Alton Towers 40th Anniversary in 2020

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I might be alone on this but I think Alton Towers has a large collection of recognisable characters to use. There’s the ministry of joy and all it’s ‘colourful’ characters, the phalanx and the nemesis creature, galactica and the astronauts, Thirteen and it’s wraiths, wicker man and the beoren and the earl and beggar from Hex. This alone is a worthy line up of characters, who each could have an incredibly well themed and beautiful parade float. They already have well designed costumes for most of these characters since they were used in promotional material or in scaremazes, so that part would be easy to do. Even if they’re not instantly recognisable to all, from colours and theming it wouldn’t take the GP long to figure out what/who they are. Then, that could give Alton towers a standing to do more things with them, making the characters of the rides also become the characters assossiated with the park.

The only problem I could see with this is it being too scary for little kids and adults not caring, but then look at wicker man. Its preshow sits beautifully with everyone. Sure, it’s a little spooky but with the right amount of effects and character design, I think you’d be able to entertain the younger ones. I think a parade about the rides would intrigue people’s interests, especially if you advertise heavily the wicker man parade float, since people will become attached to the wicker man story and probably wish to see more. That’s how I’d assume you’d be able to get adult audiences.

Honestly though, as long as they make outstanding floats that get people talking, it doesn’t matter what’s on them or what’s the age group. If a show is branded by reviewers and people in the know as ‘wow’ then people would see it. If they made an actually worth while show to see, and actually advertised it, I think people would go and see it.
Robert.W

saw-x-smile wrote:I might be alone on this but I think Alton Towers has a large collection of recognisable characters to use. There’s the ministry of joy and all it’s ‘colourful’ characters, the phalanx and the nemesis creature, galactica and the astronauts, Thirteen and it’s wraiths, wicker man and the beoren and the earl and beggar from Hex. This alone is a worthy line up of characters, who each could have an incredibly well themed and beautiful parade float. They already have well designed costumes for most of these characters since they were used in promotional material or in scaremazes, so that part would be easy to do. Even if they’re not instantly recognisable to all, from colours and theming it wouldn’t take the GP long to figure out what/who they are. Then, that could give Alton towers a standing to do more things with them, making the characters of the rides also become the characters assossiated with the park.
You're quite right there! When you really think about it, they've actually got so much to work with already! Doing a parade based on the park's rides is probably the best way to do it to be honest. 

Me thinking aloud...

Nemesis – float could be based off the Nemesis monster, and Phalanx operatives could walk by the float to guard the monster.
TH13TEEN – float based off of a ruined part of the Towers, surrounded by Wraiths, some walking alongside the float, interacting with guests, some actually on the float itself. 
Hex – float based off of the Chained Oak. Characters from the legend such as the Earl and the Beggar walk along, interacting with guests. 
The Smiler – float based off the Marmalizer. Dr. Kelman would stand at the front of the float. "Smiler Men" and "Smiler Women" would dance alongside the float.
Runaway Mine Train – float themed to mine, with train (bit like the original float). Miner characters could dance alongside the float.
Wicker Man – float based off the wicker man effigy. Beornen characters walk alongside the float interacting with guests and "worshipping" the large wicker man on the float. Fire dancers could also be on the float.

TheDuke

I think a parade is really unlikely and wouldn't suit the park at all, also as said above theres not really space for it. I see them playing old music on the park and selling merchandise with old designs on them for existing and closed attractions.
ATI

Is it too early for SW9?
We were born to fly...
Robert.W

I mean, it's only 2 years away, but if they were absolutely desperate to open a major ride for their anniversary, there isn't really anything stopping them I suppose. 

DeadJack5

If that was the case, SW9 would have some plans submitted by now. As much I would like another new coaster, I can't really see anywhere big enough to have one. And besides, we have some new ride called "Wicker Man" ;)

Personally I think if they were to celebrate their 40th birthday, it would involve some birthday theming on Towers Street, maybe some event style to celebrate it but I don't really know how likely we are to see anything.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I think the thing we are most likely to see are the decorations Jack was talking about and some new merchandise celebrating every ride that has been at Alton - probably mainly pins.
Zach

So just doing some research, and to give this topic some foundations to build realistic expectations on, I have found details of what Alton Towers did for there 30th Anniversary. 

“Alton Towers is celebrating its 30th anniversary on May 23, 2010 with a 1980s-themed concert - and will let guests in for free in exchange for cassette tapes from the era“

Artists included: 
  • Kim Wilde 
  • Rick Astley
  • Bananarama 
  • Midge ure 
  • Curiosity killed the cat 
Now don’t worry if you don’t recognise the bands or too young to know who they are but all I can say is that this suggests Alton Towers could do something similar or at least same scale after all life begins at 40 right ;) 
Robert.W

So.... we could get another 80s themed concert... fingers crossed they at least want to do something a bit more imaginative than that. They could invest in something more long term.... like some new rides :P

Dungeon-X-Smile

Alton towers is never gonna give up the 80s. 

