Harness Failure?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
buggy

[quote=""Ecco""]Ok, So here are the only VERIFIED accidents that have happened at Alton Towers according to the Database where I got my information (officail sources confirm any of this) And you'll be pleased to know that not ONE of them is due to ride failure, more to Stupidity!
An Air ambulance was called to Nemesis, it wa'snt clear why but they stopped the ride. It's beleived it was merely someone who needed an ambulance and completely unrelated to the ride.
Then on the 30th of May a young man stepped into a restricted area on nemesis and was struck by a car travelling at station speed! And that's it. There have been other accidents but not to do with the rides, well not as such. For example, a couple of idiots threw some coins into a car of Nemesis when it was at high speeds and cut a womans face, another one is that (probably the same idiots had it been the same day) threw stone at the people on Air when it did the "corkscrew" part of the track. Another woman is currently trying to sue Alton Towers because she say when the AIr brakes stopped on Black Hole her restraint bar was'nt locked and shot her to the front of the carriage breaking her ribs! Hmmm.... so, Alton Towers 1 - Liars trying to make money - NIL![/quote]

Something similar to that happened at pleasureland, southport on truamatizer, the train was pulling into the station when a ride op was walking up the stairs at the end of the station and was hit by the train. He landed on the floor of the station and you could see him while going by on the train. Was pretty funny when we found out he was ok. And on the subject of harness failure, while i was on the ride at that time, we got into the station and my harness wouldnt open, probably because i had it in too tight, well it took about 5 mins to get it open again, not very serious. Last time i was there i seen that the stairs arent there anymore :P
duncjam2

ouch. Getting hit by a ride must really hurt.
http://www.somecoasters.com/main/coaste ... ivion8.JPG

steaminbeaver - go to www.freewebs.co.uk/steaminbeaver and click on Games to down load my new Powerpoint adventure:

The Adventures of Harvey the Cheese Und das Meerschweinchen
madmanwill

and there was that coaster where an op was jumping the track in the station and felll through
duncjam2

Bugger! How long was the drop underneath!?
http://www.somecoasters.com/main/coaste ... ivion8.JPG

steaminbeaver - go to www.freewebs.co.uk/steaminbeaver and click on Games to down load my new Powerpoint adventure:

The Adventures of Harvey the Cheese Und das Meerschweinchen
madmanwill

cant remember i think it was one of the coasters at flamingo land.

name i dont know... anyone???
Martin1

Magnum force he needed the loo and he fell through.
madmanwill

was it fatal?? my memory is really bad today
Anonymous

Didn't Corkscrew get stuck in the inversions once? Though that has nothing to do with restraints.
Vik

corkscrew has stalled a couple of times on the inversions, not sure if its 3 or 3 times. First time was back in the 80's, and then again late 90's when something got caught in the wheels causing the train to loose momentum, therefore fail to complete the inversion.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

fontdude

I've never heard of one at Alton Towers, but whilst at DLP, i was on space mountain, and just before the train is shot upwatds, all of the shoulder harnesses opened, but the ride automatically stopped (thank god!!)
2005 trips: 8th April (Best visit... ever!)
1st June (Even better...Nemesis 7 times!)
Anonymous

I went on air when it opened and my restraint opened when i was on it and i flew to the ground, luckly i fell into a tree so i bounced off it and landed back in the queue for another go :D

*coughs* before people come down on me like a ton of bricks...im messin :wink:
Luke excell

I have a funny memorie onthe congo river rapids i was on it 2-3 years ago and i was getting off the boat

my family got off then i got off but when i got out i notced a pull as i went to walk away the oprator told me to move then i saw and said to him i had my shoe lace stuck in between the rotation station and the boat so there i was slowly walking (hoping) to the nef of the plateform so bravely i took a risk and took of my £45.00 shoe and the oprator yanked it out and damaed the lase and belive me i was not happy from the second my shoe was cault in the thingy it was bout 10 seconds before the shoe was retreved and we were not near the end of the station

!!!!!!!!!!!!!No shoes were badly hurt during the accident thingy with the shoe it had to go to the shoe hospital (hotel room) and the lase was replaced and the shoe mangaed to pull threw alive thank you............ooo yeah and did i say but my soks got soaked!!!!!!!!!!!
ashayling

i was in the seat with 2 belts on nemmie but i aint fat. i asked the ride op why it had two belts and he said it was the american seat. lol :D :D
dafyd

[quote=""ashayling""]i was in the seat with 2 belts on nemmie but i aint fat. i asked the ride op why it had two belts and he said it was the american seat. lol :D :D[/quote]I had that seat- it's very useful for me, because I'm not particularly small... I found it by accident, though. Are there "fat seats" on all the rides...?
Anonymous

if anyone reads this i was on spinball whizzer with my mates and i item of clothing got trapped underneath and stopped automatically. lets just say i felt a prat coz i screamed for no reason :oops:
mattarv

Where are the fat seats on the nemesis train?
ashayling

i think its second seat in on the second row back can a member of staff please clarify
Kraken

The "fat seat" on each Nemesis train is the 3rd seat accross from the onload side on row 4.
ashayling

thanks for that wasnt too sure
Andrew

I don't know if any of you will beleive this, I am sort of in denyal about it myself, but last time I went on Nemesis on Thursday - I'm positive my restraint wasn't closed.

I am fat - but had ridden earlier in the day with no problems (and have ridden Neme a million times before) - but on Thursday afternoon, I was sat maybe 2 or 3 rows back on the exit side. I pulled my restraint down, but it didn't click and kept springing back up (yes, I am fat) - I pulled it down and clipped the belt in anyway and expected a ride op to come and see to me when the train presumably wouldn't go because the computer realises my restraint is open. Not at all - the train was despatched and i was bricking myself - I was sure it wasn't locked but there was nothing I could do about it. Luckily, it seemed to click in with the G-Forces around the long downward corner after the first corkscrew - but it did scare me.

I'm not sure I beleive it happened myself - I hope it was my imagination it wasn'tlocked, but if it genuinely wasn't then how long can it be before an accident happens? Can the train be dispatched with restraints open? Aren't there sensors in place?!