Alt-on Towers (What if?)

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
XIIIDom

Alternate history has always fascinated me...
Alton Towers has always amazed me...

Natural progression?

ALT-on towers!

What if Nemesis had never been made?
What if Charlie had never been built?
What if The Cross-valley wooden coaster dream became a reality?

post your best maps/memories/pics of the "period" here - (complete with explanation!)

I'll get the ball rolling...

link: [url=http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt16 ... owers1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt16 ... owers1.jpg[/url]
Jonny.F

Very interesting topic! I like thinking about what-ifs... :)

Well a major alternative to the park would have been the wooden roller coaster. Just think, we could have either had a pretty bland unoriginal Intamin accelerator or an incredible cross valley sensation:

I know what I would have chosen: the woodie (though I do like Rita). Just imagine the sensation of dropping 200 ft down into the trees and finding yourself fly back up. The speed would be incredible!

What would happen to the park if this had been built then? Well Rita would certainly not have been built meaning Ug Land would not have had such a cross theme through out. With the removal of corkscrew in 2008 would it had lead to a different development in it's place that wasn't Thirteen? It may have been the area would be completely rethemed. Would we have seen more woodies pop up around the country? Maybe, something like this could have swayed the public's view away from them being dangerous.

I can't really imagine much of an impact other than that. There haven't been any other MAJOR developments that would have been vastly affected by this happening.
Badgy

Well the posibilites are endless as the history of AT goes back a lot further than just the rides and attractions.

What if instead of adding attractions the towers would have renovated and it would have become another stately home and gardens attraction.

The major watershed for the park in the way of rides would have been corkscrew. That set the tone for the kind of additions that were to follow.

Not sure the addition of a Woodie would have swayed public perceptions of them. After all, Blackpool pleasure beach (which at the time of AT additons was the major park in britain) had 4 of them. They have always been perceived as "old fashioned" and the general public dont know that knew ones are being built.

I would like to have think that an Alt Towers might have become some mystical research centre as they always seem to find something strange and menacing when they do any kind of digging :)

Badgy
WANTED - Schroedingers Cat - Dead or Alive!
Blizzard

I wonder what it would have been like if they went anead with that "broomsticks over GL" thing. I mean, if they built that, there would be no rita. So if they got rid of corkie the, the area would be left empty. I wonder what they would`v done with that!

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
Mr P

If Tussauds didn't turn up and cancel that very strange triple lift-hill Swarzkopf Racer, we'd have no Nemesis, no Air. In fact, without Tussauds I reckon Alton would look very much like a seaside park lost in a forest.

:D
Blaze

If Tussauds hadn't bought the park, it would indeed probably be very much like a seaside park lost in a forest.

If Tussauds hadn't sold the park, it would probably be very much like a seaside park lost in a forest looking at the way it was going. :P
captain

Part of me would have preferred the Shwarzkopf. I know there would have been no Nemesis, but imagine a massive, entirely below tree-level Lisebergbanana. It would never have been as good, but I will always be curious.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
Clolossus

what if they got rid of oblivion instead of the black hole? what would we be looking at now in x sector... or would it even be x sector? who knows... would SW6 have been there and not TH13TEEN? would corky still be with us? and would we have some amazing new coaster? probably not but just imagine...
Nemesis will beat them all!

[img]http]
longy0151

what if alton towers had never been built, the actual towers themselves. What would we do with our lives
James

[quote=""longy0151""]what if alton towers had never been built, the actual towers themselves. What would we do with our lives[/quote]
Nothing because Alton Towers would cease to exist. :P Alton Towers was created by Charles and then later John Talbot in the 1800s. So if the Towers were never built then we wouldn't have Alton as it is today. :)

I quite like this topic, I'm forever thinking "what if" when I'm at Alton. Imagine if Tussauds were still in power. Could the Black Hole tent have a roller coaster in there now? Would SW6 have been later than 2010? Would the marketing be the same? Would Alton be even more in the gutter than it was in 2007?

Alton has a very wide history, so any little detail that may or may not have happened could have changed Alton drastically.

I sometimes wonder if Nemesis wasn't built we would have no "real" Secret Weapons, Alton would then have no appeal and be just a standard UK park.

Would any of us actually be enthusiasts of Alton Towers. None of us on here may have never known each other, met each other, talked to each other. Just because of one theme parks success there is such a strong fan base of the place and forums/sites such as TowersTimes. Without the success of Alton I probably wouldn't be writing this post right now. It's the little details in life that make up the overall past and future of your life.
longy0151

I can't think of life without alton towers. If Tussauds were still owning the park then we would have a park full of utter rubbish apart from nemesis, oblivion and air
jordanc44

What if we never had the strict height limit? What rides do you think we would have then? Personally, i think blivy would definitely be higher, we'd have some decent flats (think rush and slammer at thorpe), rita would resemble stealth somewhat and maybe the thunder looper ( or an updated version of it ) may still be with us.
2012- Alton Towers - 3 | Thorpe Park - 1 | Legoland - 1 | Chessington World of Adventures - 0 |
dominoes

What if the government in a desperate attempt to bring down obesity banned the building of the monorail and the skyride. I know it would never happen, but in the alternative history universe... :shock:
cheeky_becky

:shock: I can't imagine life without Nemesis... :lol: he he he!
sku11dude123

What if Charlie and the chocolate factory the ride wasn't made: The ride sucks. its dull and has no imagination. Wish they never built the ride.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

What if AT Actually took forward any of our awesome ideas?!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Adam James

[quote=""Stelios7""]What if AT Actually took forward any of our awesome ideas?![/quote]
Good joke there Stelios.. :P
dominoes

What if they never made Nemesis... :shock:
fredward

[quote=""sku11dude123""]What if Charlie and the chocolate factory the ride wasn't made: The ride sucks. its dull and has no imagination. Wish they never built the ride.[/quote]

You wish the ride was never built? The ride before Charlie (ToylandTours) whitch is most of the track and the building was extremely imaginative... Charlie was a retheme (if you would call it a re theme even though it has less themeing then its predecessor)

You could say you wish the ride was never rethemed... but saying never built is a li'l harsh :P
RustyRider

[quote=""jordanc44""]What if we never had the strict height limit? What rides do you think we would have then? Personally, i think blivy would definitely be higher, we'd have some decent flats (think rush and slammer at thorpe), rita would resemble stealth somewhat and maybe the thunder looper ( or an updated version of it ) may still be with us.[/quote]

if it wasnt for the height limit alton towers would just be your average theme park.

the tree line limits forced creativity just look at oblivion, if there was no limit there would be no hole, therefore making it lifeless like griffon and sheikra. same goes with nemesis it would be lifeless a bit like inferno at TP. :)
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.