The World of David Walliams

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Robert.W

I think I agree with what you said in the Dungeon topic, Justin. They could separate the CATCF building and Burger Kitchen into a separate theme area (possibly to be added as part of The Towers maybe). For the actual retheme of CCL... it's maybe possible that they will still do the Walliams World idea, but how much sense would it be to do all this for one year? I'm thinking they'll do the Dungeon and retheme of Burger Kitchen for 2019 and we'll get a retheme of the rest of CCL to something more light hearted like the Walliams theme for 2020.

Justin

If we were to take the Gangsta Granny idea, and it wasn't to use the Charlie building, then I could see it going in the old Ice Age building. It could be rethemed to a simulator type attraction, similar to that seen in Shrek in London!
The Nemesis Fox

A yellow tent has popped up by Sub Terra so it looks like 2019 is going to be a big year.

Who knows this could also be a trick, both buildings could be used or none, we’ll have to wait.
Coaster Chall

Personally, I think that 2019 will introduce Walliams World. However I personally would prefer an original Fairytale Village style themed area rather than an IP. I havent got anything against IP's but Fairytale Village opens up more possibilities.

Twirling Toadstool could come back, Charlie can be revamped with projections and a little projected water show finale and other attractions such as Wobble World, the Theatre and Nickelodeon: Outta Control can be used for new attractions and maybe even reposition Frog Hopper into CBeebies Land so that they can use the theatre for a live show, Wobble World to become a permanent House Of Monsters with a tweaked storyline to fit the area, then the old Coaster Corner becomes a water coaster.
jackf1tz

Frog Hopper could just go to where it used to be before Ice Age 4D closed, as I don't believe it would suit CBeebies all that well.
Coaster Chall

That's right in front of Nickelodeon: Outta Control though isn't it cause I really want that building being used again. I place it next to it and in front of another exterior
jmed

A few people have touched on this, and it's something I remember from an old forum, but I really think spooky is the way to go. Reason being...
  • GW and DF - It doesn't make sense having 2 separate areas. Duel is surely due to be replaced or removed, why not focus on one large spooky themed area.
  • HEX and The Towers would naturally link DF and CCL to make one large area within the towers boundary walls.
  • The currently colourful, but easily painted building facades could easily be themed with vines are to give the impression of the old town which has been taken over by the ever spreading 13 theme. It could even be told in with a tag story that the 13 forest is creeping to overrun the towers linked to the Hex curse, possible reboot for a few rides as part of it. That would make the whole area perfect for Scarefest.
  • Most rides could be easily rethememed; Charlie and the cinema. Even an indoor coaster eventually with the entrance off CCL but ride building behind using the old coaster corner area, (indoor coaster would solve the noise issue which led to coaster corners closure originally).
  • I'm not keen on IPs, they're often dated before they even begin and only get worse over time. Yes they're good for marketing initially but they just don't get done well.
  • Potential expansion into coaster corner in the future.
  • The archway before you reach hex just seems the perfect entrance to the new area .
Previous post was in 2014 in the future of coaster corner forum. That explains the ideas more!
Doublethink

Please not more dark stuff. Is something fun too much to ask?
We already have:
X sector- dark/twisted gritty sci-fi theme
Forbidden valley- dark alien invasion theme
Wickerman plaza- dark cult/festival theme
Dark Forrest- creepy forest taking over theme
Leaving only mutiny bay and Cbebbies as anything non dark themed.
Robert.W

Dark themes are too easy for Merlin. I want something which has more depth, something of a quality we haven't seen since the early Tussauds era. Not just a cheap, spooky overlay of what's already there.

Doublethink

Robert.W wrote:Dark themes are too easy for Merlin. I want something which has more depth, something of a quality we haven't seen since the early Tussauds era. Not just a cheap, spooky overlay of what's already there.
Yep dark is inexpensive to do because you can often just buy old bits of junk in for theming and a lack of painting or TLC doesn't show. Not really a suprise that Merlin loves it these days.

