The World of David Walliams

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Coaster Chall

I definitely think that CCL will be closed off by the first week of Scarefest and I am starting to think that 2020 will bring Paddington's World. But, I would like the park to do a closing ceremony because with a possible IP coming in, I think that the days of Land Of Make Believe/Cred Street/Cloud Cuckoo Land should be celebrated in a way... Like old merch and recreating old signs for past rides and lands, etc.
GregH94

Remember this rumour? Turns out it’s actually happening! I for one approve as it’s an appropriate replacement for the area before it. Hopefully we see some planning permission soon if there’s meant to be a new ride in there (presumably a dark ride) 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/whats-on/alton-towers-world-david-walliams-3434435
Morgan

Well, this is a "surprise"! The Walliams idea itself isn't really shocking, but I just don't really feel that this is... right.

It's no secret that CCL has been a very quiet area over the past few seasons and has clearly needed work, so in some sense, this is good news as it means that this seemingly-forgotten area is getting work. But the issue is that it's another IP investment! It's of popular opinion that the original concepts (ie Nemesis) that Alton Towers do are much more enjoyable as it feels so much more unique, and therefore fun. You can't find a huge, terrain coaster themed around a million year old alien elsewhere. With an IP, you're essentially seeing something that's already been done.
Doing an IP investment- unless it's a timeless property (whether Walliams is timeless is to be argued)- is a really tricky thing to get right as it can be incredibly polarising to the audience. If you're unfamiliar with the stories going in, the attraction likely won't hit the mark, and that can feel very dissappointing.

I find this frustrating as the fate of CCL has been a hot topic for years now, but now that it's an IP, it kinda feels... pointless. From a personal stand-point, I (and I imagine many others, especially the older members) don't really have any connection with the Walliams stories, and such this prime real estate feels like a wasted oppurtunity. We can only hope that the production value of this attraction(s) means that the experience is enjoyable, regardless of guest.
Piplup2003

I don't think it's the worst thing they could have done but tbh I'm struggling to think of rides that'll fit the themes. Only thing I can think of us possibly a Zamperla Air Race themed around Grandpas Great Escape.
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.
Dan

As reported on TowersTimes social media, Alton Towers have announced that The World of David Walliams will be replacing Cloud Cuckoo Land in 2020, bringing some of David Walliams' best loved books to life.

The new land will feature a headline attraction, thought to be in the former Wobble World building, as well as a number of smaller attractions. There is also thought to be themed rooms being added to the Resort hotels.

Who's excited to see The World of David Walliams at Alton Towers next spring?

Check out our full article here.
T0mPr1ce

Any ideas on the dark ride?
Coaster Chall

Something like Popcorn Revenge (Alterface) could be nice, or maybe a traditional dark ride, like Snorri Touren at Europa Park, themed around Gangsta Granny or Billionaire Boy
Piplup2003

Im laughing so hard, look at the blue coaster on the left, Nemesis you okay mate? :lol
Coaster Chall

Piplup2003 wrote:Im laughing so hard, look at the blue coaster on the left, Nemesis you okay mate? :lol
Don't tell me there's a Nemesis repaint on the way? :lol
Dom

I’m kind of really excited by this. I think Cloud Cuckoo Land needed someone love and attention and I think this will be the perfect thing. I’m intrigued to find out what this headline ride is
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Good to see that my "wild bit of speculation" a year and a half ago paid off...!
wamdue

Piplup2003

wamdue wrote:Image
I'm in a lesson, I'm trying so hard not to laugh :lol
DerpyQuark

I’m hyped for this area. I think this is a good move on Alton Towers’ part, mainly due to because David Walliams’ children’s books are very popular, and that they have a reason to attract the 7-10yrs crowd. Yes, it is another IP but at least it’s a good one that’ll be popular with kids. 
Swarm Chris

A full break down of the information currently provided by Alton Towers can be found on TowersTimes News.

I think it's great that new life will be put into this area of the park. With the rumour having been floating around for a while, I wonder what role the installation of The Alton Towers Dungeon has played in the areas creation/renovation.
GalRides

I know these forums are traditionally for serious thoughts on future and past changes and so on but I’m pretty excited for a Come Fly With Me RMC come to the UK don't you think??

But my serious thoughts on this is it was totally different to what I thought it was going to be, but I'm grateful it wasn’t just a repaint and a new name.
Last edited by Dan on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
wamdue

Come Fly With Me IP is too generic to be used as themeing ;) :)
Dan

Can we please try and stay on topic with discussion around what The World of David Walliams will actually consist of, rather than referring to his comedic work that is in no way related to his books.

Thank you :)
wamdue

ok so I found a list of his books

The Boy in the Dress
Mr Stink
Billionaire Boy
Gangsta Granny
Ratburger
Demon Dentist
Awful Auntie
Grandpa's Great Escape
The Midnight Gang
Bad Dad
The Ice Monster
Fing

Not gonna lie I know the plot of none of those, I mean the first I can guess the plot of, so we can still have that crossdressing coaster, I talked about earlier.

Grandpa's Great Escape sounds like a junior coaster type thing. Demon Dentist could have some fun themeing, as you travel inside a mouth, trying to miss the instruments of the dentist
Coaster Chall

I have also been thinking Grandpa's Great Escape could be a themed flat ride in the Toadstool site. The headline attraction, I think will be a dark ride travelling through scenes of all the books