Ride Closures/Removals in 2016

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MakoMania

Gosh the complaining in this thread, if you don't like the park then don't go! Simple :)

Although I would be dissapointed to see these 6 attractions closed I can fully see the reasoning behind it and ultimatley if that's what is required to keep Alton going then so be it. We can see that they're not just fobbing us of with the TLC because they've already repainted Nemesis. I would expect many of these closed attractions to be enhanced and open up again in 2017 for all to enjoy!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Luviico

I love the park that's the problem! I would hate to see it on a steady downhill slide.. I don't mean they would fob us off with TLC as I do believe this is a positive step and was needed years ago and that things will actually be done. What I mean is they might not tell the exact truth about the flume, it wouldn't be shut for TLC surely as they wouldn't waste any money on an old ride nearing the end of its life, if it is shut I think it will be down to saving money. And then depending on how 2016 goes if the flume is shut I think there is a good chance it will never reopen.

I would still visit the park this year despite any closures as the rides rumoured to be shut I don't go on on a standard visit anyway! I'm just worried about the overall affect on the park it would have regarding the general public. Us enthusiasts might visit regardless but would the GP spend an extortionate amount for a reduced lineup? I doubt it!
MakoMania

Luviico wrote:I love the park that's the problem! I would hate to see it on a steady downhill slide.. I don't mean they would fob us off with TLC as I do believe this is a positive step and was needed years ago and that things will actually be done. What I mean is they might not tell the exact truth about the flume, it wouldn't be shut for TLC surely as they wouldn't waste any money on an old ride nearing the end of its life, if it is shut I think it will be down to saving money. And then depending on how 2016 goes if the flume is shut I think there is a good chance it will never reopen.

I would still visit the park this year despite any closures as the rides rumoured to be shut I don't go on on a standard visit anyway! I'm just worried about the overall affect on the park it would have regarding the general public. Us enthusiasts might visit regardless but would the GP spend an extortionate amount for a reduced lineup? I doubt it!
I wasn't referring to you specifically :) sorry if I was a bit unclear!
Sawboss

I heard Hex and Driving School are closed due to extensive renovations on the ruins, don't know how true that is but that makes they're closures more understandable.

Yes I realise that's a rumour about a rumour. :P
allijukes19

I know it's very annoying (the rides closing), however in the long term its aiming to make Alton Towers a better and more modern place, maybe the flume closing is for the better. Last time I rode it in May it just seemed really run down and old, I think a Mack water coaster or a modern water flume would be a great fit especially if they theme it to Mutiny Bay!
Stan.H

I definitely have to agree, the Flume now days is only ever busy on hot days, and every other day its got a 30 minute wait at the maximum. I personally think that the Flume uses up way to much space for the type of ride that it is, it is just going round in circles 10 minutes, but got 3 Or 2 drops, and a pretty lame 'dark-ride' section. Yes, the Flume may be popular with families, but I think that a more modern water ride, or Mack water coaster would appeal to many more people; and quite possibly wouldn't require as much real estate. Or a Valhalla style of ride would fit great into AT. I'd also like to see Charlie &TCF being removed fairly soon, as that ride is utter garbage, and a more up to date dark ride would suit that area better. Do you guys agree?
ponder

MakoMania wrote:Gosh the complaining in this thread, if you don't like the park then don't go! Simple :)

Although I would be dissapointed to see these 6 attractions closed I can fully see the reasoning behind it and ultimatley if that's what is required to keep Alton going then so be it. We can see that they're not just fobbing us of with the TLC because they've already repainted Nemesis. I would expect many of these closed attractions to be enhanced and open up again in 2017 for all to enjoy!

I think the complaints are fair. To be clear, I don't believe these decisions are 'to keep Alton going', these decisions have been made to appease share holders. Unfortunately, the nature of capitalism is that delivering strong results to the city is often the most important thing, and Merlin can ill afford for their share prices to drop further.

By reducing hours and operating costs by closing a number of attractions for the season, they make considerable savings which shareholders will view as giving them more chance to see a return on their investment.

