The Mysterious Stuff of Alton Towers

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
WillPS

Those cups are a mega find!
verfum

[quote=""WillPS""]Those cups are a mega find![/quote]

Tell me about it! It made our day in the park. My group had been threatening to better explore the gardens/walks for several years. On this visit the park was particularly quiet. We manged to 'do' all the major rides by lunchtime leaving the afternoon to don our Indiana Jones' hats and have a play.

One of the best resources to see really old maps of the park is:
[url=http://www.old-maps.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.old-maps.co.uk[/url]
If you enter the following into the 'COORDS' boxes you'll see 'Cuckoo Rock':
407731, 342974

On the right you can click to see maps from 1985, 1976, 1955, 1924, 1900, 1891.

---- Post Info Added ----
You kinda have been to the Cuckoo Arbour, but not quite. The Cuckoo Arbour, as I understand it would be almost 100ft directly above you on the cliff top. However I think you can safely say you have found the Cuckoo Rock, as I would imagine that is the cliff face which appears in your photos. (Though I've never seen a reference to a Cuckoo Rock before, only the Cuckoo Arbour and the Cuckoo Rook).
Thanks Squiggles for this info.

So does the Cuckoo Arbour still exist in any form? I've never seen a photo. The path above where we were (I guess where the Arbour should be situated) is actually at the end of a more accessible path not far from Rita.
Anyone got any photos down this path? :wink:
[url=http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 08.83,,0,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 08.83,,0,0[/url]
Squiggles

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Hmm, I guess. But it's hardly on the epic scale of nemy's ex-queue.

Thought: is there any trace left of the original rapids queue? Or was that all destroyed when Wardley worked his magic? :?[/quote]

There is some of the original rapids queue still lurking around the place. In fact I'll almost guarantee you've been on it at some point. The entrance to the Grand Canyon Rapids is more or less in the same place as the path to Katanga Canyon starts these days. Where Katanga Cabin now stands the queue took a bridge over the rapids (the same bridge could well have been relocated to the current rapids queueline, as it's of the same style). It then took a right-angle and over another bridge across the lift hill, which is the same bridge that now acts as the exit bridge.

In many ways it's what made the park great back during the 90s, where when possible the park would re-use existing features rather then flattening everything without thought.
Edwardo..... move me!
djtruefitt

There is a photo here showing most of the old queue line of the rapids from 1986. It looks very much empty and different to how the ride is now. It would be interesting to see a photo from the same location now to see the difference.
starbugger1303

I went down passed the Swiss Cottage a few weeks ago and found a Henry Hound cup which was in bad condition but you could see what it was! There is loads down there, we found an old coke can from about the 1990's and old McDonalds food boxes! :D
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Henry Hound Litter: Found some near BH Tent. On a cup torn a bit. Couldn't take a photo sorry as I was rushing to Blivvy' at 5:05 for a 20 Minute Queue with The Flume Still to do! Wind must of blown it away, unless some litter from some Riders on The Vintage Cars/Black Hole.

Jeep: Yeah, my parents do too, I felt like I had just had to correct the Man behind me that said Yesterday! But, I didn't. :L

Also, still saw the Aqualand Sign, do they use that Building Just for storage?!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
LordOfDarkness

-BUMP-

Found old Opal Fruits packets around the gardens?

And found my way into the Staff Area in the ruins, Full of dummies, Costumes, Old Que line fences etc.

Oh and found the old nemesis truck, Its in the staff area near coaster corner, Just go to the roof of the ruins and you can see it!
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
CoasterCrazyChris

I love this thread!

The park has so many lost and intriguing areas, which when you think about the size of Alton isn't really surprising.

I noticed in part of Air's queue line there is an undercover building - is this themed in any way?

:)
cybermen39

Hi just wondered if you you mean by the driving school as thats were they keep all the costumes and old signs ect
LordOfDarkness

I went into the ruins, Went up alot of stairs, Hopped a fence and bam I was there.

*THIS POST WAS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY*
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
CoasterCrazyChris

This video on YouTube shows what looks like a full walkthrough of the Duel exterior queue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksiCiUgf6Mg

:)
DrReeve

joshc807 wrote: When i went to Alton Towers i saw the old queueline for Nemesis it was full of moss and overgrown by trees, its ashame it doesnt get full anymore, but good at the same time. The Blackhole is probably the most mysterious thing at Alton Towers,
Rita 2005 wrote:The Black Hole also had the old indoor queueline that was closed off for many years before the ride's closure.
Why did it close?
the main reason i know is because it was a tent structure they couldnt install a fire escape
Image credit to Lewis97
Luviico

Talking of nemesis... The entrance to the queue line is set off to the right but I am certain that the first time I ever went on the ride I entered through an entrance to the left (where a staff worker now seems to stand, blocking the way) that part seems to be shut off now? I haven't been to AT for a few years and I only noticed this from a recent picture. When you talk about the abandoned queue line I always imagined it somewhere behind, did where I mention lead to this? As I remember it was a very long way around to get to the station the first time I went on. Is this part still in use today and only operates on busier days? .. Hope this post makes sense!  :lol:
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig
sweedish2009

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: This video on YouTube shows what looks like a full walkthrough of the Duel exterior queue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksiCiUgf6Mg

<!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
I've been meaning to find something like this for ages! Brings back memories of when I first visited Alton Towers in 1993 and I had to actually queue for The Haunted House!
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Boz

Luviico wrote: Talking of nemesis... The entrance to the queue line is set off to the right but I am certain that the first time I ever went on the ride I entered through an entrance to the left (where a staff worker now seems to stand, blocking the way) that part seems to be shut off now? I haven't been to AT for a few years and I only noticed this from a recent picture. When you talk about the abandoned queue line I always imagined it somewhere behind, did where I mention lead to this? As I remember it was a very long way around to get to the station the first time I went on. Is this part still in use today and only operates on busier days? .. Hope this post makes sense!  :lol:
What you're describing is the extended queue line, it is still used but only when it's busy. The abandoned queue line stretches off past the maintenance shed and under Air's lift hill.
Rollermad

You know you can see the sw7 site from the back area of the toilets between sonic and Xsector. (According to 2011) This may of been blocked off but if it hasn't it is probably a good place to see what is going on with sw7
Tom.B

I saw this YT video a couple of days ago, where they got into an extended queue line for nemesis. I don't think it was ever used, and they asked the staff if they'll let them go in!
Cookie Monster

is nemesis a mock of the exorcist cause at the start of that they find a thing that is a warning???? 
DrReeve

Tommo23 wrote: I saw this YT video a couple of days ago, where they got into an extended queue line for nemesis. I don't think it was ever used, and they asked the staff if they'll let them go in!
It was originally used when the ride first opened and still parts of it are used ( the bit near sub terra)
Image credit to Lewis97
GrapeWizard

In the gardens, on the path lower  than the conservatory, there is a huge willow tree and hidden behind it is a door shaped cave entrance.

When you enter the cave you can see two caverns splitting off, never been down them as they are pitch black!!!