That said, an 80s concert is actually really smart. I rather like it but I can't see them doing it again. They can't do the same thing twice, but it was smart the first time. A concert does make the most sense, but I can't imagine any kids these days having cassettes haha. I do agree though that there's no way that they can do a parade. Shows seem to not go the best. I honestly can't think of anything they would be able to do. Except...
Maybe they might hire the IPs of classic 80s films for the scaremazes? They seem to want to honour the 80s, and scaremazes are one of the core elements of Alton Towers. 
Coaster Clan

Possibly N-ST reopening, Seeing as there has been a tent seen there this year maybe work has gone in refurbishing it, or it might be having some TLC. But that's just my thoughts.
'Sit Back, It's Fright Time!'
Dan

Coaster Clan wrote:Possibly N-ST reopening, Seeing as there has been a tent seen there this year maybe work has gone in refurbishing it, or it might be having some TLC. But that's just my thoughts.
The activity around Nemesis: Sub-Terra is related to Project 42, the new maze for this years Scarefest that is utilising the Sub-Terra building and queue line.
Coaster Chall

They could bring back 3 classic rides for 2020; Ripsaw, Dynamo and Submission. Ripsaw in its old location, Submission in its old location and Dynamo (as part of phase 1 in a 2 phase Forbidden Valley expansion in the old car park behind Galactica) and then phase 2 in 2021 or 2022, SW9 in that area.
Coaster Chall

Robert.W wrote:
saw-x-smile wrote:I might be alone on this but I think Alton Towers has a large collection of recognisable characters to use. There’s the ministry of joy and all it’s ‘colourful’ characters, the phalanx and the nemesis creature, galactica and the astronauts, Thirteen and it’s wraiths, wicker man and the beoren and the earl and beggar from Hex. This alone is a worthy line up of characters, who each could have an incredibly well themed and beautiful parade float. They already have well designed costumes for most of these characters since they were used in promotional material or in scaremazes, so that part would be easy to do. Even if they’re not instantly recognisable to all, from colours and theming it wouldn’t take the GP long to figure out what/who they are. Then, that could give Alton towers a standing to do more things with them, making the characters of the rides also become the characters assossiated with the park.
You're quite right there! When you really think about it, they've actually got so much to work with already! Doing a parade based on the park's rides is probably the best way to do it to be honest. 

Me thinking aloud...

Nemesis – float could be based off the Nemesis monster, and Phalanx operatives could walk by the float to guard the monster.
TH13TEEN – float based off of a ruined part of the Towers, surrounded by Wraiths, some walking alongside the float, interacting with guests, some actually on the float itself. 
Hex – float based off of the Chained Oak. Characters from the legend such as the Earl and the Beggar walk along, interacting with guests. 
The Smiler – float based off the Marmalizer. Dr. Kelman would stand at the front of the float. "Smiler Men" and "Smiler Women" would dance alongside the float.
Runaway Mine Train – float themed to mine, with train (bit like the original float). Miner characters could dance alongside the float.
Wicker Man – float based off the wicker man effigy. Beornen characters walk alongside the float interacting with guests and "worshipping" the large wicker man on the float. Fire dancers could also be on the float.
I agree. I would also add some floats for CBeebies Land, Galactica (Sci Fi/Futuristic) and CCL. But also, some classic floats like Black Hole (Space), Corkscrew (Ug Land Theme), etc.
rosabellagm

I don't think FV is really the best area of the park to be doing entertainment like this. 
Coaster Chall

I really hope that the Alton Towers Dungeon this year was a phase 1 redevelopment of that area. 2020's focus needs to be on CCL and redeveloping that area of the park.

Also, I feel like Wicker Man is out of touch with Mutiny Bay, so with Mutiny Bay 11 years old this year, this could be Alton Towers chance to utilise the Wicker Man theme of that area. Like Tornado Springs is something which only Paultons Park can do because it’s original to the park, the Wicker Man theme is original for AT, so they could really expand on that as well.
Mr_Gibson

I do think CCL needs some serious attention, it used to be such a busy place but now almost all the buildings are not used and there is very little to bring people there. It’s the area of the park that I think has the most potential for a complete redevelopment without much headache from the planners etc.
Cobby

I agree that CCL needs some serious attention but what I think would be a fun idea is on April 4th next year have entrance for just £2.50 like it used to be. They could limit the amount of tickets available if needed too and I think it would bring a lot of people to the resort as well as getting the press to cover it. Finally it would pay homage to the 40th anniversary with it being the original price for the resort. 
Bert

If they charged £2.50 for entrance fee they would still lose loads of money even if all the rides were closed.
Last edited by Bert on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Insert Signature Here]
Cobby

True it was just an idea that's all. Unless they had an extremely limited number say 40 tickets for £2.50 or something?