Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
towers freak

Today has been a day i will never forget. Its really hit home that she wont be there next season. Corky hasn't been so rough today to be fair i guess she wanted to give us the best ride we have had on her. Thanks to stu for using his pass so i could have another go.
Thanks Corky for an amazing 28 years of service.
She shall be missed.
Ollie

[quote=""Vik""]Yes, I think you were, we got back on via the priority pass entrance, and no doubt pinched your front row seat as a result :shock:[/quote]

Yeeeeeh. Damn you Priority Pass Holders!

:evil: :P
Rob L

It was nice to see Corky getting so much attention today, and it was on top form, my first ride on it today was surprisingly smooth. It's going to be a bit strange next year without it there, and I didn't think I'd say this but I think I'm going to miss it. It has to go though for SW6 which will hopefully be an impressive replacement. :)

Kelly

My last ride, which was near the front, was probably the smoothest ride i've had on Corkscrew, which was very odd, but a nice way to end it.

Must admit, I got a bit sad as I walked back to Towers Street alone, the park was practically empty, and all I could hear was the 'Whirr' of Corkscrew. :( Glad I went today, was a true experience that I won't forget. I love my poster and certificate, along with the ORP I bought, shall bring back good memories in years to come. :)
NickT04

Oh by the way, just remembered! Whilst in the restricted ride area I recorded the classic noise of the lift hill, I'll get it online next few days and sent it to people if they want it? It's not mp3 standard but it's good enough nonetheless!
NF2

I was just watching Top gear earlier this evening when suddenly it dawned on me, Corkscrew will never operate again, which when you say it like that is really quite upsetting. We all knew it was going, however not until tonight has it really dawned upon me the significance of it all :(

Whilst some of us will probably miss the ride experience, I for one see it as a huge turning point for the park with SW6, and unless Barnes is trying to dupe us it should be spectacular and a worthy replacement for such a classic ride. i am just lucky enough to live near (well, about 100 minutes!) to Flamingoland where I can relive the rides magic on their identical model.

Once Mingoland's throws in the towell, it will be a sad day for me, but before then I can sleep easy knowing that iconic whirr is only a short-ish drive away :D
Satch

It's a little sad, but I am still glad it's gone. Yes it was my first roller coaster, and yes, it's been iconic at the park for 28 years, so all sentimentality for that.

But todays ride was awful. I banged my knee, my jaw and my neck, and came off in a lot of unwanted pain. So farewell you rust bucket. May you rust in peace!

Bring on 2010!
AstroDan

Bloody Weakling.
:P
jonathan leake

Did she get much media coverage today. Is it going to be on the news
AstroDan

It already has been, and no doubt will be again on Breakfast tomorrow.

:D
Altonator

Will anyone be able to get pics of Corkscrew being taken down or will Alton Towers publish some pics for us.
For anyone who lives near AT is it possible to see much of Ug Land from the area to the left of Corkscrew (when looking from Ug Swinger) outside the park perimter fence if so could someone get some pics when Corkscrew is being taken down?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Brett

im gonna miss it but i found it qwite annoing that the final ride was treated as any other ride i was waiting 30 mins to film it i got it and it just looked so normal it was nothing special which i was hoping for i have a vid of the final rede on youtube i will post the link as soon as it is processed
Ollie

[quote=""Brett""]im gonna miss it but i found it qwite annoing that the final ride was treated as any other ride i was waiting 30 mins to film it i got it and it just looked so normal it was nothing special which i was hoping for i have a vid of the final rede on youtube i will post the link as soon as it is processed[/quote]

What did you expect?!

The Car to fly off the track to the moon?

:P

Thanks for uploading the Video though, when you get round to it :D
I shall watch with pleasure!
Brett

ah that was qwick there it is
[url=" target="_blank][/url]
Ollie

Why is the Train empty?

:?
Wes

Because no one is on it.
LiamSAFC

*The hymn 'Abide with Me' sings in the background, as Corkscrew memories come rushing back...*

and then I think, it's lasted too long!

All fairness, Corkscrew is an average experience in at the moment, still an average park. Today sees the dawn of a new era for a "little more than average park". Today sees the change of a 21st century Alton Towers which for the first time in many years will now see (hopefully) a well themed World Class coaster, whether your interpretations see it as 4 years ago to 10 years ago. This marks the beginning of a brand spanking new Towers, not phased with the experience of 2 drab areas that have lost their way in recent years and so I bid thee farewell to the one that served us well for the past 28 years.

Corkscrew: God rust your infamously hideous cars to your horriffic rusty track. May god have mercy on your soul. :D
John

[quote=""Ollie""]Why is the Train empty?[/quote]
If they were running 2 trains they might have to send 1 round empty to so the other one can get back to the station to let everyone off.

[quote=""LiamSAFC""]Corkscrew: God rust your infamously hideous cars to your horriffic rusty track. May god have mercy on your soul.[/quote]
To be fair, corkscrews trains are significantly less awful than intamin trains *shudders*
Ash84

Kelly! Thats me behind you and Zippy lol,

Ash
Wiggler

[quote=""Brett""]ah that was qwick there it is
[url=" target="_blank][/url][/quote]

hmmm... towards the end of that video you cn see me walking in the rita queue line as i was going on rita lol!! BUT.. after the train in that video, more trains went round, including one with a bloke with a camera filming from front row...