Ride Closures/Removals in 2016

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Although I can understand your frustration with Ripsaw's removal and lack of replacement, I think we'd be expecting a bit much for Towers to remove and install a new major attraction in The Flume's location (which has been confirmed to be coming) over closed season.
stealthsmiler

I would much rather wait for the new ride and see the money being invested in TLC like it is, look how much better the park is looking! Its not like we arent getting nothing new as we are getting the new restaurant and the new Galactica experience. I do agree that we need some new flats ASAP though!
tcw1993

scruffy_ wrote:I think it's disgraceful that Ripsaw has been removed and the flume retired with no replacements at all in place!
These things take time which a lot of people don't understand. AT is infamous for its super strict planning rules. So it's not as easy as taking 2 rides out and replacing them. I mean look at submission that sites still not got a machine on it and probably won't for a while. And I can almost guarantee that there will be rides to replace the both of these, AT spends years doing research about what to build and where, so I think people need to just thing about the amount of time and work that goes into these machines, they don't pop up and get designed and built overnight unfortunately. Sorry to rant but I see his sort of thing on here an awful lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Aidan Lowe

Judging by this response it seems The Flume has already been removed from the park.

The original question was: "@altontowers the flume and ripsaw will be missed but already got tickets for April will they still be open then??"
@n_wheeldon These attractions have now been removed from the Resort, Nat. You'll be able to enjoy Galactica which launches 24th March!
So preparations very much underway. Anticipating seeing construction/foundation work happening throughout the season? [-o<
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
xylyx

Aye, I like all the teasing about the replacement and I'm guarding my anticipation to avoid any personal over hyping but look forward to getting a sneak peak at something new happening....
Ryan.B

This tweet says to me we can expect something in forbidden valley in the next couple of years as well!

Jack

I didn't know that Alton Towers had a ride called Risaw, sad to see it going ;)

In all seriousness, I look forward to seeing what Towers have in store for that area of the park, who knows, maybe we could end up with something other than a garden this time :P
Rob
Admin
Admin

Ryan.B wrote:This tweet says to me we can expect something in forbidden valley in the next couple of years as well!

They said something similar when they removed Submission :-k
lighty89

I went at weekend for Pirates & Princesses weekend, went to the SeaLife and saw that flume was still standing on Saturday.
MakoMania

Looks like our fears have been realised as ride closures are now listed on the website.

Looks just as was expected.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Max

Yep. Been confirmed that Hex, Sub-Terra, Charlie, Driving School and Wobble World will not open for the 2016 season, yet the gate price increases.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Themeparksandy1981

It says on the website on all the closed attractions: is currently unavailable while we sprinkle some Towers Loving Care across the theme park. Visit our blog for more details about our ongoing refurbishment programme across the Resort. So it looks like it's all rides that use quite amount of staff to run.
Sawboss

Not so bothered I'm only going at Scarefest then, as 4 rides I would have definitely gone on are either shut or already removed. Fingers crossed they might open later in the season.
craig.day.92

wow thats a lot, Ride times will be bigger then ever! This TLC best be up to a high standard to jusitfy all this.
Aidan Lowe

craig.day.92 wrote:This TLC best be up to a high standard to jusitfy all this.
This is what it boils down to.

There is a lot of angry people it seems, sure it's understandable but I'd take downtime for an overall up to date better experience of the ones receiving TLC then just letting them age without alteration and I feel this is what people fail to understand.

Alton Towers are doing this for the benefit of the guests for future visits but currently people are getting pitchforks out because they won't be open this year and kind of fail to see ahead.

The park is transitioning into a new period and a huge overhaul it seems and people simply need to deal with it.
Luce

It is a shame that some rides aren't reopening this year but I do hope Hex opens again at some point as it is one of the best things at AT and I always make time to go on it whenever I visit the park.
Dan

The most disappointing of these closures for me is Hex. It's one of my favourite attractions at Towers and one I always ride at least once so I'll definitely miss it.

The rest, while not having a direct impact on my day, are still a far cry away from what Alton Towers should be. If, like some have said they are doing this in order to bring Towers back to its feet and on the way to how it was when it was at its best then I'll forgive them, but if it's just Merlin penny-pinching then I'll be far from happy.

The next three years are pivotal in the long-term future of the park and I sure hope Merlin know what they're doing.
xylyx

Yeah as I started earlier in the thread I will miss Hex more than the others, however if it's due to improvements and whatnot then fair enough :) TBH I'm looking forward to getting on the Smiler again and trying out Galactica so for me personally it'll be minor.
Aidan Lowe

While the term mothballing is making its rounds from people it does seem that in fact it is not a cunning ploy to keep them closed for the sake of them to save money but Hex at least is undergoing some TLC.
@DeadlyLedlie17 Hi, We can confirm that Hex is receiving some tender loving care after 15 seasons of operation.
While no re-opening dates have been confirmed I'd be surprised if some of them on the list remained closed the entire 2016 season.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I think whilst the Towers Loving Care programme is seeing some genuine effort put in all around the park, when it comes to ride closures it is a convenient reason to use. Whilst it may be true that some work is being done to the attractions closed under TLC, I don't expect it to be anything that couldn't have been done during closed season, but by doing it during the season they are able to keep the rides closed and save on operating costs.