As for not going - I shan't be visiting Alton Towers this year, personally - as taking the ride line-up, reduction in staff numbers and drop in opening days/hours in to consideration, along with yet another hike in entry price - I simply don't view it as value for money.
MakoMania

ponder wrote:As for not going - I shan't be visiting Alton Towers this year, personally - as taking the ride line-up, reduction in staff numbers and drop in opening days/hours in to consideration, along with yet another hike in entry price - I simply don't view it as value for money.
There has been no price hike for online tickets and there is no indication of one for gate prices. And how does staff numbers affect your value for money?
ponder

MakoMania wrote:
ponder wrote:As for not going - I shan't be visiting Alton Towers this year, personally - as taking the ride line-up, reduction in staff numbers and drop in opening days/hours in to consideration, along with yet another hike in entry price - I simply don't view it as value for money.
There has been no price hike for online tickets and there is no indication of one for gate prices. And how does staff numbers affect your value for money?
Fewer staff members will, generally, equal poorer customer service.

I'm sure it's been confirmed elsewhere on the forum that gate ticket prices have risen by £1. It may seem an insignificant amount, but any raise to gate price when the attraction count has gone down is poor.
MakoMania

ponder wrote:
MakoMania wrote:
Fewer staff members will, generally, equal poorer customer service.

I'm sure it's been confirmed elsewhere on the forum that gate ticket prices have risen by £1. It may seem an insignificant amount, but any raise to gate price when the attraction count has gone down is poor.
No price hike has been confirmed. Suit yourself but I'll still be going :lol
xylyx

Yeah I'll be going too, a few times, looking forward to trying out galactica and getting back on the smiler. Hex closing due to renovations would make sense, and wouldn't feel quite as much of a let down but I guess we shall see. I look forward to seeing what the tlc idea brings to the general feel of the place.

I hope it schemes what they are wanting to achieve :)
stealthsmiler

I think these closures will be a good thing in the long run. And I also think by not going this year your aren't helping the resort to recover. When you break down the reduced line up. There's only really Hex and Ripsaw that were missing. It's a general opinion on here that N:ST is a poor attraction (although I like it) and The Flume isn't that big of a loss. Most here won't go on the driving school. So we haven't lost that much however have gained with the Air retheme and reopening of the Smiler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan.B

Whatevers true or not should be confirmed in the next few days. they said they would reveal changes to the lineup later this month.
Aidan Lowe

Ryan.B wrote:Whatevers true or not should be confirmed in the next few days. they said they would reveal changes to the lineup later this month.
They know full well whats remaining closed but from a business point of view its not wise to announce such things while there is a sale on.

Announce a few new attractions for 2016, have a sale on, get that money in the bank then announce rides will remain closed. Hopefully they'll reveal some more insight maybe a blog post and I hope they don't just fob us off with these attractions are part of the TLC scheme, I would love for them to tell us what exactly is going on be it refurb, removal or what.

So by the end of the month hopefully we'll have some clarity.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
bengutt

stealthsmiler wrote:I think these closures will be a good thing in the long run. And I also think by not going this year your aren't helping the resort to recover. When you break down the reduced line up. There's only really Hex and Ripsaw that were missing. It's a general opinion on here that N:ST is a poor attraction (although I like it) and The Flume isn't that big of a loss. Most here won't go on the driving school. So we haven't lost that much however have gained with the Air retheme and reopening of the Smiler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the big things they have lost is the coverage of the gap between the big rollercoasters and cbeebies land. Hex, flume, Charlie and the driving school are a large percentage of the 5 - 10 year old's rides. That really only leaves RMT, rapids, and duel. Those above 6) can get to sonic and 13, but to loose 4 rides is a massive hit.

It's enough of an effect on my visits that I'm considering not renewing my family annual pass for the 5th time. Although saying that I'll probably still renew in the hope that it isn't as bad as it currently seems.
Aidan Lowe

Photo Credit @topdogdays

alicheesy

*waves goodbye* Oh that is rather emotional. Will be strange it not being there :cry: unless they are secretly just taking it away to make it more amazing :sus:
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
MakoMania

They said they were going to announce the closures in January. Only one day left, they'll either fail to announce them or pull a Smiler.
Aidan Lowe

Not official but a few people at TS and enthusiasts have got word Ripsaw is becoming spare parts for Aqua Spin at their park in Germany.

As for the ride lineup, while they still are adamant the lineup is being "confirmed" I knew they'd wait for the MAP/Short break sales to end before hand. If people knew they would be closing some midweek dates as well as closing / removing rides people would just not buy / book with them.
MakoMania

I've been talking to people and I've heard some ideas over why AT haven't announced the ride closures for 2016 yet. This is by no means based on any sort of evidence but if they have seen an upwards trend in online ticket sales/hotel bookings following Galactica's announcement it could be possible that they are reconsidering some of the closures (hence a delayed announcement) -particularly Sub-Terra as it is in Forbidden Valley-the main focus area for the 2016 season.

Thoughts?