Worst non coaster ride closure this decade...

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.

The worst ride removal since 2000 has been...

Poll runs till Sat Jul 13, 2047 9:53 pm

Park Railway
8%
Dynamo
17%
Bone Shaker
20%
Swan Boats
8%
3D Cinema
3%
Vintage Car Ride
1%
Toyland Tours
43%

Total votes: 157
AstroDan

Which ride removal for you has been the worst decision this decade? Is it the iconic "Swan Boats"? One of the classic flat rides "Dynamo" or "Bone Shaker? Or the 1994 classic dark ride "Toyland Tours". Or maybe it's the railway, "3D Cinema" or even the "Vintage Cars"...

Thoughts? Personally my thoughts are with Toyland Tours... It was magical, had a brilliant score and never got boring. Plus, it was replaced by a worse dark ride.
Jakob

Would deffinately have to be Toyland Tours! It was what the "Magic" was all about I think. I loved it, and I know that many others did too. It was such a shame when it left, and especially to (I think) a lesser ride..

CATCF hasn't isn't a patch on Toyland Tours! :evil: The money should have been spent on updating the Tours in my opinion, well, some of the money. :D
Quickey

I am going to say dynamo. I loved that ride, and I didn’t really see the point in its removal. The only thing that has replaced it are P2P attractions, which could have gone anywhere ells in the park
Kaycee

Toyland Tours. That ride epitomised the magic for me, it was very 'Alton Towers', and it had such brilliant music. I genuinely loved that ride and can't believe Charlie replaced it. :( It was fantastic for kids and totally unforgettable.

Second place is Dynamo, just a classic flat ride that is sorely missed, especially considering nothing of worth has ever been put in its last place in Forbidden Valley, and then in third place for me is the Swans - I never rode them (just like I never rode Splash Karts), but they were an intrinsic part of the view and scenery that it was just... wrong to remove them.
AstroDan

[quote=""Kaycee""]
Second place is Dynamo, just a classic flat ride that is sorely missed, especially considering nothing of worth has ever been put in its last place in Forbidden Valley, and then in third place for me is the Swans - I never rode them (just like I never rode Splash Karts), but they were an intrinsic part of the view and scenery that it was just... wrong to remove them.
[/quote]

I'll second that! I miss Dynamo so much, I really do wish we still had it with us... I would even go so far as to say they should buy a new one. They can't be that dear, and it beats the Lava Lump any day...

[-X
Squiggles

My gut reaction was Boneshaker, due to it's rather unique nature... while Dynamo was a excellent ride, it wasn't exactly the most unique spin and spew experiance in the wrold.

However when the list appeared I had to vote Toyland Tours, because while the ride closed at the right time, its replacement was so rediculously underwhelming. I realised today looking at the plans today that four Toyland Tours scenes were swallowed up by the black corridor that is the nut room... such an amazing waste of potential.
Edwardo..... move me!
DiogoJ42

Dynamo for me.
I always loved Breakdancers, ever since I first went on Rodeo at CWoA. The only one I know of in the UK now is on Blackpool's South Pier.
CoasterCrazyChris

I never went on it, but I know their biggest mistake was removing TT. Looking at some of the videos it looks really magical, logo did look a bit tacky and when you saw it on the map you thought "that looks really tacky and babyish, why would you want to go on that unless you were 5?" but actually i'm sure it wasn't the case; it was great for the whole family and just needed a tidy up. But, yes, admittedly it was a little outdated, and we did need a new state-of-the-art dark ride with great new features and effects to take us into the 21st century. But did Charlie really achieve this?
towers freak

I agree with most of the people. It was a mistake to change TT into catcf. It was an imaginative and original idea that no other park had. catcf is copying a story invented by the fantastic roal darl and not AT. Any park could have made a ride based on another person’s ideas but it takes a special park to come up with their own. Yes TT was getting outdated but they needed to come up with their own ideas. I would have preferred a ride based on Sir Algernon than catcf. They spent more money on rights than the ride its self money that could have been used for something else.
Vanessa Feltz

I really have to say toyland tours, It was just the magic to Alton Towers for kids.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
oldgitBEN

boneshaker, it was a brilliant ride - i loved that ride and it was treated so badly after complimenting oblivion so brilliantly, and on a great setting.

It was re-located for submission, which is a much poorer ride, re-hashed into the boneshaker and toned down massivley in ride sequence then left SBNO but fenced off in Ug Land, which drove me mad.

I miss Toyland Tours too but Charlie has grown on me and has abit more universal appeal due to it being a commercial / well known story. But given the choice I personally would prefer TT - but Boneshaker is the top of my tree.
Nick

Dynamo!!! Only knew it as Dynamo, never saw it as any of the rest, but loved it!!
Rowe

Dynamo, Boneshaker, Toyland Tours... aah so hard to decide. I miss them all :cry:
sammie04

I would definately have to say Toyland Tours, it was a ride I used to look forward to riding all day when I was younger. It was just exciting and there was always a distinct smell in there which I loved was always magical to me :lol: .

Boneshaker and Dynamo come close at second though :) .
Bolton Warrior

Dynamo, loved that ride for all the time Alton had it, the only flat at Alton that has compared to Dynamo was Gravitron, hands up if you can remember that? :lol:

Toyland and Swan boats are a sad loss as well imo.
DiogoJ42

[quote=""coastergraham""]Dynamo, loved that ride for all the time Alton had it, the only flat at Alton that has compared to Dynamo was Gravitron, hands up if you can remember that? :lol:

Toyland and Swan boats are a sad loss as well imo.[/quote]

Didn't Gravitron move to Pleasurewood Hills? They have one there and I'm pretty sure its been relocated from AT.
Khanage

According to TT it was moved to Pleasure Island Family Theme Park.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Bolton Warrior

[quote=""rawandpeace""]According to TT it was moved to Pleasure Island Family Theme Park.[/quote]
It was actually at Flamingoland for a short period of time before it went to Pleasure Island if memory serves me right.

I am sure I went on it at Mingo once before they moved it to Pleasure Island.
TurboJ

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and go with Toyland Tours. It kinda reminds me of Small World at Disney; it looks really childish but is actually quite entertaining for the family. Plus they both have horrendously catchy tunes.

My second choice would have been the Park Railway, since I'm a railfan. Build a new one somewhere else in the park. Somewhere the Skyride doesn't go.
Cobra_Roll

Awesome to see you on TTF TurboJ!

Hope you have a fantastic time here!

Unlike may of us, Im torn between 2 rides. The Haunted House and Toyland Tours (Although mainly TLT).

An utterly fantastic ride which was replaced with something far more inferior. This may not have been the case had they spent more cash on the ride as opposed to the licensing... 8-[
<3-roll. Geddit?