The World of David Walliams

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Owen

Robert W wrote:As for the Jurassic Park ride, Merlin would have to obtain licensing from Universal and that could be costly and dufficult as Universal already have rides themed to this IP.
It's lucky they didn't say it'd be themed to Jurassic park then, rather just be the same style of ride system! ;)
Robert.W

Owen wrote:
Robert W wrote:As for the Jurassic Park ride, Merlin would have to obtain licensing from Universal and that could be costly and dufficult as Universal already have rides themed to this IP.
It's lucky they didn't say it'd be themed to Jurassic park then, rather just be the same style of ride system! ;)
Damn! My mistake! But a Jurassic style ride would be a fantastic idea! What if dinosaurs took over Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Count-Vonduel

Just been reading all the suggestions and thought I would chip in!

First of all...LEGO LEGO LEGO! what's with all the Lego?

Back in the late 2000's I would have been raving at the thought of a Doctor Who themed anything but now, now its my #1 worst case scenario (bar Emoji Movie theme) the other day, I cought up with the latest series of DW and NO!...just no, keep that misandry laden bile FAR away from AT!

I think a lightly scenario would be a Shrek or other DreamWorks IP, I would hate it but still...

I most want to see either a full relaunch of CCL or an Algernon themed remake of cred street (having a neutral theme will also give them a lot of room to try some cool themes without having to worry about the rest of the area)
It would also be a good excuse to open House of Monsters as a permanent pay-per-ride attraction!
Robert.W

Count-Vonduel wrote: I most want to see either a full relaunch of CCL or an Algernon themed remake of cred street (having a neutral theme will also give them a lot of room to try some cool themes without having to worry about the rest of the area)
It would also be a good excuse to open House of Monsters as a permanent pay-per-ride attraction!
Some cool ideas! I would personally love to see a relaunch of Cloud Cuckoo Land as I think the theme has potential but will only do well with the right execution!
My only concern with a "neutral" theme as you called it would be the fact that having lots of different themes under that may seem a bit random to the every day park guest.
AT would not want to open House of Monsters all year as it would cost themselves money as it wouldn't be as exclusive to Scarefest and AT would need to hire actors all year round. I have heard that it was a very well thought of attraction though!
As I said though, a well thought out relaunch of Cloud Cuckoo Land would be fantastic idea!

Justin

I still stick with the idea of a magic theme as I believe it would add something to the resort, especially with the towers being so close. Just imagine Harry Potter's Diagon Alley but without the IP. It would be an ideal family area.

CCL could have a wand shop, House of Monsters would fit perfectly as a seasonal or permanent attraction, frog hopper could be rethemed to 'Jumping Broomsticks'. Charlie could be rethemed as a ride through a magical school. Related or not, Hex could be built into the area. There is so much potential!
Robert.W

I actually had a few similar ideas a while back! I thought that CATCF could have been themed into a magicians workshop with lots of illusions and special effects for magic and the rest of the "village" would have been themed with Victorian architecture.

Justin

A magician's workshop would work well!
Dom

CCL has always been an interesting area. It has so much potential but seems to fall quite short of the line to what it could be. I actually think they should bring the Enchanted Village theme into the area. They could  bring the woodland sprites and fairies to life in the CCL. Charlie could be completely gutted and used as a different type of ride or use the boat ride currently sat in the building and just do a decent retheme to EV. I reckon that could work quite well. Plus with Twirling Toadstool and Frog Hopper already there, that's half the work already done :lol
Robert.W

I agree that an Enchanted Village theme would work well as a theme in a theme park, but I think the only problem at Towers is that they have so many "Woods" and "Forest" themes already. I would like Towers to pick diverse themes that they haven't used before or are similar to areas they already have...
I actually have a tiny suspicion that they want to move Twirling Toadstool to the Enchanted Village... and as long as there was new development in CCL, I wouldn't mind. Enchanted Village can sometimes get a bit boring after park hours (unless you like playing on childerens slides etc.), so it wouldn't be an illogical move as far as I'm concerned.

jessiejuju

I would like to see CCL re-themed to match the Towers with a courtyard feel and the two areas being combined.
TheDuke

jessiejuju wrote:I would like to see CCL re-themed to match the Towers with a courtyard feel and the two areas being combined.
Aye, maybe a return of a merrie England style area. They don't really "need" CCL as a CBBs land has been a huge success and has more junior rides than CCL. CCL is also quite empty so it would be a good time to overhaul it. We probably won't see it soon though as the towers are already inverting alot of money in the next year for SW8.
The Nemesis Fox

Although random, with SW8 progressing rapidly I feel that Alton Towers is fastly growing back into its old skin with popularity looming to increase with it.
It makes me bring up CCL because of the fact that something must be progressing there also. This is simply because we know that one of the senior figures at Alton has put on their bio that there is a big project opening in 2019 that began in late 2016, which will be a year after SW8. This therefore means that either a large redevelopment or something new will come to Alton for that date, with a redevelopment corresponding with the state of CCL. I could mention that of a redevelopment for the west of the park for SW8 but that is for another topic...
Anyway getting back on track, what I mean to say that if this is all true a major overhaul of CCL is looming for 2019. What do you think that the theme will be and what do you think they might/will change in CCL?????
Robert.W

Actually, it is interesting to speculate because I've always thought that the relocation of Frog Hopper was potentially to allow for access to the buildings behind it. Also, possibly something will be happening the CATCF building. I do however think that a major overhaul is unlikely, at least in the foreseeable future since they have been giving TLC to a lot of the rides in CCL.

