The Future of Spinball Whizzer and Adventure Land

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Themeparksandy1981

Do you think it could go to Legoland and rethemed to fit in there?
owenrita121

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Do you think it could go to Legoland and rethemed to fit in there?
No.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Master_feedback

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Do you think it could go to Legoland and rethemed to fit in there?
It's not a young kids ride thats why it doesn't fit in where it is any more so again its not suitable for legoland and Chessington (the next age group up) already has a very similar ride

I think over by Charlie would be better or in place of and move driving school down to where sonic is now
Justin

As Master_feedback has said, with Chessington having Dragon's Fury less than 30 miles away, then it will not move to Legoland. I think is likely that Alton will keep Spinball but will just move and retheme it.

I'm not sure who suggested it, but Gloomy Wood seems an ideal location for Spinball. The rollercoaster would be great going through the trees, and if another entrance is created down near Forbidden Valley then this would bridge the gap.
Whoguru5

I would like another ride in gloomy woods, and if it also means sonic spinball gets a nice new theme that's even better.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
Themeparksandy1981

Legoland is aimed at kids up to 12 years old. My niece was 7 when she was tall enough to ride Spinball. I doubt they will move it to another part of the park.
Burniel

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Legoland is aimed at kids up to 12 years old. My niece was 7 when she was tall enough to ride Spinball. I doubt they will move it to another part of the park.
I'm sorry, but I disagree.

The last time I went to Legoland was when I was eleven and I found it rather boring. I was standing with 4-year-olds for up to an hour to ride something that's about as thrilling as the Runaway Mine Train. Legoland's target audience is kids at an age where they love playing with Lego, which is generally 3-9. With Chessington and Thorpe Park just down the road, 12-year-olds have much better things to do with their time and I do not think that moving Sonic Spinball to Legoland would change this.

I can't see why the ride really has to go. It still racks up a reasonable queue on peak days (so much so that it is necessary to put it on ERT) and is a great "transition coaster". A better theme would of course be nice, but moving it to a different area or park would be expensive and would make very little difference to its rider count.
Dan

Dan.B wrote:I can't see why the ride really has to go. It still racks up a reasonable queue on peak days (so much so that it is necessary to put it on ERT) and is a great "transition coaster". A better theme would of course be nice, but moving it to a different area or park would be expensive and would make very little difference to its rider count.
The two main reasons why Sonic gets a substantial queue are its location and its shocking throughput.

It's the first coaster that people see so some will choose to ride it first out of convenience.

If for example it was located at the far end of Forbidden Valley I don't think it would get anywhere near the length of queue that it can get on busy days.
Burniel

Dan.N wrote:
Dan.B wrote:I can't see why the ride really has to go. It still racks up a reasonable queue on peak days (so much so that it is necessary to put it on ERT) and is a great "transition coaster". A better theme would of course be nice, but moving it to a different area or park would be expensive and would make very little difference to its rider count.
The two main reasons why Sonic gets a substantial queue are its location and its shocking throughput.

It's the first coaster that people see so some will choose to ride it first out of convenience.

If for example it was located at the far end of Forbidden Valley I don't think it would get anywhere near the length of queue that it can get on busy days.
If the ride would not be as popular in a different area of the park, why move it?

It doesn't really matter why it's busy. So long as it gains a queue, it's in the park's interest to keep it as is instead of wasting money. You could say the same for Vampire - front of the park, bad throughput - but that doesn't mean we should go moving it.

Don't get me wrong, if Towers wanted to remove Spinball and replace with a Cobra's Curse-style MACK spinner I'd be delighted, but I don't see why they'd want to.
Alex

They'd move it because it says it in the LTDP ;)
ASturge21

The LTDP always comes up in these threads.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Alex

Probably because it's relevant to discussions as it gives an idea what AT will be doing in the future
ASturge21

But in light of recent events will it be followed to the t? I doubt it

Dan

ASturge21 wrote:But in light of recent events will it be followed to the t? I doubt it

It may not all come to fruition but I expect it will still be able to indicate what the resort will do in the future.

The LTDP hinted at the removal of Ripsaw and look where that is now.....
owenrita121

I can't see Spinball going anytime soon, it's one of the more popular coasters in the park because it's fun for everyone. It's big enough for kids to feel like they've been on a thrilling coaster and it's run enough for teenagers and adults for enjoy it. It pulls massive queues all day, not just at opening, and that isn't just down to capacity, it's fun ride and an excellent step up coaster.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Alex

ASturge21 wrote:But in light of recent events will it be followed to the t? I doubt it

Its more than just a document AT just produce, it's more for the council so I'd have thought there would be some expectation that they'll follow through on it.
Whoguru5

If they don't renew the sonic theme I wonder if they would look for another IP to use with it or just make their own theme?

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
RollercoasterRob

Sonic Spinball is an absolutely great ride for all the family. However I do think that a Cebeebies expansion could threaten the rides future at the park. I think that if they do want to expand Ceebibies Land, they should move Sonic Spinball to the old Coaster Corner as an expansion of Cloud Cookoo Land, that way, it would also attract more people to that area of the park!
Tom170499

RollercoasterRob wrote:Sonic Spinball is an absolutely great ride for all the family. However I do think that a Cebeebies expansion could threaten the rides future at the park. I think that if they do want to expand Ceebibies Land, they should move Sonic Spinball to the old Coaster Corner as an expansion of Cloud Cookoo Land, that way, it would also attract more people to that area of the park!
Only issue with that is that Sonic is quite a loud ride, especially the lift hill so correct me if I'm wrong but is there a problem with the noise levels in Coaster Corner?
Burniel

Tom170499 wrote:
RollercoasterRob wrote:Sonic Spinball is an absolutely great ride for all the family. However I do think that a Cebeebies expansion could threaten the rides future at the park. I think that if they do want to expand Ceebibies Land, they should move Sonic Spinball to the old Coaster Corner as an expansion of Cloud Cookoo Land, that way, it would also attract more people to that area of the park!
Only issue with that is that Sonic is quite a loud ride, especially the lift hill so correct me if I'm wrong but is there a problem with the noise levels in Coaster Corner?
Correct, I believe that is why the coasters there were removed in the first place. I doubt that the park will move the coaster to another area of the park anyway as this is expensive and pointless.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.