Saying that the themeing around Wicker Man was excellent and I hope they put as much effort into the CCL revamp.
Justin

I'm quite happy for a dark theme to continue to Burger Kitchen and Charlie. This seems more logical if The Dungeons were to go there and have CCL as a separate area. I must agree though, I would like a light or magical/explorer theme to come to CCL.
Robert.W

I'm actually a bit confused as to why the CCL Burger Kitchen still exists tbh. The condition that the building itself is in is terrible, and the gaps where you can see around the edges of the building shouldn't be there at all. As for The Dungeon – I genuinely don't want it to happen. It's not the type of attraction that Alton Towers need at the moment and the location couldn't be any worse as it'll just make the CCL area seem even more mismatched. CCL needs a drastic overhaul, but The Dungeons can't be part of it in order for it to work. 

Bert

Dark themes are not a problem in my eyes, They can feel very different. For example compare Wicker Man and X-Sector, you would say both areas have 'dark themes' but the feeling they give is distinct. Now compare this to other Dungeons, Dark Forest, Forbidden Valley each of them have their own distinct feel. I would take a Dungeons tavern over CCL Burger Kitchen any day. CCL Burger Kitchen is very cheesy, dated and tacky.

Compare this to Thorpe where they have rides like Saw and TWD:TR where they are based off American Horror IP's and that's when it becomes a problem.
[Insert Signature Here]
The Nemesis Fox

However, although the themes are similar the experience, especially on Saw, is incredible. Soley because of the indoor section and use of the storyline, when done right it can be pulled off.

Alton need happier themes in order to balance the park. Thorpe can pull Swarm, DGBT, Living Nightmare, TWD:TR & Saw off because there is also Tidal Wave, Stealth, Colossus and Inferno with more pleasant themes. It is an art of balance.
Stevieg1993

Keep the theme, but make it look abandoned, have it so the Dark Forest has taken over, so include trees and branches. Just a place that looks run down and isolated but that's apart of the theme. Completely take down Charlie and build a junior suspended coaster in its place. Then get rid of Rita and replace it with an Intamin multi launch coaster which starts in the Dark Forest and goes into the newly themed CCL.
Robert.W

Nope. No more dark themes please.

Dungeon-X-Smile

You'd have to admit, that would look amazing. The aesthetics of a nature lead overrun section of a park would be so eerily awesome. Whenever I see an old, abandoned theme park, it looks absolutely stunning. Maybe they could do a sort of mix, where nature has overrun the area, but instead of it only being just the Wraiths, maybe some more light themed magical forest creatures could come out of the woods. Then you get the amazing aesthetics while keeping the more child orientated aim.
TheBeornen

It would be an interesting idea if it was the antithesis to the Dark Forrest like a similar theme but it's like an opposing force of good. It means it could be a brighter area but with a theme linked to its neighbour area, and it would be nice to expand the lore of the wraiths of the Dark Forrest which aren't as developed as other park areas.

Would also work nice with Twirling Toadstool returning into a land with a light fantasy tone. 
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Steff15

As a mum I have to say I like that CCL is aimed at a slightly younger audience. When visiting with a family with various wants from the park CCL is a great break after Dark Forest for the older ones. My little boy loves the very outdated needing a paint job carousel and after starting the day at CBeebies, he can go to CCL while I enjoy Rita and Thirteen and he doesn’t have to stand around waiting too long.

I’d love to see this area remain light for a younger audience, just improved some. I’m not fussed about an IP to be honest because as mentioned it becomes out dated before it’s really taken off. Charlie needs to be revamped for the kids it’s so sad seeing it all hidden away at the moment. There’s so much that could be done with the area and needs to be done soon!
Justin

I still stand by a magical world, similar to Diagon Alley, but without the Harry Potter IP.

Source: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Diagon_Alley

So much fun could be had with the area, and it would tie in nicely with The Towers!