What was project Dolphin?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Trixz

Can someone please remind me what project dolphin was?
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
James

Project Dolphin was an original plan thought up of back in 2004/2005.

The project would have involved the creation of a new themed area or the redevelopment of several existing areas to create a place where guests could have experienced "once in a lifetime" experiences. It would have been offered similar experiences to what you can do at Discovery Cove in Folrida.

It was a very ambitious project but was shelved as the development team felt at the time that Alton was not ready for such a project.

The only images that remain online that show some of the plans are these ones below, all taken from Rollercoaster Pro.

WillPS

Is this what was planned for Cred Street when most of the street was shut off in 2004?
Joe Koopa

[quote=""WillPS""]Is this what was planned for Cred Street when most of the street was shut off in 2004?[/quote]

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Cred Street was closed for the Jazz Land area planned. I think all we have now from the plans is Charlie. :)
WillPS

Relatively certain Jazz Land is a load of guff. All the details in the bottom (numbers and stuff) are the same as those on the Air plans.

If they were true, it still wouldn't hold water that it was closed for that because Toyland Tours remained open, and the majority of the construction involved Toyland Tours and the former 'CoasterCorner' area.

I would simply discount the closure as 'cost cutting' but the fencing had a gargoyle or something on it.
James

Jazz Land and Project Dolphin were both separate projects. Jazz Land was specifically planned for Cred Street/Coaster Corner whereas Project Dolphin was undecided at the time (but was also believed to have been planned for Cred Street/Coaster Corner coincidently). I think Project Dolphin was a development planned for 2007 onwards where Jazz land cropped up in 2004. Although both projects seem very similar Jazz Land was never confirmed by Alton Towers, only Project Dolphin was confirmed along with the plans I posted above that were shown on one of the 2006 behind the scenes tours.

This was all back in the days when the wooden coaster, relief road and new park entrance were in development stages too which have all now been seemly dropped (apart from the new entrance).
Crofty

I'm Sure that Dolphin was planned for Car Park J. Next to Air or around where Extraordinary Golf is now.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Jazzland, as well as the Booster Bike for Gloomy Wood was simply a result of good photoshopping.

Other parts of Project Dolphin were treehouse playareas behind blackhole, additional iconic structures in the gardens, a towers street redevelopment and an extensive water play area on the site of the old Swan ride.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""Adz""]Jazzland, as well as the Booster Bike for Gloomy Wood was simply a result of good photoshopping.

Other parts of Project Dolphin were treehouse playareas behind blackhole, additional iconic structures in the gardens, a towers street redevelopment and an extensive water play area on the site of the old Swan ride.[/quote]

For all their flaws, it certainly seems that the late Tussauds did at least have some ambition for Alton Towers, even if much of it was not achieved or lacking in creative potential.

:)