Alton Towers' Best and Worst Adverts

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
sku11dude123

Best: Toyland tours Advert

Worst: CatCF advert
AshleeK

Alton Towers has always had good adverts, for as long as I can remember. The 1994 advert was the first memory I have of the park's existance, and whilst it was two years before I went there first it always stuck in my mind and made me want to go there. It was magical, yet spooky, and was something I found fascinating. The hotel advert was another great one, which I remember for going to the hotel soon after seeing it. Being somewhere that I had seen on TV, at that age, felt awesome.

Other favourites include Hex and Ug Land. I remember these ones playing on the TVs in the monorail queue, and seeing them now makes me all the more nostalgic. But it's not just the old adverts that are good; Th13teen's were the best theme park adverts in years. The newer resort ones are pretty good too, with their own unique magic feeling.

Adverts that I dislike? Hmm...Submissions was a bit odd, I suppose. I never saw the Rita one so I can't comment on that. And no doubt Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had an advert as awesome as the ride itself.
Slappy McGuire

Something I randomly discovered was how different the adverts are without sound (my galaxy s is playing funny buggers) and what I noticed is how good the 94 advert still is without sound at getting the point accross about what sort of place Alton towers is; if you watch the jelly ad without sound, it looks like one of those odd eastern european Claymation things citv used to be so fond of putting on for small kids in the eighties...
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

That should be a great marketing technique used today!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
ATJoseph

My favorite ads are the Hex one and the Ug Land one, as Ug lands arrival was the year i was born.
Interestingly the Hex advert must have been made after the first story/ pre show of Hex.

My least favorite are the jelly advert and the ripsaw advert!
Last edited by ATJoseph on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NastyPasty

The Jelly advert was good for the time. But not a patch on 1994.
I like the 2006 Resort advert (for some reason it just ticks with me). Th13teen trailers still send goosebumps down my spine (especially post-watershed - by the way, should it have been post-watershed? Nothing seems out of viewing to me). The Hex advert is subtle and intelligent, not unlike the ride itself.
I didn't even know there was a Ripsaw advert. Send a link ATJoseph?
The less said about the Submission advert, however, the better.
Keep on whistlin', folks.

ATJoseph

Oh okay i'll send the link of the advert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr5u6Uv2Dn4 its at 00:47
Ripsaw Raver

I remember a different Ripsaw advert, it was of the machine from a backwards view slightly to the left. and it showed the blade through a purpley orange sky then then showed the backward flips then the view into the fountains and ended with can you cut it....

My personal faves are obviosly Nemesis and Hex, i did like Oblivion but the one i miss and can only remember by memory was Energizer in 95 which i loved.

I remember seeing a Purple sky with lightning and the rides arms swinging in opesite directions followed by a terrified group of riders, and another shot of the gondolar dipping down and then electric/lightning flying from the electrodes on the ends of the arms and then...Energizer at AltonTowers...
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
LordSputnik

Best Ad: A Draw between the Ice Age 4D ad & the Nemesis Sub-Terra ad
I'm Just a dancing seal
What ya gonna do about that?
ThemeParkObsessive
Location: Probably on TH13TEEN, but if not, watching The Inbetweeners

IT HAS TO BE THE SUB-TERRA ADVERT!

I'll be uploading a SLOWED-DOWN video of the advert so you can anyilize it better.
http://www.facebook.com/UKThemeParkNews
http://www.youtube.com/ThemeParkObsessive

WARNING - I get angry if people say 'THE NEMESIS', 'THE AIR', 'THE OBLIVION', or 'THE RITA'. :@
MattH

I do like the two new adverts, but my fave will always be between the Air teasers/advert and the Hex advert, both really showed off what the rides entail overall.

Worst is again, Rita, it isnt getting much love isit? :P
Oblivion115

Gotta tie between air, oblivion and....ripsaw....just cos of the CAN YOU CUT IT?!?!?!?! At the end :P
Hex is cool too
Least favourite:
Rita mountain one
Submission
Bunbury

Ripsaw Raver wrote: I remember seeing a Purple sky with lightning and the rides arms swinging in opesite directions followed by a terrified group of riders, and another shot of the gondolar dipping down and then electric/lightning flying from the electrodes on the ends of the arms and then...Energizer at AltonTowers...
I think you might be mistaken, I'm afraid. Energizer never had a TV advert, all the 94 TV marketing was still focused on Nemesis.
Ripsaw Raver

yes but Energizer was 1995 and i promise you it had an advert for sure.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Graeme

What if Roland Mack had bought the park  :shock:
RITA = Flying fish for teens
JaykeAT

Graeme wrote: What if Roland Mack had bought the park  :shock:
wrong topic by any chance?
pluk

Ripsaw Raver wrote: yes but Energizer was 1995 and i promise you it had an advert for sure.
I think I remember this too, pretty sure it did exist.
Total Unique Ridecount
PeteMadden

TH13TEEN, and surprisingly the Air advert managed to capture the feeling of the ride completely.

The Rita advert was completely irrelevant, and Sub Terra was fairly brief and gave me the wrong idea on the ride.
LJ

What's the "jelly" advert? Personally my favourite ad was Hex and Nemesis 1994 , purely because it's awesome. My least favourites are Rita (The Mountain one) and Ug Land, because I don't like clay figures (other then Wallace and Gromit). CATCF was pretty bad as well