Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Corkscrewed

[quote=""Sir John Talbot""]YAY! Byeee! Hunk of junk :D.

I would cry and say R.I.P and stuff but, essentially, it's some steel...[/quote]

Rust in Pieces maybe? :P
NemmieAddict

Riding on last day and on 23rd Oct. Any tips on getting to front row?? Never been on front row on corkie...
_

Shame it's going, even though its painful!
Hark

Wow, what can I say - I'm quite sad to see it go. Yes it's a rough ride and does kill you, but I'm going to miss it? It's been a rollercoaster that recently has hardly pulled large queues and yet even so people still love it.

I'm actually going to miss it - It was a quick ride that I did after or before Rita and It is a real shame. I do want to look to the future of what could be next, it looks like the labelling of the trees and the removal of corkscrew show something big coming soon, I'm quite excited :D
NickT04

I've only ridden it twice but I will still be sad to see it go! That said though, we maybe be getting a new modern exciting rollercoaster and area - and for that I can't wait!

Will definately be going on the 9th November!
badger

My Uncle took me to Alton towers in the May 1980, just after Corkscrew was opened to the public. It was my first ever roller coaster, and I thought that it was terrifying. Sadly, as some of you know, my Uncle died at the beginning of this year. Strangely Corky epitomized my uncle, fun and exciting. Oh gosh I'm going to get all tearful again. I miss my Uncle terribly so I will defiantly be there on the 9th of November.
:cry:
kingcriplet

[quote=""coastergraham""]Taken from the BPB guide

BRITAIN TO BID FAREWELL TO THE NATION’S MOST ICONIC ROLLERCOASTER

Russell Barnes, Divisional Director for the Alton Towers Resort said:
“The Corkscrew has played a key part in the heritage of the Alton Towers Resort, and I am sure millions of our guests will look back with fond memories of the first time they were inverted upside down twice within 3 seconds! We are extremely proud to have hosted Europe’s first double helix rollercoaster, but it is now the right time to say goodbye to the attraction as we look forward to continuing to pioneer fantastic family entertainment of the future”.
[/quote]

I'm a little suprised that the highlighted part has not been discussed more - does this mean we are getting more of a familly ride than a proper thrill ride?
AstroDan

I can see a family-thrill coaster being introduced for the 2010 season. Don't look at the quote as the be all and end all - they are on a family push at the moment and that doesn't mean in 2010 Corkscrew will be replaced by a Carousel.
Quickey

I have always been pro removal of Corkscrew to make way for new additions, but now the park have announced it and have made a web page and good bye event, I am actually quite sad. :(

Oh well. I will miss it, but can’t wait to see what happens next year to the site it sits on.
Dara

I'd say almost certainly yes.
Ug Land has always been a family area (as was Festival Park before) Rita is the only ride which has deviated from Ug's family image, and to be honest, its installation and planning were very rushed and some may say that they weren't fully thought through.
Another thrill ride in Ug land would suprise me
kingcriplet

The woody that was talked about in future forum would certainly be made most welcome :D
Nathan

About the time heap of crap was removed.

Sure, it's a bit sad to hear that an iconic structure is to be removed from Alton Towers after an astonishing 28 years but I'm sure the replacement ride will compensate this loss.
Crazy"Alton"F

Tbh Nemesis oblivion rita and air... NO THE 9th of november for will Be A Full Corkscrew riding day!

Im Really guttedd to see it leave.. The only good thing is the corkscrews might be staying as rememberance :(
Magical Ryan

I just consider the day time to get on Nemesis quickly :D
AstroDan

I have just been speaking to the BBC (Midlands Today) about covering this. I hope they do!

:)
Vik

Be sad to see it go, mainly because of nostalgia reasons, and probably not much else.

Can't stand in the way of progress though. I do hope that what will eventually take it's place is some mundane 'family attraction' (family in Alton Towers' book seems to be anyone under 8). The last bit of Russell Barnes' statement read
We look forward to continuing to pioneer fantastic family entertainment of the future
. No Gurgle coaster please, or whatever it was. :P

It's replacement needs to be something special, which gets people talking about Alton Towers. Like Oblivion and Nemesis did,and of course like Corkscrew did in the early 80's. I still remember everyone in primary school raving about Corkscrew. I never got to ride it until 1993, and it was looking a bit past it then.

Good to see there is an event, and also AP holders get usual free entry benefits. Hopefully a nice group photo under the Corkscrews could be a possibility.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

stigzy

Bad, bad, baaaaaad times! I choose not to believe any of this is true. I like Alton Towers I really do, but if harmless little Corkscrew is not sitting in its humble warm little home up in Ug Land come 2009 - I am walking straight outta there and leaving my annual pass behind!
AstroDan

[quote=""stigzy""]Bad, bad, baaaaaad times! I choose not to believe any of this is true. I like Alton Towers I really do, but if harmless little Corkscrew is not sitting in its humble warm little home up in Ug Land come 2009 - I am walking straight outta there and leaving my annual pass behind![/quote]

You do that boy, you do that.

:P
Stacey

I wonder how long the queues for Corkscrew will be on the 9th? Probably the longest they've been for years!
formula1fan

^Probably.
It's a shame that the ride which put Alton Towers on the map is now going to leave the park. I sincerely hope that they keep the corkscrews as a monument to Corkie somewhere, and that its replacement will be equally as good, if not even better. I really want to go and ride Corkie for one last time, but it isn't that easy, because I live six hours away!
RIP Corkie.
You will always be remembered in the hearts and minds of your fans.
Gone (well, not gone yet!) but not forgotten.
I certainly won't forget Corkie!
AstroDan

Goodbye, lift noise. Goodbye panoramic view from the top.

:)