Burniel

I think 2019 definitely should and probably will be CCL's year. The following would be very nice to see:
  • Overall theme - I'm not 100% sure what, but anything (even an IP) would be better than the mis-matched areas we have now. The kind of fantasy theme it's currently loosely working with could work with the current lineup (a magical world where children can drive cars, people of all ages can ride on magical horse, frog, or toadstool and so on), but this needs to be clearer and have a more headline attractions to solidify this.
  • Charlie refurb/new dark ride - Depending on scale, this doesn't have to be 2019 (although I don't see why not given Merlin's investment cycles), but an original dark ride based around a fantasy world, perhaps even incorporating some of the fantastical images from the rest of the area (flying toadstools etc) as theming and animatronics. Alternatively, a similar atmosphere could be created with an IP, provided the correct IP is used.
  • Ice Age replacement - A new show (doesn't have to be 4D, I'm leaning more towards a live show actually) based around magic and/or any IPs that may have been used in the area.
  • Use of the House Of Monsters Building - I understand it's an excellent venue for the maze, but it's a bit poor to see it vacant in the first half of the season. Some sort of temporary children's play area or something such as Wobble World could easily be put in there, provided it could be disassembled annually in August/September.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
jackf1tz

I'm doubting that they'll remind the house of monsters theming, as it seemed to be very popular and well built. August is the main time when families come to the resort so dismantling the play area at that time seems like a bad investment in my opinion. Also, wobble world always seemed to be unenjoyable to children taller than the very low height limit that are too small to get onto the likes of Spinball Whizzer or Th13teen, etc. Some five year olds were being turned away at the entrance, and as such it was never a busy attraction. I would personally like to see them cover up the house of monsters façade, and introduce a soft play area into the old Nickelodeon: Outta Control building. I also believe that they should add some more attractions into the old coaster corner, so I'll be back when I've thought of something suitable for that :P
jwewan

I feel as if Wallace and Gromit / Shaun the Sheep, could possibly work out well for a re-theming of CCL especially with the new shaun the sheep films coming out. I can't actually think of any rides that would suitably go with the theme, however. What do you think?
jackf1tz

The only rides I could think that would fit are already in cbeebies land. It's a good idea for the park but as Mandyland is home to the only Wallace and Gromit ride it is unlikely that the IP is up for sale at the moment. Also, the resort already has a children's land themed to an IP, so I'd rather them use an original theme.
Burniel

jackf1tz wrote:I'm doubting that they'll remind the house of monsters theming, as it seemed to be very popular and well built. August is the main time when families come to the resort so dismantling the play area at that time seems like a bad investment in my opinion. Also, wobble world always seemed to be unenjoyable to children taller than the very low height limit that are too small to get onto the likes of Spinball Whizzer or Th13teen, etc. Some five year olds were being turned away at the entrance, and as such it was never a busy attraction. I would personally like to see them cover up the house of monsters façade, and introduce a soft play area into the old Nickelodeon: Outta Control building. I also believe that they should add some more attractions into the old coaster corner, so I'll be back when I've thought of something suitable for that :P
But then again, is it also not a bit pointless to have an ideal building for a small children's attraction right in the middle of one of the park's main children's areas sitting out of use with a load of scaremaze theming inside (albeit for a children's scare maze). I haven't experienced House Of Monsters yet, so admittedly can't comment on the extent of the set, but it seems to me that it's a bit unfortunately placed. It may be the case that little can be done to prevent the building from being redundant for 85% of the season, but it's still true that in an ideal world some other use of the building would be possible. I think the use of the Outta Control building for a play area is a fair compromise, however. :)

As for attractions in Coaster Corner, I think there are some family flats that could work for the area. Perhaps a dodgems ride and/or something along the lines of Seastorm/Rocky Express/Knight's Quest? With the use of theming to properly integrate the rides into the area, such rides could be a great success, and would make Cloud Cuckoo Land a more expansive and attractive area for families.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Robert.W

CCL at the moment dosen't really seem to have any decent attractions at the moment... I mean, the Cuckoo Cars Driving School has absolutely zero appeal in my opinion... the area needs a coaster just to make it noticeable on the park maps, and so more people might venture into the area.

Justin

I don't think it even needs a coaster, just some decent flats (family and thrill) as Burniel suggested. If Spinball was to be removed and relocated to make way for the Cbeebies expansion, then that may be an option.