Possible Dark Ride development?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Adam.W

I'd like it if part of the original part also had similar aspects as to that of the Germany in Epcot :)

And the return of toyland tours. :)
mark_h

Towers already has a good selection of dark ride types (Interactive Ghost Train, Water based, Drop Tower, Haunted Swing) some of which have pre/postshow walkthrough elements. Some of these could do with being improved/rethemed.

Any new dark ride (as opposed to a rethemed one) would have to be significantly different to the existing ones.

A dark coaster and a hybrid part-simulator tracked/trackless attraction are the two dark rides that AT is missing.

Depending on the success of the under construction Thorpe Park indoor attraction a new ride based on the same ride system (whatever that is) may be a possibility.

Creating a good dark ride is not easy or cheap, large showbuildings are needed to create an immersive environment (exceptions being very dark coasters and rides set indoors without a large tracked component such as Hex and N:ST). Realistic theming will also add to the cost of construction and maintenance. As has been shown with N:ST the use of actors is expensive and gives the option of cuts occurring, resulting in a degraded ride experience.
cookiee_munster

Altontowersbarlow wrote:I would like Cloud Cuckoo Land to be completely re-themed to fit a new dark ride in the area. I have a concept that I would like to share although this is purely for creative purposes. I am aware that it is unlikely that the resort would follow through with a development with the following theme. I will describe my idea as vividly as possible so the post does not become boring.
it's a really good back story for a theme that really would be great in the park, but its a little forboding and makes the steampunk theme seem like a bad thing. Rather than have some kind of imposing steampunk theme, id make it more of a friendly approach to life, something that's celebrated at improving the way of life in the village. steampunk is quirky, it should be light hearted and fantastical :) its what that area of the park needs!
Adam.W

I always thought steampunk was always fairly family friendly, kind of like ATH, it would work quite well imo.
Matt_1985

Wow, with all the effort that goes into making a film, like the building of animatronic animals and huge sets that are used, why can't we get some decent scenes and animations added to Duel or a new dark ride. The effort that goes into making films seems to be massive when compared to the dark rides of the UK. I mean they build detailed animatronics that will go into 30 seconds of the finished film. Why not take all those talents of the film makers to make a decent, cutting edge dark ride? I know maintenance is a problem but if you employ the builders to maintain their own creations then they will know the ins and outs of their own machines. I don't know...But Disney seem to get away with it.
MakoMania

Matt_1985 wrote:I don't know...But Disney seem to get away with it.
But Disney has a billion dollar budget. Alton doesn't unfortunatley.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
mark_h

Matt_1985 wrote:Wow, with all the effort that goes into making a film, like the building of animatronic animals and huge sets that are used, why can't we get some decent scenes and animations added to Duel or a new dark ride. The effort that goes into making films seems to be massive when compared to the dark rides of the UK. I mean they build detailed animatronics that will go into 30 seconds of the finished film.
There is a huge difference between making a film and making a ride. It is not uncommon to take days to get the 30s of film, a dark ride that lasted days with only a few seconds of action would not be popular.

Camera angles on films are carefully controlled so sets and effects do not have to be complete. The effects do not all have to work at the same time as they are edited together later.

Dark ride animatronics are intensively used moving constantly for hours at a time- film effects only have to work once with hours of setup.

Huge sets need to have huge soundstages- and they can change the set between shots. To have large sets a dark ride need a large showbuilding and an increased ride track length both of which add to the cost.

-----
John Wardley had a theatre background (as well as film) before he started designing rides. Even large theatres are far smaller than movie soundstages and usually have space or layout issues backstage. Sets have to be far more robust, although not theme park robust, and able to be used more than once.
Morgan

Animations are hard to maintain, especially when some are in use every 20 seconds or so, or in the case of Bubbleworks, all day, non-stop. The animations in Bubbleworks were poorly looked after, which is one of the reasons there are few in the current version.
CharlesParry

One of the things John Wardley has said in interviews was that getting something to work once for film, like he did on various bond movies, was incredibly easy compared to something that had to happen every 5 seconds for 200 odd days a year. Creating a quickly resettable mechanism that was also incredibly hard wearing was a massive challenge. Hell even at Disney World you will often find an animatronic or two not working correctly, and they have the money and technicians to keep them going.
tcw1993

Yeah couldn't agree more, they do get a hammering, I remember looking at spinballs chain lift, it idles for a few seconds, starts up, takes a train up, then the cycle starts again 9 months of the year 8 hours a day, these machines take some right battering. So it's much more hard to develop items and props from ideas, it CAN be done but money and reliability is something that is easier said than done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Doopy Dan

On the subject of dark rides for Alton. I take it you have all seen the four, fantastic documentary's recently released by Peter Lambert. That cover the design and construction of The Fifth Dimension, Terror Tomb, Bubbleworks and Alton's Haunted house. Very interesting and they give you an idea of the work that would be involved if Alton were to commission a new full scale dark ride. Which I hope they do. When done right they make up some of best rides at a theme park. Here's the link. If you have not seen them.

https://vimeo.com/darkrides" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aidan Lowe

Nice find Dan!
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Morgan

Ah yes, I'm good friends with Peter and have seen all the episodes. He's doing a fifth part about Hex and (maybe) Valhalla, I'm not entirely sure when that will be ready.
MerlinFan

Thanks for that link - just sat and watched the one about the Fifth Dimension (total nostalgia trip) and The Haunted House. They are really good!
Morgan

That's great to hear that you experienced The Fifth Dimension! What year did you do it?
MerlinFan

It would have been after it was refurbished as that was how I remembered it in the video so would have been very late 80s or early 90s I expect (I would have been 7 or 8). It was probably around the time that the Vampire Ride first opened as that is one my earliest Chessington memories. The circus was still around too. I remember the Fifth Dimenson being my favourite ride and the best bit was when the ride started and you went up the 'hill' and it was as though you were shrinking before going through the TV screen. Magic.