Ride Closures/Removals in 2016

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Robert.H

I do hope hex reopens some time in the summer it was one of my favourite non-roller coaster rides. It's music was also pretty cool too.
Laura2084

We visited in Thursday 2nd June and all the rides mentioned above were closed. There was also the ride by oblivion which I didn't no was goin as haven't been for two years, wibbly wobbly was closed also along with driving school, hex, sub tera, rip saw (now has a inflatable there) log flume which I did no about, all the gates were shut to cut through CBeebies to sonic spin ball now renamed spin whizzer (summt like that) fast track offices was all closed an then gone up in price, my son who was now tall enough for big rides wasn't impressed that he had to que as normal as no single rider que's as I had to be with the two little kids so they hardly went on anything as had to wait around for him as couldn't leave him by him self. Was busy there too with all these rides closed what else will be coming there I couldnt see them doin anything while there
S.J_O'Grady

Laura2084 wrote:We visited in Thursday 2nd June and all the rides mentioned above were closed. There was also the ride by oblivion which I didn't no was goin as haven't been for two years, wibbly wobbly was closed also along with driving school, hex, sub tera, rip saw (now has a inflatable there) log flume which I did no about, all the gates were shut to cut through CBeebies to sonic spin ball now renamed spin whizzer (summt like that) fast track offices was all closed an then gone up in price, my son who was now tall enough for big rides wasn't impressed that he had to que as normal as no single rider que's as I had to be with the two little kids so they hardly went on anything as had to wait around for him as couldn't leave him by him self. Was busy there too with all these rides closed what else will be coming there I couldnt see them doin anything while there
Welcome to the forums Laura2084,

Submission was removed at the end of the 2013 season. Charlie, Sub-Terra, Hex, Pirates Show, Wobble World and Driving School are all closed for TLC and it is not known when they will reopen. Ripsaw and The Flume have been permanently removed and The Flume's site will be home to SW8 in 2018. Sonic has been rethemed back to Spinball Whizzer as the SEGA contract has not been renewed for this year. Some of the single rider queues have indeed been removed as well.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
ThemeCrafter264

Which ones (Rita/ nemesis)? For srq
S.J_O'Grady

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Which ones (Rita/ nemesis)? For srq
I think it's just Nemesis, Rita, and Sub-Terra (even though it's now shut)
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Morgan

Nemesis and Rita don't have one, but Spinball, The Smiler, Oblivion and Th13teen do.
mark

With at least 5 rides closed for refurb,and the removal of Ripsaw,which was the best flat there,that only leaves The Blade,Enterprise,and Twirling Toadstool.For a park of Altons fame,this is not good enough.The flats are old hat and travelling fairs have more uptodate rides then these.Othere parks have more flats then this,and Dont all reley on their coasters.Im not anti Alton,but some decisions are not the right ones.If you get rid of old rides,as a park to keep fresh,youre supposed to add new ones.
Robert.H

mark wrote:With at least 5 rides closed for refurb, and the removal of Ripsaw,which was the best flat there, that only leaves The Blade, Enterprise, and Twirling Toadstool.For a park of Alton's fame,this is not good enough.
I do agree that the amount of flat rides is unforgivable but you forgot to list: Marauders Mayhem, Frog Hopper, Heave Ho, Gallopers Carousel and lets not forget all the rides Cbeebies Land, the water rides and Duel
mark

The rides that you kindly pointed out to me that I forgot arnt exactley spectacular or groundbreaking.Some new flats are needed.Look at the ones at Thorpe and Drayton Manor.As an idea,why dont they install an area and bring back some travelling rides,like they did when they first opened.I remember the big slide and the rides from being a nipper.
Justin

With regards to the closures, I only really miss Hex and Ripsaw. The others I didn't really bother with when they were open, but then again I tend to focus on the Big Six anyway!

Saying that I really hope Sub-Terra opens again!
Jammydodger

With summer pretty much here, I am really disappointed that its becoming more and more likely that the TLC program was just a facade for shutting a big portion of their rides. The fact they're shut doesn't bother me, its just the transparency. Don't dangle a carrot and hint things like Hex getting a makeover, or CatCF getting a re theme, or just suspiciously completely ignore a rides existence (sub-terra) and then not mention them for the rest of the season after making such a big deal over revamping the park. I understand these things weren't explicitly mentioned, but they are certainly heavily implied.
S.J_O'Grady

People are going to have some high expectations when these attractions reopen (I know I will). To justify having them shut for so long there'd need to be a visible improvement or they're just heading towards more and more people losing trust in them.
tcw1993

The Sky Sailor wrote:Looking at posts to AT on Facebook, it's nothing but complaint after complaint after complaint. I'm kind of hoping that the public outrage might push them to reopen the rides sooner. While I don't want them to rush the TLC, there's only so much that can be done and it surely can't take all season. (plus Sub Terra was closed for half of last year too!)
Is there any specific reason why exactly N-ST has been closed and was closed best part of last season? It's always seemed fairly reliable up until now?
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Aidan Lowe

tcw1993 wrote:Is there any specific reason why exactly N-ST has been closed and was closed best part of last season? It's always seemed fairly reliable up until now?
The reason it was initially shut was for a restraint change which didn't work out well. Was there shortly after the new restraining system was in place and it was havoc for the ride hosts. It closed again and its been closed since, now though its hopefully due to an overhaul.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Aidan Lowe

Someone on Twitter tweeted it to TPW but Ripsaw did end up at Heide Park for spares for Aqua Spin, they sent a picture of the gondola to Shawn.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc