Ride Closures/Removals in 2016

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
S.J_O'Grady

Looking at posts to AT on Facebook, it's nothing but complaint after complaint after complaint. I'm kind of hoping that the public outrage might push them to reopen the rides sooner. While I don't want them to rush the TLC, there's only so much that can be done and it surely can't take all season. (plus Sub Terra was closed for half of last year too!)
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Jammydodger

Gutted about the courtyard BBQ, was one of my favourite places to eat. I can only assume this means there'll be no more pirate show too?
nemyjoe

i guess they are trying to get as much money back as they can because of the smiler but raising the tickets fee but closing 6 of the most popular attractions on the park isn't a good idea. personally i don't think that retheming air to galactica wasn't the best idea due to the removal of ripsaw and the flume. i would of liked to see a new flat ride to replace ripsaw than galactica. i just dont want my beloved alton towers to go down hill and not being able to get back up
Krazycoaster

Bad move on Alton's behalf. I agree with shutting the rides, they are doing a good job of sprucing up the whole place and bringing the magic back. But having prices over £50?! IMO they should have lowered entry this season and boosted it back up next year when things are back open. Of course the public aren't going to like this, they're paying a fortune when a good handful of rides are shut for maintenance. From a business and marketing point of you it seems daft to me. I know they need to regain after losses last year but this is not the answer.
zakwoolley1

I don't know if any one has heard but The Pirates of Mutiny Bay show is supposedly closed for the season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
ROYJESS

Apparently Alton have confirmed that the pirate show will not be running this year, despite the fact they still have it advertised on their website. [-X

They also still advertising all their closed rides on their website, unless you scroll over the pictures, you will never know that these rides are actually closed, which can also be misleading [-X
Adam.W

ridetimes.co.uk has been updated.
CJH

Wow, whilst it is a bad move to not reflect pricing onto the offering of what's on offer.
F&B units closed.
Rides removed.
Areas fenced off.
Closed rides,
Shows removed.
I just don't get it, hopefully they will be able to come back from this.
Maybe a major relaunch as such once the TLC programme is complete, New entertainments team with various shows and characters around the park, give each area a specific original character to fit the theme?
Add a few flat rides, a new water ride and a major rollercoaster within a few years.
Create new dining ideas and up the offering maybe even bring back McDonald's into the resort.
118hazaman

I think you all expected way too much from AT this year. You have to realise that the accident has caused a huge negative short term effect on the resort. Money is being saved through cost cutting measures; while areas are also be renovated. This process is not short term. In 2018 I expect to see the resort back in it's prime, but until then things must change.

TL;DR - Stop whining, things will improve in the future.
ROYJESS

Yes the accident has had an effect on last years numbers for different reasons and now the Smiler will be back up and running along with the newly re-themed Air (Galatica), I can see the guest numbers will be back up again this season, not necessarily back to their normal guest numbers expectations.

For the past few years, Alton has introduce some cost cutting measures and I personally don't believe that this years cost cutting is solely due to the accident. Despite the fact that last season their revenue was down, I do believe that they still made a very healthy profit.

I'm very excited about the possibility of them replacing the Flume and ripsaw with something new and revamping some of the closed rides. However I do think this could be a bit of a carrot on a stick.

I think what has angered a lot of people is the fact that they have left the official announcement/confirmation of these closures very last minute and many families have already parted with their hard earn't cash (Park tickets and overnight stays) to visit a theme park expecting to have a reasonable variety of rides to suit families of all ages and heights.

If people were informed of these ride closures prior to booking/planning their trip to Alton, then they will be able to make a better inform choice with regards to visiting Alton this year or another alternative theme park instead.

From what I understand. these rides and pirate show are not printed on this seasons park map, but are clearly still showing on the website. This is totally misleading and unacceptable.

Not everyone follows these forum or Alton on social media, So there are still plenty of people out there who haven't got a clue about these ride closures or even know about the mid week park closures.

I can still see there will be plenty of guest who haven't got a clue of these changes turning up at the park only to be disappointed.
118hazaman

You are correct here. AT have been abysmal at communicating with the general public over the past months. This should not have happened. It has just caused confusion, and as you have said, has also made people angry. However, the park is not in a stable position. What they had planned for 2016 could be somewhat different to what we are getting. I think Alton Towers themselves didn't really know the schedule until very late, as they were busy attempting to make one after the accident.

I also expect throughout 2016, and 2017, visitor numbers will slowly improve. Hopefully Alton Towers communication skills will also improve with it.
ROYJESS

118hazaman wrote:I think Alton Towers themselves didn't really know the schedule until very late, as they were busy attempting to make one after the accident.
The ride closures where rumoured back in November last year, they would have planned and sent their park maps to press some time ago. They certainly wanted to get their MAPs and Hotel promotion out of the way before they made any official announcements with regards to the ride line up.

If they have no plans to reopen certain rides and shows this year and the fact that these are not printed on the park map is an indication that they have no plans to re-open these any time this season, then these rides and shows should be removed from the website or should be clearly marked as closed for the season. This information is hidden behind each photo.

Here is a company that is trying to win back the trust of the general public since last years horrific incident. They way they have gone about all this is certainly not going to rebuild any trust with the public again.

I suppose we will have to all wait and see what the 2017 season brings.
Justin

I am willing to give Alton Towers the benefit of the doubt this season; however, I hope that rolling ride closures do not occur next year or into the final year of the current TLC scheme.

It does seem like The Flume development is their main priority at the moment, along with Cloud Cuckoo Land. To be honest these areas need it desperately! This could explain why parts have been closed off this year, including Hex, Driving School and Wobbly World. I expect a relaunch of both areas next year with new attractions and the reopening of Hex and Driving School. With Charlie's IP running it's course, I also expect a re-theme to tie in with the new look CCL! I wonder if an IP will be brought to the area?

I do believe further work is needed in Forbidden Valley. The site of Ripsaw from the pictures seen looks totally unacceptable. The tarmacking looks a mess! I have no idea what is up with Sub-Terra, although understand that this is likely down to the restraints that plagued the ride last season. When I went there in July, there was a lot attempts by staff to lock down the bars. Unfortunately they did not register on numerous attempts, but I am not sure if Merlin will call it quits on this ride considering the money spent on its tweaks last year!
Everton-99

All signage from hex has been removed - even the banners to the side of the doors have been removed - if you had never been to AT you wouldnt realise that it used to be a ride!
Themeparksandy1981

Is there any pics of the closed rides? Are they all fenced off like the Flume?
bensaund

Poor communication, rides removed and prices increased.

Thorpe Park are for a second year giving annual passes away for £49.99
Alton Towers £120 (A MAP is cheaper), this is the second year they have done this

WHY??????

What are they playing at? If they did an annual pass sale for £49.99, people would come multiple times, pay parking each time, buy over priced food, photos etc...

Does it not make business sense to get guests to re-visit multiple times and spend more, make the queues longer so more people buy fast track tickets??
Aidan Lowe

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Is there any pics of the closed rides? Are they all fenced off like the Flume?
Well afaik Charlie, Hex & N:ST have all had ride details / entrances / logos removed.

In regards to N:ST whether this notice is just a very creative way to say look it's shut or while it had issues with restraints they are now taking the time to change or alter the ride's story then we'll have to wait and see.

Hex & N:ST are very story driven so I hope in both cases closure is due to AT changing up the ride experience in the way things pan out.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Themeparksandy1981

I think it's all down to cost cutting. The amount of Staff needed to run Hex,Charlie and Sub terra. Can't really understand Wobble World but have always said that room always been poor compared to the indoor play areas family parks offer. What about the driving school as I guess the deal with Peugeot ran out.
NemesisRider

Having been today, Charlie and the chocolate factory has had all signage removed. If you didn't know that there was a ride there in previous years, you wouldn't think there was a ride there at all!

I'll post a mini-trip report in another topic tonight :)
wolfwynd

Having been today all the signage has been removed from CatCF, Hex, Sub-Terra and the Flume has lots of hoardings up. Ripsaw's space just looks weird without it there. So many eateries shut :( I hope it gets better soon.