Mutiny Bay Smokehouse

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Ladyofthelake

As reported on TowersTimes News, plans have been submitted for a new food and beverage offering in the Mutiny Bay Courtyard. If approved, the plans will see the removal of the old Courtyard Barbeque servery, and the installation of a new food serving area at the back of the Courtyard Tavern, The current large canopy will be replaced and surrounded with glass railings to enclose the area from the elements. Whilst we don't yet know exactly what kind of food it will offer, the planning documents hint we may be seeing a Smokehouse similar to that at Chessington World of Adventures Resort.

Perhaps one of the saddest parts of the plans though is the confirmation that the Pirates of Mutiny Bay Stage is to be stripped out suggesting that the Pirates have swashbuckled their last and will not be making a return :(
Justin

The Smokehouse at Chessington is a nice addition to the park, so it will be nice to see this area revamped!
jackf1tz

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! I loved that show! Could they do a similar show inside the building? The park feels a bit empty, and I miss all of the entertainment it used to have ( outside of cbeebies land).
S.J_O'Grady

Shame about the stage, it was a nice example of how Merlin should be with their theming efforts. Hopefully the improvements to the Ingestre building will also mean a bit of theming on the walls or something. I'm certainly glad they're giving the old building a bit of attention.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Robert.W

I can't wait to try out this new place when it opens! We always eat at Eastern Express, so this new place would be a nice alternative nearby. 
I guess the removal of the stage is good and bad. Whilst it was themed well, it didn't quite fit in with the courtyard... perhaps Alton want to make the courtyard a little more authentic... the stage never really fit in with the more relaxing courtyard atmosphere of Mutiny Bay, yet one could still argue that it was still in a good locating for the seating etc., but thematically, I think it stood out a bit too much. Mutiny Bay is always such a nice place to relax, so I think a well themed restaurant is just what the area needs.

Bert

Does anyone think that this is to compliment SW8 next year, similar to that of RCR and Galactica, I mean I love how Towers expanding their F&B options, and Mutiny Bay was already the best F&B place in the park.

However if this is going to be in the same area as SW8, SW8 not looking likely to be in MB, It will isolate Battle Galleons from the rest of the area. I Wouldn't want Battle Galleons to be rethemed unless it was themed to the standard it is now, it's the best themed ride in the park. 

Also having been Chessngton for the first time recently, the BBQ Smokehouse smelt delicious when I walked past, and I'm sure it will help create a more immersive atmosphere for SW8, intended or not intended. 

Shame to see the Pirate Show go, I will miss hearing Lady Gaga on the Skyride, But seeing SW8 makes up for that. I would like something to be done outside Cbeebies at Towers, It's strange that when I'm in Cbeebies I have to convince myself I'm at Towers with the variety of entertainment that goes on. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Robert.W

Bert2theSpark wrote:Does anyone think that this is to compliment SW8 next year, similar to that of RCR and Galactica, I mean I love how Towers expanding their F&B options, and Mutiny Bay was already the best F&B place in the park.
Actually, I don't think that the new restaurant will necessarily be themed to SW8. I do however think that its probably not a coincidence that they are in the same area as each other and was probably designed to compliment SW8, but not be the same theme as it.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

The planning application for the works to the Mutiny Bay Courtyard was approved yesterday, with the council generally seeming quite pleased with what’s proposed as it provides an opportunity for more guests to appreciate the listed building.
Justin

I'm looking forward to it. It will make a great outlet to grab a small bite to eat and chill.
Zach

Finally the opportunity for more premium quality food, steak burgers and skin on chips! I for one can’t wait to how this turns out, hopefully heavily themed and tied in nicely with SW8.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Our of curiosity, does the Chessington one offer anything in the way of Vegetarian options? The menu online very much implies that other than chips and salad, they do not.

Otherwise, I'm sure it'll be lovely for meat eaters but the food situation for Vegetarians at the park remains truly appalling. 
Justin

Limited, Adz. I had a macaroni chesse along with some fries. It is more fast food menus and not a restaurant choice. Woodcutters still remains a good choice for veggies! RCR has improved, as I am sure you'll know, this year too!
Robert.W

I'm really not sure how reliable this is, but according to TowersStreet Facebook page, the Smokehouse in Mutiny Bay will now not be opening for 2018.

Dan

Robert.W wrote:I'm really not sure how reliable this is, but according to TowersStreet Facebook page, the Smokehouse in Mutiny Bay will now not be opening for 2018.
I can’t say I’m surprised, given that The Welcoming is still fully in place. If the Smokehouse was still happening this season we would have seen activity in the courtyard by now.

I am disappointed in this decision though. Having visited the Smokehouse at Chessington last season, I was looking forward to seeing what Alton’s was going to be like. Hopefully this isn’t a permanent cancellation of the project and we see it introduced in 2019.

What does concern me is how the F&B outlets on that side of the park will cope with the increased footfall it’ll see from Wicker Man. I imagine we’ll see the Mutiny Bay Burger Kitchen re-open but I think Pizza & Pasta will have the biggest uplift, given it’s relative proximity to Wicker Man.
Robert.W

I have to agree, I too am slightly worried how that area of the park is going to cope with the larger numbers of people wanting to use the current food and beverages offerings. One thing I have heard suggested is the possibility that Towers might have Towers Street Bar open for more of the year, although, it is still maybe a little too far away from Wicker Man to relieve some of the pressure on the Mutiny Bay outlets.

With Wicker Man opening, Alton Towers had a real opportunity to give the whole are a bit of a "buzz", by opening the new restaurant in the Courtyard, so it is very much a shame to hear almost a confirmation that it's not going ahead after all.