The World of David Walliams

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dungeon-X-Smile

Justin wrote:I still stand by a magical world, similar to Diagon Alley, but without the Harry Potter IP.

Source: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Diagon_Alley

So much fun could be had with the area, and it would tie in nicely with The Towers!
I really love this idea!! I'd love to see CCL become a sort of magical town, it would look so amazing, especially with the towers as the backdrop. Everything about Alton Towers seems so magical, yet somehow they don't have a light hearted, fantasy themed section. If they did this, I'd love to see a cross breed of the wands at Universal with an AR app to bring the magic to life. Another element I think could possibly make a magical retheme of CCL mindblowing would be an overarching story, something that tied it to the castle, like Hex. Also, they could design the story to explain an halloween festival which would appear only during Scarefest to transform the area at night, so that when halloween came around, it could become a terrifying scarezone, while still being able to be kid friendly throughout the rest of the year. If they paid enough attention to detail and went above and beyond with theming, they could have an area that would just be beyond anything else in England at the moment. Wicker Man has shown their ability to create and tell engaging stories, imagine if they themed an entire area to the level of quality shown in the preshow of that ride. 
Coaster Chall

I read somewhere on Instagram that Alton Towers are announcing 2019 today. Not heard anything else though?
Doublethink

Coaster Chall wrote:I read somewhere on Instagram that Alton Towers are announcing 2019 today. Not heard anything else though?
Do you have a souce on that? Can't see anything on Towers' Instagram or Twitter.
Uttox83

I would like to see AT invest heavily in this area because it has the potential to be great. After all, Towers is suppose to be a family attraction for all ages. I think CBeebies Land has halted its progress. AT just needs to forget about CATCF and come up with their own idea. I would rather have Toyland Tours be dug up and reopened than have the building be mothballed! The bones are there, AT just needs to pump the cash into it.     
Uttox83

Justin wrote:
Phild94 wrote:I think the Storybook land is nice, but the only recently removed a very similar concept to put in CBeebies land. Removing the Storybook work, old Macdonald etc.

A really interesting theme would be to go very steampunk for CCL, loads of smoke, steam and whistles, but obviously not another dark theme.

It could make for some great performance opportunities and all the rides could stay, but with a retheme to each.

CATCF > Robot Factory
Frog Hopper > Jet Packs
Driving School > Steam Engines
Ice Age > Slapstick Steampunk Show
Carousel > Mechanical horses

I don’t know if any theme park which has executed this idea right and would make for a great experience, especially with actors and a full facade retheme.
Simple solution here! Tie it in with Sir Algernon's adventures. You then have a themed hotel without no effort and a brand new area using an existing theme!
Nice idea and kids would love it! 
Coaster Chall

Doublethink wrote:
Coaster Chall wrote:I read somewhere on Instagram that Alton Towers are announcing 2019 today. Not heard anything else though
Do you have a sauce on that? Can't see anything on towers Instagram or Twitter.
Coastergram told me on Instagram on one of his posts that Alton Towers are announcing today.
Doublethink

abigsmurf

Now for the wait to see if it's a new ride or Dungeons.

Could they fit out a new ride in six months? The 35 year old ride system can't be in good shape and would need replacing too. They could easily put a floor over the channel and fit out sets for a dungeons tour in that time.

Guess the hype/marketing will start after Halloween and we'll get hints at the direction they're going. 
Coaster Chall

I agree. I think during Scarefest they'll start marketing the ride or area or whatever it is. If it was an IP I'd want the new Shaun the Sheep Dark Ride concept from Sally Corporation and then CCL could become Aardman Animation Courtyard cause that IP works. If original, I agree with a Diagon Alley type area, cause the theming around Enchanted Village would prompt Alton Towers to extend on this.
Justin

abigsmurf wrote:Now for the wait to see if it's a new ride or Dungeons.

Could they fit out a new ride in six months? The 35 year old ride system can't be in good shape and would need replacing too. They could easily put a floor over the channel and fit out sets for a dungeons tour in that time.

Guess the hype/marketing will start after Halloween and we'll get hints at the direction they're going. 
Merlin Magic Making was able to turn around Bubbleworks into The Gruffalo in just over a closed season, so I can see the same happening with Charlie, more so as it has been SBNO.
Coaster Clan

I believe they possibly will branch out on the dark forest area, seeing as Cbeebies Land was added in, I believe CCL isn't needed in the park anymore. Adding on to this, with the dungeons coming in 2019, all AT need to do is do the exact same thing with Ug Land, make the buildings seem overgrown, make the area a bit darker, and hell they don't even need to remove rides. What I could see is them adding the two new drop towers which have been leaked in the area as well as changingthe old theater into a 4D experience where riders experience the 'Forest Taking Over'. I believe I did say this theory before on this page ages ago, but I feel like I should re-visit the idea seeing as the dungeons are being added, making it a more valid argument.
'Sit Back, It's Fright Time!'
TowersJuice

