Possible Dark Ride development?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Adam.W

I know with SW8 and such, we probably won't be getting a dark ride before then, but it's worth noting that in the Tower's long term development plan, they stated that we may be getting a large scale dark ride, possibly before 2020. I know this will be speculation, but I haven't seen a topic where we can discuss possible sites and things that we'd like to see in Alton.
Could we be seeing Charlie and the Chocolate factory being changed to something else after the contract expires? What is/will be happening to nemesis sub terra? Discuss :D
Alex

The Nemesis Sub Terra changes are already being discussed in the "The Future of Nemesis Sub-Terra" topic.

With regards to Charlie, I think AT missed an opportunity with the ride as they should have put a shop at the end of it selling Wonka bars (although that would have meant another licencing agreement.) Not sure if they'd put the dark ride there as it would have to have a more child friendly theme due to CCCL. I would say the most likely place would be where Duel is as that is an area that needs development/would be a good theme for a dark ride.
Adam.W

Yeah, I was thinking a new dark ride in a completely new place, new building etc.
Themeparksandy1981

With Charlie been 10 years old next year. I guess the contract has been renewed as it would be removed at the end of the season with a new attraction for 2016/17. Duel and Hex isn't going anywhere soon.
Other areas they could use is the building that housed the Nick attraction,cafe and shop.
cookiee_munster

there's also coaster corner just above cloud cuckoo land. its a pretty large(ish) area and considering its pretty close to residential areas a coaster or anything noisy is out of the question.

an indoor coaster, a possibility. but yeah, i think it would make a pretty good area for another dark ride...
DarkRideLover

I hope youre right. Would love to know what they have in mind at this stage.
Themeparksandy1981

What is coaster corner been really used for nowadays? You can't really see much but trees,old light posts and old parts of Alton Towers when you ride the twirling toadstools. That's another thing where would they move this so they can open the area up again.
3Dimensions

Everyone knows the Flume is outdated, couldn't it go there and if it is really ambitious maybe it could stretch over to Gloomy Wood/Haunted Hallow?
BenBowser

There is definitely something lined up for Duel in the next few years. That's for sure.

Charlie should really be on the list too, I mean come on, it's dire! With the ride's contract due to run out soon, one would hope they plan a full gutting of the building, allowing for an entirely new children's dark ride to take its place.

It's about time Towers got some mainstream, high-end Dark Rides too. Hex is great, it really is, but nobody has the slightest clue of what to expect before they go in, so unfortunately, it can never be a major attraction.
Danny

Ben.S wrote:There is definitely something lined up for Duel in the next few years. That's for sure.

Charlie should really be on the list too, I mean come on, it's dire! With the ride's contract due to run out soon, one would hope they plan a full gutting of the building, allowing for an entirely new children's dark ride to take its place.

It's about time Towers got some mainstream, high-end Dark Rides too. Hex is great, it really is, but nobody has the slightest clue of what to expect before they go in, so unfortunately, it can never be a major attraction.
I don't agree that Hex 'can never be a major attraction.' Hex was a major attraction in its day, and often had 2 hour+ long queues when it first opened. Just like Nemesis, the initial outburst of the ride has gone, but they are still both strong attractions that go down well with the GP. It also helps that both rides have amazing throughput which is why you won't see queues :)
Benjsh85

Hex is a first class attraction (for it's type) Everything from when you enter the towers to start the queue, right till the very end is very creepy and eerie. It was a fantastic addition to the park and I ALWAYS make sure I get on it during a visit even now. It's one of my "Must do's".

N-ST hasn't worked for me the same. Potential is there and the back story too......but I just don't feel the same about it as Hex. I really wanted something closer to the old Alien Encounter ride at Disney. Now that would have been special.

Charlie is a good laugh for kids, especially the elevator bit. My nephews love that part. The boat ride is incredibly dull though I reckon.
BenBowser

People don't exactly go to Alton Towers and say "we must ride Hex!", unless they're weird like me. As it isn't, sadly, in anyway shape or form, a headliner attraction.

In a similar way to Sub-Terra, Hex was popular when it first opened, but once the draw of "it's new" wore off, nobody really had any incentive to ride.

I agree, it's wonderful. The best dark ride in the country (though that isn't exactly hard). It just doesn't have that blockbuster status like some of the coasters.

I agree, the park deserves a popular dark ride, which is something it will hopefully get in the next few years.
Aidan Lowe

Only thing about Hex that I love is its location. Those rooms apart from the projection room are ace, very well themed, spooky and old.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dom

I think the problem with all off AT's dark rides (Except N:ST) is they seem a bit out of date. They just feel like they have been given up on with regards to TLC. I think the best thing they can do is comepltely strip out Hex, Duel and Charlie and either re-do them or upgrade them to bring them back to life.
Benjsh85

Dom

Couldn't disagree with you more on Hex. Just like with Thirteen, I appreciate and enjoy Hex a bit more every time I visit. I think it's still a top class attraction.

Brilliant anticipation in the pre shows and queue and a really good story to boot. And the final room where the legend is revealed was done really well. It's the best of it's type (crazy house) I have seen anyway.

Sub Terra feels really gimmicky and cheap to me. I don't think it's all that despite it being the most "up-to-date".
Dom

To me, Hex doesn't have the re-rideable factor, but i am kinda biased considering i can't handle the last room. (Damn my innability to handle spinning!) I only gave the exception to N:ST because of how new it is. I haven't been to AT in about a year, so i am probably not the best person to be commenting on how things are. I'm just going by what i remember. People do like Hex, i can't deny that, i just can't help but feel it needs a bit of updating. (They may have done it since i last went on it, but i don't know as i tend to avoid it given the last room).

Duel and Charlie are the ones that need doing desperately. Since Duel became Duel, its slowly felt like it has been dying. Same with Charlie. They need updating to something a bit more modern and fresh.
Benjsh85

Yeah agree to disagree on Hex then. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

Although I am with you on Duel. As you can probably tell from my Avatar.....I'm a bit of a AT Haunted House fan. I was gutted when it was changed as I think Haunted houses are timeless and don't need updating. They should have just kept it same and changed some effects. The Zombies take the creepy nature away. Just feels like a shooting arcade.
MerlinFan

Totally agree with you Benjsh85 - can you tell I'm a Haunted House fan too?

Also love Hex but now find the walkthrough parts a bit boring as it never changes and I think I pretty much know the script to the video off by heart! Doesn't engage me like it used to (even though I love that it's the voice of the actor who plays the head butler in Downton Abbey - can't remember his name. Also, does anyone else think the actor who plays the Earl really looks like Richard E. Grant?) The ride itself is amazing - I get goosebumps every time! The music is awesome.
stealthsmiler

I think with the exception of one or two things - Hex is fine. It is meant to look old, not shiny and new. One of the things that needs to change is that you can see the dummy underneath the witch. Maybe some more powerful effects with something new that re-riders wont expect to see. Hex is always on my must do list.

I would like to see a new dark ride that has more of a ride to it. By that I meant more than just a normal transit system. Nemesis Sub Terra was good with the drop towers and I think it is well themed, its just the ending which lets it down. I was thinking about it the other day and if I were in charge, it would end with an actual maze, with dead ends etc. This would then be done out with effects such as animatronics, loud bangs, wind etc, to make it scary and feel like something is genuinely after you. The maze would also be truly hard to navigate with a well hidden direction line so that it isnt ruined. Then at Scarefest actors would be added to the maze to make it scarier. This would mean that less staff could run it without ruining the ending.

I would like a ride that starts off like duel - slow with lots of theming before ending with a short launched coaster in the dark with an inversion or two. (although that bit may be too much like 13)
Altontowersbarlow

I would like Cloud Cuckoo Land to be completely re-themed to fit a new dark ride in the area. I have a concept that I would like to share although this is purely for creative purposes. I am aware that it is unlikely that the resort would follow through with a development with the following theme. I will describe my idea as vividly as possible so the post does not become boring.

Imagine a little German village tucked away behind the shadowy ruins of the towers, petit cottages line the streets and colourful flower beds paint the courtyard. Glittering lights line the rooftops and vintage lamps hang from the trees. Despite the apparent beauty; a closer look reveals a dominating structure scarring the landscape of the idyllic scene. Cogs whirl and shiver as pistons hiss and splutter, long chimneys mock trees like metal imposters. This curious building is where the story begins.

