Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Big Dave

I reallllly want the larger version of the photo on the Alton Towers corkscrew page. It shows the station and lift under construction.
Jonathan

[quote=""AstroDan""]Alton Towers have revealed the special day in a fantastic classic 1980's style leaflet!

Click here to find out more!

Should be a great day!

:D[/quote]
Great leaflet! Some "design" studios I know are still putting out stuff like that as cutting edge! Anyway. How did you come across this pdf, Dan? I am still concerned that when I get to AT on Sunday that they will have no record of my online booking due to it failing - were you emailed that pdf?

Jonathan
Big Dave

Ok quick question here, but thought has its corkscrew event related Id post here. Im going up on the Saturday and staying in the hotel. My brother wants to join me on the saturday as well. Can he come through the main part turnstiles on Saturday or is it Hotel only???
BULBOUS

It's hotels and Annual Pass.

If you have an AP (which I'm guessing you do), could you not enter using that and buy a ticket on behalf of him at the turnstyles? Or just buy two tickets anyway?
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
Big Dave

He will be using my sisters Merlin Staff Pass
BULBOUS

Oh. Still, you can pretend he's staying in the hotel with you, can't you?
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
Big Dave

yh

[TTF Team: Dave, is this meant to be a post? Posts should be informative, useful or opinionated, not two letters! :P I think you mean 'Yes.' or 'Yeah.' Or maybe nothing at all. Please remember text language is not permitted on the forum, we like posts to look nice and tidy... :)]
jonathan leake

I wonder if they will have special souvinors for the day like they have done of the 10 Years of oblivion. Also iv just found out i cant go well everyone who is going i wish a fantastic time. I only ever rode it once. I was really hopeing to go wiv my dad as he last went on the corkscrew 2 weeks after it opened. Infact that was the last time he ever went to Alton Towers.
Jon

They might have some on a limited scale if they have been super organised. This hasn't really been confirmed for a long time, unlike Oblivion - they had ten years to know when it's tenth would be! :D
Formerly "Dagoo"
Kaycee

I'm pretty sure there's going to be some special souvenirs. :)

I'm excited about going back up into the Towers Suite to look at the Hall of Memories! Partly to look at the memories, and partly because there's a bee-yoo-tiful picture of the Towers up there that I want in my living room... :P

God, it is going to be a sad day. The more I think about it drawing nearer, the more it hits me that Corkscrew and its lift hil whine isn't going to be there anymore. :( I may not always bother to queue up for it, but it's vintage Alton Towers, part of the scenery, it's always been there... gosh, I am a little sad about it. :( :lol: I wonder if we'll see people in tears!? I know if Nemesis left, I'd bawl my eyes out on its last day!! To some people, Corkscrew is their Nemesis!!

EDIT: I BET someone chains themself to the ride. :P
towers freak

[quote=""Kaycee""]EDIT: I BET someone chains themself to the ride. :P[/quote]

Someone all ready did it a few days ago kaycee.
The articles here if you want to read it.
[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html" target="_blank]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html[/url]

I don't know if it was real or a stunt by AT themselves.
Kaycee

Hehe yeah I knew they did it a few days ago, but I still reckon someone will try it on Sunday. :P
Ant

Stunt 99.2% Certain!

Gets me Handcuffs out with Red fury bits add abit of Edge to the protest one thinks (Bit of press coverage wont hurt 8) ) :| ! Aye It will be abit like that Fathers 4 Justice, Except Screwing 4 Justice!. :P.

I havnt said yet, But im seriously going to miss Corky. I have always enjoyed it never found it in the slightest bit rough, maybe it's because im small I dont know. If you really want it rough try Space Mountain at DL that ride is just unberable (Shudders) :shock:. But yes it's times up for me!

The biggest loss as everyone has said is... Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Which could be heard from basically any location at Towers depending on the wind direction!

It's going to be a great event, well anything that lets me get ontop of Towers Streets all good :D !.
Last edited by Ant on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave

All we have to do is kept stigzy away from it :P
Luce

I wish I could go to this event as it'd be nice to celebrate Corky's send off but I'm going to Thorpe Blast!

Although I do have a ORP from last month when I went to Scarefest :D
Jonathan

I wonder if, in some way, they could incorporate into the park somewhere a sound recording of the famous noise Corky makes - or maybe into the theming of the new ride that will eventually go where Corky currently stands proud.

Also, I can sense a Corky ringtone may be on the horizon!

Weather not looking too good for Sunday :x
barryzola

[quote=""Kaycee""]

I'm excited about going back up into the Towers Suite to look at the Hall of Memories! Partly to look at the memories, and partly because there's a bee-yoo-tiful picture of the Towers up there that I want in my living room... :P

[/quote]

How come you're going to be going up to the towers suite? Are they letting everyone have free reign for the day? :)
Kaycee

I'm so glad I can say 'yes' to that question! :| Aye Barry, look here at this lovely PDF Towers have provided. :D At the bottom right, it says about the Hall of Memories in the Towers Suite.

Should be interesting if they've been digging around in the Archive... :D
Khanage

"He came in, went straight up to the Corkscrew and chained himself to it. There weren't many people around because he had an annual pass to the park that allowed him in earlier than other guests."
Brilliant! Not a publicity stunt at all!

Kudos to the towers though, they really are milking this!
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Lauren

I think the idea of the entertainment from 28 years ago is fantastic, at least she's goin out with a bang :) Going to miss the whirrr too Ant!