The Mysterious Stuff of Alton Towers

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
djtruefitt

In the old black hole line outside it always get me how odd it looks now because you can still see the shop in the corner which im sure still has ice cream signs hanging up.

I wonder why that Aqualand sign hasnt been removed, its clearly visable when walking past it.
verfum

[quote=""djtruefitt""]
I wonder why that Aqualand sign hasnt been removed, its clearly visable when walking past it.[/quote]

The Aqualand sign is still there after 18 years since the area was re-themed; but why does the paintwork around it seem so fresh?
Khalichanan

[quote=""verfum""][quote=""djtruefitt""]
I wonder why that Aqualand sign hasnt been removed, its clearly visable when walking past it.[/quote]

The Aqualand sign is still there after 18 years since the area was re-themed; but why does the paintwork around it seem so fresh?[/quote]

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that's the Katanga Canyon themeing? If that's the bit you mean?
Jem8472

[quote=""mattbailey""]I have read a topic like this before! There is loads of interesting things around Alton, lots of throwbacks to the past... I'd love to have a closer look at Coaster Corner...[/quote]

I was sure I had some pics from the top of the flag tower looking at coaster corner, but I cant seem to find them, maybe I did not take any...

But this is one I have from I think what people refer to as coaster corner.

Mankey

The Black Hole queue line was awesome! :D

It saddens me so much knowing that we don't have a dark coaster there anymore! :(
Back from hibernation!
Lorenashley

[quote=""Jem8472""][quote=""mattbailey""]I have read a topic like this before! There is loads of interesting things around Alton, lots of throwbacks to the past... I'd love to have a closer look at Coaster Corner...[/quote]

I was sure I had some pics from the top of the flag tower looking at coaster corner, but I cant seem to find them, maybe I did not take any...

Image[/quote]

Ok, Iv visited AT countless times but I've never seen this tower, where about is it?
Mankey

I'm pretty sure you can see it from the road on the way in from stoke way! It's right on the edge of the park

[url=http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... 9&t=h&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... 9&t=h&z=18[/url]

Here it is on Wootton lane on the way in from Cheadle/Stoke way
[url=http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... 9,,2,-0.17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... 9,,2,-0.17[/url]

If you look on the very far right you can see a tower sticking out... it is that one!
Back from hibernation!
CoasterCrazyChris

Is that tower in coaster corner?

You see if they were clever they could use the building to their advantage (if allowed), by building an appropriate themed area around it. Instead of an all out clash like CCL against the towers - I will never understand why a brightly coloured childrens aera was built right next to the towers.

:)
Mankey

Um... Hex? No ride has made more use of the Towers! :P :wink:
Back from hibernation!
Jem8472

[quote=""Lorenashley""][quote=""Jem8472""][quote=""mattbailey""]I have read a topic like this before! There is loads of interesting things around Alton, lots of throwbacks to the past... I'd love to have a closer look at Coaster Corner...[/quote]

Image[/quote]

Ok, Iv visited AT countless times but I've never seen this tower, where about is it?[/quote]

It is a part of the park you can no longer get to. Was closed off a long time ago. It is out of a large gate near CCl.
Got to see it on the first behind the scenes tour. Was good, also go to climb up to the top. :D
Mankey

Another strange place I always think about is the valley behind the hotels! I've always wanted to go down there, but its always been late in the day or early in the morning when I just wanna get on park!

Anyone got any photos or anything from down there?
Back from hibernation!
Leighton123

That valley that you're talking about is the Woodland trail from the Hotels to the Park. It starts in the ATH garden, runs past Splash Landings hotel, and about halfway there is a green gate where you give in your tickets to access the park. It comes out just behind Blade. There's also some woodland trails between the gate and the hotels, leading off into the forest. Wouldn't recommend it in the rain, though :P
Enjoy today, look forward to tomorrow, remember yesterday.
Mankey

I know about the path! I'm on about the steps leading down off the path down deep into the valley! :D
Back from hibernation!
NF2

I know exactly the route you mean Mankey, and back in 07' I had an argument with some random kids during ERT as to which route lead into the park. I knew I was right, but they were convinced that the steps lead down into the park and wouldn't capitulate. I tried to be a nice person and point them in the right direction, but they were hell bent on being right.

"Sod em!" I decided, and they journied off into the unknown. What's actually down there? I have no idea, but I know who would have got to the park first :mrgreen:
Badgy

Dont they lead off down to Ina's Rock and Park Bank Crags which are situated within the Churnet Valley.

I remember once many moons ago (about 20 years or so) climbing on Ina's rock one winter and taking the wrong path back. We ended up coming out somewhere near corkscrew and then out through the main admin gates of the park. The odd thing was that I dont remember having to go through any gates or fencing to get there. So at that time either the park wasnt fully fenced off or part of it was missing.

I know that Park Bank Crags lies inside the grounds and is now unavailable for climbing, but I am sure that Ina's rock is still accessible as it's on a PROW.
WANTED - Schroedingers Cat - Dead or Alive!
Mankey

I've never heard of either Ina's Rock and Park Banks Crags...

Now I'm intrigued! Anyone got any photos?
Back from hibernation!
Badgy

If I remember rightly, and dont forget it was 20 years ago since I last visited.

As you drop down from Alton going towards AT on Farley Lane you cross the river on a bridge and start to climb. A short way up this is a gatehouse on the right. From here there is a track leading along the valley and past some kind of water works. Past this and up to the left in the trees is Park Bank Crags but these are out of bounds as they are within the park itself and are guarded by fencing and cameras. From looking a a google sattelite image they are directly south of the car park bounded by Air on the left and the golfcourse on the right.

Further to the East of this and past the hotel complex is Ina's Rock. According to UKClimbing.com there are no access issues on this crag and it does contain one of the best E5s in the country (oh to be 20 years younger :) ) .

Pictures of Ina's can be foound here [url=http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=124530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=124530[/url] but I am not sure how well they show up for non-registered users (maybe only thumbnails).

Or video here [url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

I am sure there is more out there to find
WANTED - Schroedingers Cat - Dead or Alive!
gaz1313

Can I ask quickly
Where exactly is the old Aqualan sign, because I dont know if I even remember that KC themeing!
Mankey

Just after the bridge in the River Rapids queue, there's a hut on a pathway that is behind a fence.

It's on that!
Back from hibernation!
aru

[quote=""Mankey""]Image

The Black Hole queue line was awesome! :D

It saddens me so much knowing that we don't have a dark coaster there anymore! :([/quote]

Isn't that the old Space Invaders queue at Blackpool?