Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Anonymous

Twas a good ride indeed, i never went on it myself due to stories of shoulder and neck bruising lol, but im sure that knowing rollercoasters these days there is bound to be something 50 times better in it's place, let's just pray it is better and worth knocking down the corkscrew, great ride, will be missed lol
Charlie.x.
Tranceptor2K9

[quote=""Big Dave""]I want the control panel. Dont care if it no longer does anything, I just want to pretend lol[/quote]

The control panel would be a sweet thing to have...although it is not looking its best and is covered in post it notes hahaha
corkscrewcar

It has taken a while, just recieved today the prize for the Corkscrew competition. As promised have added a picture and one of the car and wheels, which are in the garage for the time being.

stigzy

Wow, thanks a bunch! Its kind of strange the shell of the car like that, knowing that just this time last year I was probably sat in that very seat. Great pictures and nice to see it go to a loving home.
Joe Koopa

How much did you get the car for? :D
corkscrewcar

£7200 for the car.

We had a separate arrangement with Alton Towers for the wheels / chassis.
Rita 2005

I noticed that in the third picture of the car chasis, it still has the steel Crossing Plate attached, unless the design of the cars has changed in the last couple of years that means that the chasis is from Car 6 and not the Front Car !.
corkscrewcar

You are right the chassis is from the last car. We had a choice. The problem with the chassis from the front car, is it only has the front set of wheels. The back set is actually the front set from the second car, etc. etc. Have a look at a picture of the complete train, there is only one set of wheels between each car. The only car with wheels at both ends is the rear one. Other than that the chassis is identical, any car will fit in any position. Well spotted. We actually intend to mount the car complete on its chassis on a small piece of track. Obviously to do this the actual chassis from the front car was not suitable.
80schild

TBH I was expecting the prize to be a cross-section of a track tube, I wonder what's happened to it all?
Johno

Sold as scrap
Vik

They've kept the corkscrews of course :D .

Overheard some children today, whilst walking through Forbidden Valley telling their mum they want to go on corkscrew. Her reply was, you can't it's closed today, you can go on it when we come again in the summer.

Think they are in for a shock. :(
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

DomB

Aww..

Poor them, still, it'd be quite funny to see their faces.
They should read the news.
80schild

Anyone got any pics of the site? (yes I've seen the Towers Heritage vid).
NickT04

Couldn't get anywhere near the site to take pictures when I went last Saturday.
corkscrewcar

This makes paying so much for the Corkscrew car a real bargain.

Just sold on e bay a bag of sweets for £14500

Well makes me feel better anyway !

[url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0310202604" target="_blank]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0310202604[/url]

Saw the Corkscrew site empty at the beginning of January, when we did an all night ghost hunt in the towers. Was able to go and have a look but it was too dark to take any pictures. Most of the track had gone, just a few bits and some of the supports left at that time.
A5H

[quote=""Vik""]They've kept the corkscrews of course :D .

Overheard some children today, whilst walking through Forbidden Valley telling their mum they want to go on corkscrew. Her reply was, you can't it's closed today, you can go on it when we come again in the summer.

Think they are in for a shock. :([/quote]

HAHAHA :P :P
Will be so funny to see :)
Joe Koopa

Hopefully they'll be wise & buy a park-map, or be stupid & join Towers Times. :lol:
Corkscrewed

[quote=""Koopa-Troopa""]Hopefully they'll be wise & buy a park-map, or be stupid & join Towers Times. :lol: [/quote]

Yeeeeeeeah we appear to only of been getting morons sign up on here since early November.... :P

I'm kidding, you're all wonderful really =]
Joe Koopa

Make that early March! :P :wink:

I'm kidding
Tom M

I agree with the previous 2 posts. ;)

:P