What will Alton Towers be like in 50 years?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
RollercoasterRob

So I was wandering what you thought Alton Towers would be like in the long term future, will they have added new themed area, which of the Secret Wepons will have been removed, what state will the towers be in, will they have re themed any of the hotels or would they even open another theme park to try and keep as many of the current rides and experiences as possible without ruining the classic Alton Towers Experience?
S.J_O'Grady

It's very difficult to predict what anything will be like in 50 years. However, the park will always want to try and top records so by that time you'd see rollercoasters with way more than 14 inversions.

By then the ride line up will have changed a lot. They will have no option but to remove many existing attractions as they have to expand to bring in customers but they have a limited space to work with. Possibly The Smiler will still be operating. Nemesis? Maybe. But Oblivion for example will have long gone. The Towers themselves are historically important so they have to at least maintain them in their current state, if not look into some renovation.

What is currently considered the "classic Alton Towers experience" will change overtime. The park is nothing like how it was in 1980 but we still all know it as the same place. It will still have a similar layout. It will still have its history (towers and gardens) but overall it is impossible to say what things will be like in 50 years. Things will happen that at the moment seem totally impossible. 50 years ago a mobile phone would be something found in a far fetched sci if movie.

All I know is that I will still be visiting! That is if there has not been an apocalypse and my 66 year old body can still handle it.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
DONT LOOK DOWN

Under water
Adam.W

Just a few random predictions (perhaps I come back and read this in 50 years, who knows :P)

-AT would have switched ownerships a couple of times
-RMT/KC replaced to some extent
-Duel getting removed and replaced by something else
-Mutiny bay buildings getting redone
-Increased hotel capacity
-Another two B&M coasters (or more)
-Another several coasters
-A LOT more, 50 years is a long time in terms of developments ye know

It could even just be abandoned/sold off if numbers dwindle too much over that period, a bit like what happened to Camelot
Tom170499

Adam.W wrote:
It could even just be abandoned/sold off if numbers dwindle too much over that period, a bit like what happened to Camelot
That would be the day I breakdown and cry :nervious:
S.J_O'Grady

DONT LOOK DOWN wrote:Under water
They'll just have to put up a big fence around it. They like putting up fences at the moment.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Nathan_Fisher

Personally I think all the rides we see today will eventually be removed over the next 50 years replaced with rides with new technology and concepts which the current rides don't have. I think all the areas will be rethemed however the hotels will expand and the current ones will stay in place. Ownership will most likely change hands with the addition of more attractions to make it an even bigger resort, like what they have done with treetop quest etc. I think they will be expanding to the point people go to the resort for a weeks holiday rather than a few days.
Ryan.B

I can see Nemesis surviving, and possibly Hex and Thirteen, can't see too much else making it that far though.
Themeparksandy1981

Well ticket prices will be just over £100 each on the gate for adults and about £95 for 4-11 year olds. So a day out for a family of 4 even if 2 for 1 tickets are still around will be £200 then you got parking which could be £20 by then. With petrol and a meal in the park for 4 you got to be looking at roughly a day out at the towers £300.
Like I be 85 in 50 years and hopefully I still be here but my grandkids will enjoy it as much as I do.
I reckon with the ghost train costing 30 million in 50 years you got to be looking at new rides costing 70 to 80 million by then.
I can't see any of the current rides in the park to still be there in 50 years time. CBeebies could still be there as they will just replace rides with newer shows to keep it fresh.
musicjoe12

All the rides you see today even cbeebies land and the buildings will be all gone replaced only thing what will be the same is the towers. Because come on no rides and last 50 years.
owenrita121

musicjoe12 wrote:All the rides you see today even cbeebies land and the buildings will be all gone replaced only thing what will be the same is the towers. Because come on no rides and last 50 years.
Of course rides can last 50 years! If maintained properly they can last forever! Weather they would still be popular enough to last 50 years is another matter!
You only have to look at Pleasure Beach to see rides can last over 50 years!
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
S.J_O'Grady

Leap the Dips at Lakemont Park is 114 years old!!
RobHand

Alton Towers VR Resort "The Words First Resort Fully Dedicated to VR" :lol
8byfire

RobHand wrote:Alton Towers VR Resort "The Words First Resort Fully Dedicated to VR"  :lol
On a tragic modern tech note, nobody can be bothered to get up and go out for the day any more so Alton and other parks have been mothballed or closed completely and are just a simulation people watch at home or on a headset while traveling to work etc. If our love affair with tech continues this nightmare scenario could happen! "But it's so realistic", erm, but you're not actually, you know, there.

This would never happen? *cough* Coastiality the App *cough*

Although it depends, I watch a lot of coaster stuff on youtube and it keeps my love of the parks going, so it depends how humanity evolve alongside our tech!

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen
vikkimoo

As long as the rides are suitable for 80 year olds (as I will be), it's all good!  :lol
chrisgeorgiou46

vikkimoo wrote:As long as the rides are suitable for 80 year olds (as I will be), it's all good!  :lol
I was enjoying the responses in this forum until I read this and realised I will never be able to ride this stuff because I will be too old / dead.
vikkimoo

Sorry chrisgeorgiou46! To be fair, people are living longer so you never know...
RideOpMatt

You climb into the back of your car, it drives you to towers, drops you off at the drop off point and goes and parks itself on the 30 story car park. Why 30 stories? Well, back in 2020, things were starting to get a bit clustered on the park. Reducing car park spaces was the logical choice. 

As you take a hoverboard to the entrance tunnels, you go up to the turnstiles and scan the chip in your hand on the scanner which lets you through. Any issues? No worries, autonomous customer service assistants are on hand to offer assistance. 

All the rides from back in 2018? Mostly gone, a few old classics that have stood the test of time remain such as Wicker Man and Smiler. But they're definitely showing their age, smiler gives riders whiplash on every inversion and WM shakes you so much you feel sick.  

Rides don't tend to have wheel assemblies anymore... They're held up and powered using electronic magnetic fields around the tracks. Why anyone ever thought rough, bumpy wheels was a good idea is a mystery. And no way of stopping mid track? Absolute lunatics. Now a days any coaster can stop wherever they want on track, except upside down. 

Human operators? Slow and ineffective, all gone, replaced by autonomous ride boarding systems. 

OR, maybe things just won't change all that much, except  few new rides... A new owner... And higher prices. But at least the queue's in  2068 will be none existent.