Ride Closures/Removals in 2016

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
fitchy

With the closure of the flume do we know if its been removed or will be sbno for 2016 ?
MakoMania

fitchy wrote:With the closure of the flume do we know if its been removed or will be sbno for 2016 ?
We don't know for sure, but the rumours suggested a complete removal of the Flume.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Sawboss

I'll miss the 'putputputputputput' of Ripsaws water jets, a strangely calming soundtrack for Forbidden Valley.
MakoMania

Sawboss wrote:I'll miss the 'putputputputputput' of Ripsaws water jets, a strangely calming soundtrack for Forbidden Valley.
Hopefully we should have a new roller coaster there between 2017-2018 :)
theparklifekid

I didn't want to believe RIPSAW was being taken away, but MI7 pretty much slapped me with the truth that it was.

RIP ripsaw 1997-2015
Forever in our memories cutting it...
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Liam.W

I hope they put some theming there. That concrete is an eye-sore!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

scruffy_

theparklifekid wrote:I didn't want to believe RIPSAW was being taken away, but MI7 pretty much slapped me with the truth that it was.

RIP ripsaw 1997-2015

i hope that area gets filled by part of a new ride!
MakoMania

scruffy_ wrote:
theparklifekid wrote:I didn't want to believe RIPSAW was being taken away, but MI7 pretty much slapped me with the truth that it was.

RIP ripsaw 1997-2015

i hope that area gets filled by part of a new ride!

Hopefully SW8 in 2017 or 2018. More likely 2018 now.
Owen

To be completely honest I don't see that area being used for much for awhile, in my opinion the most likely case scenario would be it is used as an outdoor seating area to eventually be replaced with a flat ride. In regards to SW8, it hasn't been 100% confirmed that it would have been going here, and for some reason I just can't see it right now. The reason being is that the resort hadn't purchased a wooden supported coaster (as we can assume it will be or was) because the public were believed to think they weren't safe, so would it really be in the resorts best interest to install one just after the recent incident?

I don't know I just feel as though those select plans may have been pushed back, and swapped out for an alternative.
Last edited by Owen on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakoMania

Yes I think that the wooden coaster may now be SW9.
118hazaman

After 34 years of soaking our guests, it’s time for The Flume to retire.
The above quote is from the most recent Alton Tower's blog. It also mentions the closure and removal of Ripsaw, as well as the recent changes due to Towers Loving Care.The blog can be found here.
JonDoesTT

118hazaman wrote:
After 34 years of soaking our guests, it’s time for The Flume to retire.
The above quote is from the most recent Alton Tower's blog. It also mentions the closure and removal of Ripsaw, as well as the recent changes due to Towers Loving Care.The blog can be found here.
I'm so sad and angry at the removal of the flume, though. I'm going to miss it so much :(

Credit to NemesisRider
Ryan.B

I would assume we'll be seeing a family- thrill or thrill water ride in the next two years, battle galleons is only really popular about a week or two a year and Rapids isn't really that wet if you're unlucky (or for some people, lucky!) Mack water coaster anyone? :)
NemesisRider

I've called a MACK water coaster for a short while, this further cements the idea to me at least. Also if it leads to Merlin getting MACK mega coasters that's good by me :lol
Whoguru5

I never went on ripsaw i'm very upset I decided not to ride it but i'm sure there a rides like it out there I can experience at the very least and while I enjoyed the flume when I was young for a while I have always gone to AT during the colder months add that with it's less than stellar theme I think it's ok to let it go.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
ry1996

Well Altons comments on their Facebook page are certainly quite interesting regarding the future of the site and the plans they have
Themeparksandy1981

I Hate the fact Merlin think they can remove or leave rides SBNO without no plans in place to replace them straight away. This would never have happened under Tussuards ownership. We still waiting for a replacement for Submission.
Arwen

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:I Hate the fact Merlin think they can remove or leave rides SBNO without no plans in place to replace them straight away. This would never have happened under Tussuards ownership. We still waiting for a replacement for Submission.
If this was John Broome we would have a ride there ASAP. It may not have had planning permission but a ride would be there! :lol
I really think the park needs to gain that flare back when they strived to be the best they could be. Broome, especially in the early 80's took a real pride in the park and replaced rides quickly.

I really hope we get an exciting, well executed ride in the Flume's area.
Themeparksandy1981

In the 90's I loved the fact that I could go to Alton Towers and get a good ride count. There was a great mixture of coasters,flats and top dark rides added. Like now unless you love coasters or under the age of 5 there isn't much to do at Alton Towers now.
scruffy_

I think it's disgraceful that Ripsaw has been removed and the flume retired with no replacements at all in place!