Gloomy Wood...

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
samurai

I think it's about time something big happened in the Gloomy Wood area of the park. Duel doesn't really cut the mustard anymore, and is the only ride in the whole area. Maybe either a new coaster (do we need another one so soon after Rita?!) or a simulator style ride - not just one of those dodgy ones like on RCT but a proper full-sized 'adventure' type one - where you sit in rows of seats in front of a massive screen.

I haven't been on one of those in years!

also, as I said in the Rita thread, I think 2006 could see Ug Land re-branded to 'Thunder Rock' - this could also pave the way for a new ride in that area.
Jay12

Right gloomy wood doesn't need changing at all its a eary place and its good to be on its own hidden away. The ride its self yes i agree it is deteriating in a way. But if you think how many times do we " enthusiasts " go to Alton towers ? maybe twice a month ? so were bound to get bored of it as we no whats coming. But for the general public who go maybe 3 times a year its a nice little ride for them.
It only needs a bit of work doing in the house when you walk through.
Sig made by Craig - Gashead.
phillipvass

I don't know how you get there twice a month! I'm lucky if I go there once or maby twice a year if I can get the time off :) Gloomy Wood shouldn't be changed, the atmosphere is brilliant
Last edited by phillipvass on Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samurai

I'm not saying get rid of Gloomy wood altogether - I agree that the atmosphere is brill there - I'm just saying we need to see another ride there as Duel is a bit of a letdown.

Oh, and I'm lucky if I go twice a year myself!
Jay12

Duel isnt a let down i think its brilliant, ok we have opinions but i think its a brill ride just needs a bit more effect putting to it.
For gloomy wood itself, i dont want anything adding there as its a small area anyway, and its hidden away, its hard to describe but i think it should be left on its own.
Gashead

I think if they were to retheme gloomy wood then it wouldnt be for a few years yet with what looks like cred street for the next revamp.Also im not sure that they would...theres not alot you can do with the area of gloomy wood...which is why i think they wouldnt retheme it for a while
Anonymous

To be honest, it's not a huge area. And where's the rule saying that areas should have more than one ride?

Gloomy Wood is fine as it is IMO, it's well-themed and has the spooky atmosphere, it has the token haunted dark ride...and they've gone one further and improved that...anyone who says Duel is deteriorating is surely saying that based on their own opinion?

If AT catered for all us enthusiasts, there'd be ride replacing each old one every two years or so....Duel is absolutely fine and a great family ride.

There's not really much room for development...one interesting bit of land I always keep half an eye on when I hear of new developments is that path that takes you round the back of Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood to Forbidden Valley - mostly only used during the fireworks. That area between GW and FV... behind the ride shop (forget the name) where the toilet block is also...but I just don't see THAT happening, is it just me?

:twisted: :P
samurai

I don't class myself as an 'enthusiast' at all - I only go once a season at the most.

All I'm saying is that Gloomy Wood, although a small area, could be improved greatly with the addition of some sort of new ride. Yes, Duel was great the first time, but once you've ridden it it gets a bit tedious. Plus it makes your fingers hurt!
Jay12

Ok, how about not adding a new ride just re-theming the Duel as a sort of Runaway train, slow at first but then a few speedy bits sharp corners, a bit like a new black hole just scarier
Adam

i cant really see them changind Duel yet as it is stil faily new. its $hit but still kinda new!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Williscroft

I love Duel, great atmosphere down there as its all alone and thats what spooky places are usualy like, all alone and no were else to run to. Get realy creepy down there on the firework nights. If you add a new ride it would just spole the spooky feel to the place in my opinion. I think they should just realy realy improove Duel. Like the MIB ride were the cars spin rather than a car just going forward all the time. Now that i think would make the ride one of the most popular rides in the park :D
doom+sons1988

I think Duel should stay for a lot longer. Though if Duel does go (that's very unlikely) a haunted attraction or new dark ride should take it's place.

I still think Phantom Manor is my favourite haunted house ride. I know the storyline and the french narration doesen't bother me though it would be great if Vincent Price still narrated it.

Also when Halloween Spooktatcular comes they should put better lighting than 2004.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Nemesis_140

Personallyif a ride were to be installed in the Gloomy Wood it would have to be inside a building so it wouldn't spoil the eerie theme
lol
:lol:
It would have to be a small-medium sized flat ride or a small coaster...AT could relocate Ripsaw to the Gloomy Wood and put it inside a building with all the water fountains and lights/lasers/strobes and sounds....ooooo it would be so good lol
Anonymous

Duel imo has become more of a family ride since the change, although still very sinister the fact you have a blaster in your hand evens the score slightly.
I remember taking the kids about 10 years ago and with all the queue build up and all the ride attractions? working, it scared the hell out of me and the wife :oops: but they loved it!
I think gloomy wood should stay as it is, a total re-vamp of duel into a new haunted dark ride would be the way forward, not just to add a few zombies and blasters.
themeparkdude

Duel and the Gloomy wood area, is fine. It is really well themed. With it being surrounded by trees. It must be really scary in Winter :shock:

If they had to build anything new it would be a coaster. There are plans for a coaster, it appears to be a Vekoma bike coaster. But they could theme the cars into witches brooms.

This is where it will go if it is made

Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

Uncle_Adolph

The motorbike would be good, but 2 launching coasters that soon? I don't think so.

Also, I heard that B&M could be building a coaster with 6 inversions could be going in gloomy wood, going by the runaway mine train service road thingy, over the path in gloomy wood and interacting with the flume etc... Might not be true, but it looks possible. Please be yes. And apparantly it's a floorless...

-Ben
Mitchell

I think what Gloomy Wood could do, to increase the number of rides but to still seem like the Duel Haunted House is on its own is to have an underground ride. Think about it - it would be gloomy and creepy, even the queue line atmoshphere would be great! :)

Oh and about Ug land and Thunder Rock Ralley look at my idea (done in another topic)

Click here

Ug Land is split in two - Ug Land and Thunder Ralley. Ug Land has Boneshaker, Dynabugs (dynamo), Ug Swinger and a new floorless ug-land themed coaster. Thunder Ralley is made up of Rita, Corkscrew Ralley, a 'Thunder' Looper and a new drop tower. All appropriately themed.
Sounds good? :)
themeparkdude

[quote=""Uncle_Adolph""]The motorbike would be good, but 2 launching coasters that soon? I don't think so.

Also, I heard that B&M could be building a coaster with 6 inversions could be going in gloomy wood, going by the runaway mine train service road thingy, over the path in gloomy wood and interacting with the flume etc... Might not be true, but it looks possible. Please be yes. And apparantly it's a floorless...

-Ben[/quote]

Well if a floorless were to be built there. I hope most of the ride is around the trees, otherwise it will be another area they ruin with paths and shops. The could have the station oposite duel. And if they were to build this, it should be in 2008 or 2009. Because we have has the following coasters in the space of three years.

Air, Spinball Whizzer, and Rita. They at least need a 2 or three year break before they start building anymore coasters. There was a 4 year gap between Oblivion and Air. So could we see a 4 year gap from now until 2009!
Last edited by themeparkdude on Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

Anonymous

If they had to build anything new it would be a coaster. There are plans for a coaster, it appears to be a Vekoma bike coaster. But they could theme the cars into witches brooms.
Extremely unlikey we'll see those plans emerge.

I strongly think that the booster plans were just another indea for a filler ride, but they chose Rita instead. We all know how Alton thrive for providing totally new and different coasters every time, this would just clash with there normal conduct.

And, there is alot of trees in that area. We all know how much the local love there trees :roll: I think they should leave the area how it is ATM, to have a new huge coaster making noise, and have it really crowded would spoil the atmopshere. There isn't much room for alot of people there ATM and to extend it would also ruin the magic.

Lewis...:D
Mitchell

We all know how much the local love there trees
But they belong to Alton Towers. If AT wanted to, could they just chop all the trees down and get rid of all the plants? Or would legal stuff start happening? :?