The village of Vorstellen was situated in a peaceful and traditional area of Germany, east of Rothenburg. The Village was known for its traditional authentic toy production, made by skilled woodsmen and fine craft makers. Toy makers all around the world would marvel at the magnificent toys made in the magical village and travel far and wide to learn the secret of true craftsmanship. Despite this, there was a problem. No matter how hard travelling toy makers tried, they could not replicate the true magic of Vorstellen's toys. With only limited special craftsmen within the petite village, Vorstellen could not keep up with demand for their now world famous toys. The mayor of Vorstellen was looking for a solution to this problem so the village could continue to spread the magic of toys throughout the world.

After months of pondering, the mayor hit a blank and began to give up. Before all hope had been diminished, he was approached by a mysterious gentleman who claimed to be from the cities hundreds upon hundreds of miles away from the village of Vorstellen. This strange man claimed he had the perfect idea to ensure that more of Vorstellen's toys could be made, resulting in more magic around the world. All the mayor had to do was sign a contract. The mayor (in fear of loosing the fame of Vorstellen) hastily signed the contract and the mysterious city gentleman disappeared.

Weeks followed and the community grew more concerned about activity in the village. Large machines were sneaking into the village under the cover of starlight and towering walls were peaking over the tree tops. Daylight brought peace but the darkness brought the echoing sounds of pistons, cogs, hammers, conveyer belts and the grinding of metal. curious about the occurrences in the village, a disgruntled group of residents ventured behind the obscuring boundaries. They discovered a crude and cold box littered with frightening machines and puffing chimneys. The village was overshadowed and polluted by the behemoth structure and the people of Vorstellen called for the Mayor to take action. The Mayor demanded to see the person responsible for the monstrosity. A crowd gathered outside the building in protest as the mayor asked to see the man in charge. Finally a metal door slithered open from the centre of the building and out stepped the mysterious city gentleman. He declared that the contract signed by the mayor had signed over the right to Vorstellen's Toys, Vorstellen's people and the village itself. With a booming voice the city gentleman further declared that the village now belonged to Steampunk. co. Ever since that day a foreboding toy factory moulded from pure steel has stood in Vorstellen, destroying all of the heritage that ever existed in the once magical community. Vorstellen was now known as the"STEAMPUNK QUARTER"

That story explains the main idea of my proposed re-theme of Cloud Cuckoo Land. Half of the area would be themed to the original traditional village and the other half would be steampunk themed. All steampunk theming would be gentle and classy to match the family atmosphere of the area. Existing rides in the area would be re-themed as shown below. (Frog Hopper would be removed)

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory- The show building for this existing attraction would be extended and used for a suspended transit system that takes visitors around the grimy steampunk factory and ends with a small launch and coaster section due to an overloaded toy making machine. The new name for this attraction would be: "Steampunk Adventures"

Ice Age 4D- This attraction would be completely overhauled and transformed into a fully functioning 4D cinema with comfy seating and more effects. The attraction would tell the story of Vorstellen in the form of a fairy-tale adventure. The new name for this attraction would be: "Vorstellen: Enchanted Nights"

Twirling Toadstool: This ride would accommodate gentle cog and steampunk theming to match the theme of a discarded machine used to build the factory. The new name for this attraction would be: " Mechanism"

The Carousel: The carousel would remain exactly the same to replicate the peaceful/ traditional theme of the village before it was converted to the "Steampunk Quarter".

Wobble World: The building that houses this attraction would now accommodate an indoor play area/ equipment themed around an enchanted traditional toy shop. The new name for this attraction would be: "The Toy Emporium"

Driving School: This attraction would have its cars themed around weird and wonderful steampunk vehicles and machines. The theming around the ride would be changed to twisted metal and quirky structures.

Wobble World café- The cafe would be re-themed to a traditional German bakery and serve German cakes and coffee. The new name for this attraction would be: "Klein Backer" (The Little Bakery)

I hope you enjoyed this little description.