should be spent on new attractions / other things (ie ents) because that's what people come for at the end of the day.

As for paying £42 - only 15% of guests pay that anyway - and I, for one, have never heard one of them (or anyone) coming out saying, "well that was a let down - the bloody rides were not freshly painted & the que wasn't 2 hours long so I missed the que-line video - FML!"

WOOPS - for the topic - BH or boneshaker, mainly BH because of the station & indoor que section - the suspense - my god  :lol: and there are no other rides where you can press your dick on a lass' back! Won me over - at that age anyway...
Last edited by smudge. on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterCrazyChris

The thing is it's always sad to see something looking dirty and run down especially when you can remember a time when it was new and looked really good.

Even the general public think this, regardless of whether they particularly care it still gives the overall impression that things are not being looked after.

This is particularly the case with X-Sector and Oblivion because all I can think when in these areas is "how good must this have been when it was first built".

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudge.

^ I agree with your point and I would be lying if I said i preferred xsector now, but when the GP see SW7 next year they are not going to think about how run down oblivion is.

I just think though, it will NEVER get back to how it was - for instance, how ever much you look after an old car - it still looks old. Alton do obviously do look after Oblivion - its not like it lays forgotten where no one goes, it has seen many (albeit relatively minor) spruce-ups and re-paints - new seats & OTSR's etc.

Alton's maintenance is arguably the best in the UK, but like I said, I would rather it be functionable & do 'the job' rather than look 'new'. By do the job I mean 'scare the sh*t out of you and give you a THRILL' which it has never ceased to do & hopefully never will.
BigAl

smudge. wrote: ...for instance, how ever much you look after an old car - it still looks old.

Sorry? ;)
AstroDan

Either of:

The Haunted House
or
Toyland Tours

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk