The Next Themed Area or Area Refurbishment

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Coaster Chall

Just came to my attention, what does everyone think will be the next refurb of a current area or even a new area altogether?
DeadJack5

I think the most likely/most logical area to refurb/retheme will be Cloud Cuckoo Land. With the Dungeons coming in 2019, I would really like to the see this part of the park restored and made to look good again. It's going to be getting a lot more visitors in that section of the park so they really need to make that area look vibrant and attractive again like it once was. If Twirling Toadstools made a return; even better imo.
Coaster Chall

Yeah, I think CCL will go in 2019. They'll stop access through Scarefest then the first teasers will come then and the full announcement in January 2020.
Dom

CCL is the most likely to next undergo work. Its been a while since it received any real love, so it would be nice to see the area get a revamp. But after that, I feel, much to my hatred of saying this, will be Katanga Canyon. I adore the area to bits, but its look old and needs so new life brought to the area. 
GregH94

Cloud Cuckoo Land I think we’re all in agreement with - it’s the one area of the park that lacks a standout/signature attraction (unless you count HoM which is seasonal). This will obviously change this year with the Dungeons going in nearby, but I don’t expect the area as a whole to remain the same once that’s open because having them both next to each other would be like Danzig playing at a school disco if you get what I mean. 

I think a Tudor/Victorian themed old English style street would compliment the Dungeons perfectly, if it was up to me that’s probably what I’d go with. 
TheBeornen

Dom wrote:CCL is the most likely to next undergo work. Its been a while since it received any real love, so it would be nice to see the area get a revamp. But after that, I feel, much to my hatred of saying this, will be Katanga Canyon. I adore the area to bits, but its look old and needs so new life brought to the area. 
Hopefully it's just some TLC and freshing up of the area and maybe a new attraction rather than a retheme of Katanga Canyon, the area holds too much memories for me.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
air_head

GregH94 wrote:I think a Tudor/Victorian themed old English style street would compliment the Dungeons perfectly, if it was up to me that’s probably what I’d go with. 
When it opened as Talbot Street that’s exactly the theme it had, a Victorian Street complete with undertaker! I’d like to see some sort of return to this too, but it really does need some more attractions. It’s a dead area of the park with a fair amount of space. The theatre is unused, as is Outta Control. What used to be Wobble World is also just a glorified rain shelter. The Dungeons’ arrival to the park isn’t a popular one, but hopefully it can breathe some life into the corner of the park.
Rob
Admin
Admin

It wouldn't surprise me if Cloud Cuckoo Land was closed throughout 2019 with the area boarded off with signs saying area under redevelopment.

Gallopers Carousel relocated to Fountain square, Driving school closed and Frog hopper removed due to the replacement in CBeebies Land. 
KatangaZebra

I have a few questions/comments:

1. Is there any chance they would move the Dark Forest entrance so that Burger Kitchen and the Dungeons are separate from a kid friendly area? It seems a bit of a waste to completely change the area from a kid area to another “scary” themed area when they didn’t revamp the Driving School too long ago

2. I wasn’t born when it was there so my knowledge is very limited, but could they open up more into the area behind the CATCF building (like where Doom & Sons was) in order to make another area completely? I understand when Toyland Tours was demolished they made the CATCF bigger, but how much room would remain from that area used years ago?

3. Could they theme the area around the Dungeons, Burger Kitchen and Skyride to match the Towers theme and make them an area?

I’m aware that these don’t make much sense but I’m just curious.
Cobby

air_head wrote:
GregH94 wrote:I think a Tudor/Victorian themed old English style street would compliment the Dungeons perfectly, if it was up to me that’s probably what I’d go with. 
When it opened as Talbot Street that’s exactly the theme it had, a Victorian Street complete with undertaker! I’d like to see some sort of return to this too, but it really does need some more attractions. It’s a dead area of the park with a fair amount of space. The theatre is unused, as is Outta Control. What used to be Wobble World is also just a glorified rain shelter. The Dungeons’ arrival to the park isn’t a popular one, but hopefully it can breathe some life into the corner of the park.
Wobbleworld now has house of monsters in it. As for the theatre/ outta control you do have quite a bit of space there and I was looking at it the other day and i think you might be able to squeeze a dark ride in there somehow or another type of attraction. It would be nice if we could have house of monsters open year round though as I think that would be a good addition to the line up currently at the resort but then it might lose some of the charm. I quite like the idea of being back Talbot street though and the House of Monsters has a good cast of characters in so they could easily expand on them and use them to theme the area if they wanted too, I highly doubt this will happen at all but hey I quite like the idea.
Coaster Chall

Now that Cloud Cuckoo Land will be transformed into The World Of David Walliams for 2021, what area is next for a retheme, major refurbishment or some kind of major new attraction? Next SW? New dark ride/flat ride/water ride and where?
EthanRocks27

I don't why, but I have a feeling we could be seeing Gloomy Wood being refurbed, maybe replacing Duel along the way.

They could resort back to the originally planned Witch Broomstick Rollercoaster and change its plans a bit and create a LSM Multi Launch Coaster which whizzes through the trees and over the Monorail.

Link to the Broomstick Plans: https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/t ... roomsticks
Coaster Chall

Yeah I think Gloomy Wood is up for debate. Maybe that will be SW9 and it'll have a special element or break a record for the UK, Europe or the World. Either Intamin or (dare I say) Vekoma and themed to the area.
Pins

I’ve always thought the naming was strange.

Dark Forest and Gloomy Wood are basically synonyms for the same thing. Maybe they will change Forbidden Valley to ‘Dimly Lit Jungle’
Ensee

They’d be better off putting an indoor dark ride next to / inside the Towers itself to replace Duel and complement Hex.  Though with the Dungeons now, is a replacement haunted house even needed? Grouping all the ‘spooky’ attractions next to the Towers/Dark Forest builds on the park’s best asset.

Duel‘s warehouse-sized show building, plus the storage space behind it (I see old rapids and flume boats on google maps) would allow them to build something like an Intamin Blitz.  Maybe even weaving into the woods too, like the broomstick ride.

However, that site might make for a better entrance to the park vs. Towers Street. Moving the entrance nearer the car park could allow them to remove the monorail and redevelop the existing entrance site instead.  Planning wise, it might be difficult to stick an attraction if the lawns around the lake are listed too.  I know that idea was proposed a while ago but I’ve not followed the industry news for years now...

Collectively, the hospitality industry will be holding its breath for a couple of years.  I can see Merlin picking up the pieces of Sea World (minus the whales, please) if it goes bankrupt.  Here though, it’s the constraints linked to the park which have given it some great attractions, but I hope any refurb takes time to rationalise the muddled layout we’ve got today.
cookiee_munster

Ensee wrote:They’d be better off putting an indoor dark ride next to / inside the Towers itself to replace Duel and complement Hex.
I don't get this? :-k
rainbowryder

Ensee wrote:but I hope any refurb takes time to rationalise the muddled layout we’ve got today.
I think this would be fantastic for the park.The entrance being so far out the way does agitate a lot of visitors, though it is such a beautiful view walking into the park looking over at the lawns and the towers. I think an entrance where Duel is sounds good, as not much is going on around that area anyway. An Air car park coaster wouldn't be too much of a trek away from the entrance either. It may also encourage visitors to walk through Haunted Hollow and The Gardens and could disperse visitors in all directions at the beginning of the day, rather than a lot of the visitors heading straight to Cbeebies Land and X Sector from the current entrance, as Forbidden Valley, The World of David Walliams and Dark Forest are so far away from the current entrance. It would also add a level of mystery to the park, with visitors going through the woods to get to the towers and the other side of the park, along with not being able to see any attractions when entering the park (which is something I like about the zoo entrance at Chessington).
cookiee_munster

Id like to see Katanga Canyon get a retheme to some form of Aztec jungle theme. I don't think it would be relatively difficult. The colonian african theme the land currently has is quite sparse and doesn't really have that much of an impact. Both Rapids and Mine Train could recieve some kind of ruined temple theming scattered about and then maybe some some kind of new water ride addition to the area (possibly the overspill coach park)