The World of David Walliams

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Morgan

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with the CCL redevelopment idea (it makes a lot of sense), it could be a point that with House of Monsters being the same style of attraction as The Dungeon, the decision might've been made to axe it so that area wasn't overflowing with Dungeonesque attractions.
Robert.W

Justin wrote:I wouldn't call it low budget. Having done a lot of Dungeons attractions, it is comparable to a lot of them. London obviously has a lot more, but that is the signature attraction.
I mean more in terms of the construction / set up of the attraction. I can’t really compare the Alton Towers Dungeon to any of the other dungeons though – they may all be built / set up in a similar way.

Coaster Chall

I do think that the removal of House of Monsters is possibly for a CCL Retheme (with an IP). Maybe not David Walliams, but I'd like to see something original or in terms of IP's, something like Aardman Animation or Doctor Who (BBC connection with Cbeebies Land) or another IP
Coaster Chall

Maybe they'll do something with the Nickelodeon Outta Control building and combine it with buildings next to it...if it's a storage building, maybe build a new storage site. Also, I think that Ice Age 4D was originally closed for future development, so something is definitely up with that
DerpyQuark

Coaster Chall wrote:I do think that the removal of House of Monsters is possibly for a CCL Retheme (with an IP). Maybe not David Walliams, but I'd like to see something original or in terms of IP's, something like Aardman Animation or Doctor Who (BBC connection with Cbeebies Land) or another IP
I would love to see a Doctor Who area at AT! A land based on one of my favourite TV shows, in my favourite theme park, would be amazing! Weirdly, I’ve been thinking about a Doctor Who land at the proposed London Resort. But I don’t want AT to become BBC Land. That’s the only negative thing I have against this idea.
Robert.W

I could be underestimating it’s popularity, but I don’t think a  Doctor Who themed area would be a very wise investment. 

Coaster Chall

Imagine if someone at Towers is reading this and see Doctor Who Land and think "We've got our 2020 project" lol
Justin

As much as I love Doctor Who, I'd hate to see an area based around the series at Alton. It wouldn't feel right for Alton.
dmmosh1

Coaster Chall wrote:Imagine if someone at Towers is reading this and see Doctor Who Land and think "We've got our 2020 project" lol
That would would be amazeballs if they made a Doctor Who area, it's something I've thought about for a few years now. 
In my mind, I thought it would be lit if they moved Spinball to there, add speakers and play the Who theme round the track and use the old 3D cinema with a short Who film would fill out the area so well making a good family area. Also the potential for Doctor Who horror mazes are endless; Daleks, Weeping Angel, Silence take your pick.
I'd love for this to happen but I think the IP for Who might be high and it seems like since The Dungeons are there then that theming is going to spread to make a giant land from there to Th13teen.
Coaster Chall

A big themed area stretching from the Dungeons to Th13teen would be great. Doctor Who Land with that BBC IP connection is available (especially with CBeebies already in).
stevebrown

I think a Horrible Histories area would fit in well.  You have the Dungeon already based on funny gory history so HH would work well.  Yes it's BBC but not a big well known BBC brand like Doctor Who and many will know the books more than the TV programme.
Coaster Chall

stevebrown wrote:I think a Horrible Histories area would fit in well.  You have the Dungeon already based on funny gory history so HH would work well.  Yes it's BBC but not a big well known BBC brand like Doctor Who and many will know the books more than the TV programme.
That would be amazing! A Horrible Histories area is perfect to incorporate the Towers, Hex and The Dungeons into this area, as well as retheming CCL.
Coaster Chall

Now, I'm not confirming this because this was just said by someone on a Facebook post somewhere, but apparently, speculation says that Cloud Cuckoo Land will apparently be closed off after the summer holidays. The big rumour is Lego.

I'm not confirming or denying this, cause it could be absolutely rubbish. But, what if it was... Driving School, CCL Theatre, Wobble World (most likely House of Monsters), new attractions on Nickelodeon Outta Control and Frog Hopper's sites, possible family coaster in coaster corner (future expansion), rethemed carousel...I'd be happy with that as an investment. Obviously its a Merlin investment, not an Alton Towers Resort investment (and this ties in with next year's Legoland Water Park at Gardaland) but, I think that with the ATD (which I do like) it was nicely presented and exceeded my expectations (just). I think a Lego area would be perfect for Towers, not Merlin Entertainments, and it fits the family market CCL aimed for in the first place. Now, we'll finally have Cbeebies Land and a Lego Area competing for the families and that area of the park will be busy again.
Morgan

The Lego rumour has been knocking about for a few years now and I always thought it was a bit far-fetched, but with the recently announced waterpark over at Gardaland, it seems it could hold some weight. I dunno though, it just doesn't seem right for Alton Towers.
Unfortunately we wouldn't see a family coaster in the old Coaster Corner, seeing as the Resort aren't allowed to build anything on that site- which is why MMM is all in portacabins!
Coaster Chall

Morgan wrote:The Lego rumour has been knocking about for a few years now and I always thought it was a bit far-fetched, but with the recently announced waterpark over at Gardaland, it seems it could hold some weight. I dunno though, it just doesn't seem right for Alton Towers.
Unfortunately we wouldn't see a family coaster in the old Coaster Corner, seeing as the Resort aren't allowed to build anything on that site- which is why MMM is all in portacabins!
That is a shame nothing can be built in the Coaster Corner area! A Legoland area would be a strong family area. Can anything be built in the Nickelodeon Outta Control building? And also, what can be built there that would be good for Lego? Because, for example, having the Twirling Toadstool site replaced by one of those towers you pull yourself up at some Lego parks, or a Gerstlauer Sky Fly like the Ninjago one, what about that Outta Control site?
cookiee_munster

Morgan wrote:The Lego rumour has been knocking about for a few years now and I always thought it was a bit far-fetched, but with the recently announced waterpark over at Gardaland, it seems it could hold some weight. I dunno though, it just doesn't seem right for Alton Towers.
Well that's poop! That coaster corner space is pretty big and crying out for some attention! - shame something like a dark ride can't go in that area.
As much as im all for more original/unique ideas for the park, a Lego theme I'd be up for! :)
Justin

Personally, I would very much doubt the area would have a Lego theme. If they were to use another IP then it would need to be one that will stand the test of time.

CBeebies works well as they have different characters and brands within the area to rejuvenate attractions. Nina's Science Lab has recently been removed, so no doubt something new will take its place in the future, therefore refreshing the area.

With Chessington, The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom work well and are quickly becoming classics. We must remember that the story of The Gruffalo is 20 years old this year.

I doubt Cloud Cuckoo Land will have any major changes in terms of its appearance, therefore whatever IP/theme takes its place will need to overlay the existing infrastructure. Personally, I think it will take on a similar style to CBeebies with multiple characters and themes, be it an IP or MMM conception :)
cookiee_munster

Justin wrote:Personally, I would very much doubt the area would have a Lego theme. If they were to use another IP then it would need to be one that will stand the test of time.
Are you nuts!?!? :p Lego has been going for about a hundered million billion years now! It wipes the floor with the likes of all the stuff CBeebies barfs out every few months! :p
Justin

It won't be Lego :P Wrong area, wrong park, wrong IP in my eyes.
cookiee_munster

Justin wrote:It won't be Lego :P Wrong area, wrong park, wrong IP in my eyes.
I do have to agree. It's a bit too high end for the park.
Does anyone know if its really true that nothing can be built in the coaster corner area of the park???