Walliam's World -
Pretty sure this was a concept at one point from Alton Towers then it got scrapped, but I think for next year (2020) there will be CCL retheme to David Walliams' books: Billionaire Boy, Mr Stink, Rat Burger, Demon Dentist, Gangsta Granny etc. Here are the following rethemes and additions:
- Raj's Shop - The famous character from most of his stories Raj, who plays as a comic relief character owning a corner store, should have a souvenir shop very similar to the one he has in the books
- Carousel - Not sure for name, but would be suited the characters in his books, an idea could be that the horses are replaced with aeroplanes like in the book Grampa's Great Escape
- Frank's Fabulous Car Ride - This could be themed to potentially the Mini that the dad in Bad Dad drives or could just stay the same but with David Walliams' characters around instead of the weird animal characters they still have
- Removal of Frog Hopper, due to the revealed 2 new drop towers added to Cbeebies Land 
- Mr Stink's Pong - This could be a Tilt-a-whirl replacing Frog Hopper's area, which now thinking about it could have some "hilarious" voice overs which include puns and a certain sound or too - obviously themed to the book Mr Stink
- Wheel of Walliams or Walliams' Wheel of Books - A Ferris Wheel to replace Twirling Toadstools old area and you could potentially see to the end of the dark forest when on the very top of the carousel, themed towards the characters of his books with probably some theming structure/s surrounding it for examples statues or cut outs of some of the characters
- David Walliams shows - Shows including Demon Dentist, Rat Burger and more in what was the Cloud Cuckoo Theatre
It seems a lot for one year but this area could really be expanded whereas the current one can't. This is definitely a suitable theme as it is both fitting for children and profitable. CCO is believed by most as a dead area compared to the rest, with Cbeebies Land constantly expanding, constantly getting more visitors, CCO is going down and down, with this new theme the visitor rate would shoot up with many guests in that area probably. I'm not an expert so I'm probably not sure whether this would work or if it is possible but the first time I walked into CCO (just being honest) the colours and music made me feel ill and kind of dizzy, but I just came off Th13teen which is kind of the disorientating. Anyway in my opinion this is CCO's best possible retheme, reply if you have any more ideas!
DerpyQuark

That sounds like a great idea for a land! It would appeal to the 6-12 yrs market well, and revive that area of the park. Just add the Dungeon and the Burger Kitchen (with a refurbishment) to the Towers area, and that would sort out any theming problems.
Only problem, would the Ferris Wheel go above the trees?
Hamlet

Been in the park today with my three children (all under 7) and although they loved Driving School CCL comes across as a sad and depressing place for both adults and children.

It’s such a shame. It was an important part of my childhood memories of AT in the late 80s and early 90s.

Also, what is inside all of those large derelict looking buildings that make up the old Talbot Street/LOMB/Cred Street shp fronts? Such a waste...
Coaster Chall

I think its less likely that CCL will be rethemed by 2020, however I wanted to throw my own idea in the mix...

Enchanted Springs, an expansion to the story of the Enchanted Village!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adz
Admin
Admin

With House of Monsters confirmed not to be returning for Scarefest and the new family maze going into Mutiny Bay, this does leave a large building free in Cloud Cuckoo Land. It's all a bit convenient when this is clearly the next area to be redeveloped based on its current condition. 

In addition to that, there were lots of rumours of a David Walliams based area/ride, These sort of disappeared when The Dungeon was announced but could it have been that they leaked out a lot earlier than was expected? Complete speculation on my part but I wouldn't be too surprised if we did see an IP like that take over this area for 2020. 
Robert.W

I’d like to think The Alton Towers Dungeon won't last beyond 2020 – as in, that will hopefully be it’s last season at the park. If they do go for a retheme of Cloud Cuckoo Land, I can see the possibility of a two phase project. A new themed area for 2020 taking up the current area of CCL (could also be a convenient way to celebrate the parks 40th). Then an expansion a year or two later – possibly as an SW, since it does fit the expected schedule – onto The Dungeons site with a new ride, which would ideally be a modern dark ride of some description.

But to be honest, most of that is probably just wishful thinking. Because we all know what Merlin are like :/

Justin

Robert.W wrote:I’d like to think The Alton Towers Dungeon won't last beyond 2020 – as in, that will hopefully be it’s last season at the park.
Personally, I think it is here to stay for many years to come and I love it. Slightly off the topic, but I also think the demise of House of Monsters is partly due to most of the team now being in The Dungeons. It of course could be because of the rumoured retheme of CCL? Who knows, but I would have expected one more year from it.
Robert.W

There are a lot of people speculating that it may just be a placeholder attraction because of its temporary / low budget nature (the way the attraction has been created, not necessarily reflective of the experience it offers). That would make some sense in that it would allow Alton Towers and MMM some time to develop a longer term solution for that attraction and the wider CCL area.

Justin

I wouldn't call it low budget. Having done a lot of Dungeons attractions, it is comparable to a lot of them. London obviously has a lot more, but that is the signature attraction.

Cloud Cuckoo Land is in need of work for sure, but I am sure the Dungeons will no longer form any part of any retheme.